Recommend me albums that sound great on vinyl based off my tastes

For hip-hop, check out Atmosphere, Aesop Rock, Luckyiam... They're all very solid and I think you'll thoroughly enjoy them.

yes!

@Rspkt: Aesop Rock has a few cool songs but (Greatest Pac Man Victory has that incredible LSD verse) but overall his style doesn't appeal to me. I'll give the others a shot. Specific album rec? 

for atmosphere, "when life gives you lemons, you paint that shit gold," or "god loves ugly"

seriously, good stuff. it's thoughtful.

As far as indie folk I would check out Jose Gonzalez's solo record In Our Nature. He's part of Junip. Sharon Van Etten - Tramp is a great record as well. Anything by The Tallest Man On Earth. A Great Big Pile Of Leaves - You Are Always On My Mind. American Football - S/T. Fleet Foxes - both full lengths.

As far as hip-hop goes check out Diamond District - In The Ruff. Oddisee - People See What They Hear.

For Post Rock you could look into Sigur Ros and Godspeed! You Black Emporer.

As far as indie folk I would check out Jose Gonzalez's solo record In Our Nature. He's part of Junip. Sharon Van Etten - Tramp is a great record as well. Anything by The Tallest Man On Earth. A Great Big Pile Of Leaves - You Are Always On My Mind. American Football - S/T. Fleet Foxes - both full lengths.

As far as hip-hop goes check out Diamond District - In The Ruff. Oddisee - People See What They Hear.

I haven't heard Jose's solo stuff. I'm intrigued. And I love Tallest Man on Earth and Fleet Foxes.

And for post rock, Sigur Ros is one of my favorite bands too. Shoulda thrown that on there. I haven't heard Godspeed!, although I've heard good things. 

Not a huge fan of EITS, but I heard them way way after I'd first heard Mogwai. The Mogwai album Happy Songs for Happy People is one of my favourite post-rock records, and that's with me not being a post-rock fan as such. My girlfriend bought The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place by EITS and all I could think was that it was like a less interesting Happy Songs... by Mogwai. She recently bought Happy Songs... on vinyl too, and it sounds great, so I would definitely recommend that despite what you might have heard by Mogwai before.

If you're interested in that stuff it might be worth giving Earth a listen, but maybe avoid the 90's drone albums (I love them, but might not be necessarily what you're after), and go for the slower twangy stuff released in the 2000s.

I suspect you might like Atoms for Peace, a sort of supergroup formed by Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Flea (Red Hot Chilis), Joey Waronker (REM, Beck), Nigel Godrich (Producer on a lot of Radiohead stuff) and Mauro Refosco (Forro in the Dark)

A good first listen by those guys would be Amok, which sounds ace on wax.

Hope that helps!

I suspect you might like Atoms for Peace, a sort of supergroup formed by Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Flea (Red Hot Chilis), Joey Waronker (REM, Beck), Nigel Godrich (Producer on a lot of Radiohead stuff) and Mauro Refosco (Forro in the Dark)

A good first listen by those guys would be Amok, which sounds ace on wax.

Hope that helps!

Good call on Amok. I love that album already though. Got lucky enough to see them at Austin City Limits this year. So good. 

Not a huge fan of EITS, but I heard them way way after I'd first heard Mogwai. The Mogwai album Happy Songs for Happy People is one of my favourite post-rock records, and that's with me not being a post-rock fan as such. My girlfriend bought The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place by EITS and all I could think was that it was like a less interesting Happy Songs... by Mogwai. She recently bought Happy Songs... on vinyl too, and it sounds great, so I would definitely recommend that despite what you might have heard by Mogwai before.

If you're interested in that stuff it might be worth giving Earth a listen, but maybe avoid the 90's drone albums (I love them, but might not be necessarily what you're after), and go for the slower twangy stuff released in the 2000s.

I'll give Happy Songs a try. I really have only heard parts of HCNDBYW and their first one.

And as for Earth, I've had people recommending it to me lately. My local store had Bees Made Honey for $50 and Earth 2 for 10 bucks. I passed because the first one was too expensive and the second was from the drone-y phase apparently and I don't know if i'd enjoy that.

I should probably listen to them on youtube to get a general feel first.

It's worth checking Earth 2 out, it's one of my favourite albums of that whole drone genre and I really got into it the first time I started listening to Mogwai actually. Like I say, it might not be for you but couldn't hurt to give it a try. The only Earth I have on vinyl was a gift from a friend - A Bureaucratic Desire for Extra-Capsular Extraction which is a collection of early Earth stuff from the first EPs and whatnot. It's from Southern Lord, and it sounds amazing, and comes in a beautiful sleeve, on clear vinyl. One of my favourite albums. Again, highly recommended.

Bees Made Honey is great but I personally think that "era" of Earth has a limited lifespan, but then I have friends who rave about it so horses for courses I suppose. You should be able to see Earth stuff on Discogs for considerably cheaper prices. Basically, anything after "Pentastar" from 1996 is the quiter, more melodic stuff, so any of that stuff is worth a look if you're interested.

Perfect From Now On is actually my favorite. It's just that You In Reverse seems to have been tailored for this format and even had that analog recording hype sticker on it. Can't go wrong with any Built to Spill really... I wish they'd press UAW.

At last year's Halloween show I asked Doug about TNWWL getting repressed (my personal favorite, but damn expensive) and he said he thinks it'd be coming out soon, but UAW was getting pressed for the first time!

Perfect From Now On is actually my favorite. It's just that You In Reverse seems to have been tailored for this format and even had that analog recording hype sticker on it. Can't go wrong with any Built to Spill really... I wish they'd press UAW.

shhh...It's coming...

Post-Rock: Godspeed You! Black Emperor (DUH).  My personal favourite is Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada, but definitely check out F# A# ∞ and Lift Your Skinny Fists.

Also, the band A Bunny's Caravan has an awesome album called Draining Puddles, Retrieving Treasures.  Listen to the song Inclosed By Skies, it is magical.

Yndi Halda is another great post rock band, check out their album Enjoy Eternal Bliss.

And then there are the obvious post rock outfits, MogwaiMonoThis Will Destroy You, etc...

One of my all time favourite bands, Moving Mountains combines post-rock with indie/emo in their album Pneuma, which is a masterpiece.

CSTVT's album Summer Fences is very post-rock-ish, with very gruff vocals.

You should probably also check out Envy, an amazing hardcore/post-rock band from Japan.  They are on the same label as Explosions in the Sky.  

There are so many more, but I'll stick to post-rock for now.  If you like these bands, there's plenty more I can rec.

I second the American Football & Moving Mountains recs. I'd personally go with Mov Mou's last album (self-titled).

I currently think Caspian is at the top of the post-rock genre. Everything by them is fantastic. I'd go in this order...

-Waking Season

-Hymn For the Greatest Generation (EP)

-Tertia

-Four Trees

-You Are the Conductor

Also, check out If These Trees Could Talk...

-Above the Earth, Below the Sky

-Red Forest

-Self Titled

For post-rock with vocals, check out Athletics.

I'm always in the market for new music. Here are some of my favorite bands from my two biggest genres of music, indie rock/folk and hip hop

Indie rock/folk: the national, of Montreal, Andrew bird, the dodos, Junip, franz Ferdinand, modest mouse, arcade fire, sufjan Stevens, Radiohead

Hip hop: eminem, Kanye, run the jewels/el-p, outkast, biggie, Nas, Kendrick

And I've recently been getting into post rock stuff. I really like explosions in the sky and some Appleseed cast - so recommendations in that vein work too.

Taking suggestions now! And obviously suggestions would hopefully have albums that sound great on vinyl - ie: recorded analog not digital.

Thanks to anyone who contributes

Squirrel Bait - S/T and Skag Heaven

Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me

Slint - Spiderland

Unwound - Fake Train

Low - Secret Name

The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowbird's Bark

The Cave Singers - Invitation Songs

Clem Snide - You Were A Diamond

Swans - The Seer

Richard Buckner - Dents and Shells

American Music Club - California

Mark Lanegan - I'll Take Care of You

The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen

I second all of these, spot on. I'd also check out Owen - At Home With...

For some indie rock: Broken Social Scenes- You Forgot it in People

For some rap: Common- Resurrection and Raekwon- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

Get on Down released pressings for Common's and Raekwon's albums, and they do awesome jobs, so those shouldn't be hard to find on either discogs or ebay.

You Forgot it in People is 180 gram and is back stocked right now on their label website and insound. 

Hope you like em'.

Cheers

I've got a suggestion for hip-hop/rap: Eyedea & Abilities. (The late) Eyedea had phenomenal flow, and DJ Abilities cranked out some fantastic beats. Unfortunately, they're pretty difficult to find on wax. But, all of their albums were pressed.

(sample song from their first album, First Born)