A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

ran my first 5k on Saturday. i'm still a little sore today in the hips/shins. it took me right at about 40 min, which I didn't think was too awful for absolutely zero training or running beforehand. definitely want to try to do better.

Nice. Welcome to the thread. Let us know if you stick with it. There are a few guys in here that have decent knowledge to draw off of and then there's me who can teach what to avoid.

Finally, I feel like I'm making progress.  I really lost my motivation to run after training and putting all those miles in for the marathon, then to have my lady's work screw her over on her vacation so we couldn't make it to Disney.  Then, having my Grandfather have a heart attack and pass away, I just didn't have the will to run.

Thankfully, it is slowly coming back.  I regret taking the long break from running, because I'm missing some early races that I really liked from the previous years.  It's also coming back to running after a break and you know you should be able to run these distances and at a certain pace, but your body isn't up to it yet.  I've been running with one of my friends lately to keep my pace down and build up my pace.  I'm hoping to run a race or two next month we will just see where I'm at.

Finally, I feel like I'm making progress.  I really lost my motivation to run after training and putting all those miles in for the marathon, then to have my lady's work screw her over on her vacation so we couldn't make it to Disney.  Then, having my Grandfather have a heart attack and pass away, I just didn't have the will to run.

Thankfully, it is slowly coming back.  I regret taking the long break from running, because I'm missing some early races that I really liked from the previous years.  It's also coming back to running after a break and you know you should be able to run these distances and at a certain pace, but your body isn't up to it yet.  I've been running with one of my friends lately to keep my pace down and build up my pace.  I'm hoping to run a race or two next month we will just see where I'm at.

Sorry to hear about all of that stuff man, but definitely glad to see you're getting back out there. Pace and distance will come back with time, though it seems you're running some pretty good distances already haha

I'm heading into the home stretch before my first real race this year. I have the Philly Love Run Half on Sunday and I really feel good going in. I feel like I'm in shape and in the frame of mind to target a personal best in the distance. This of course worries me since I'm such a doubter, to have confidence just feels wrong. 

Keep up the good work gang. 

Philly Love Run Half Marathon

1:43:40 - Official Time

1:41:59 - Unofficial Time

This course was long by over .2 miles.  Either way - these are both Personal Bests. I'm not going to complain one bit since I'm still at 90% and just ran another half four weeks ago up at 1:54:00. 

Awesome man, congrats! Glad to see you're coming back well from injury and running some awesome times.

And the winner of our Winter Challenge, destroying the competition with 57 workouts, is our man Jersey Dave! haha

The April challenge has now started, Most Miles, so join if you haven't and get out there and start racking up the miles.

Dave and Ed are the only 2 from the last challenge who have yet to join the new one. You can join all of the challenges for the year by following the links that I updated in the first post.

And the winner of our Winter Challenge, destroying the competition with 57 workouts, is our man Jersey Dave! haha

The April challenge has now started, Most Miles, so join if you haven't and get out there and start racking up the miles.

Dave and Ed are the only 2 from the last challenge who have yet to join the new one. You can join all of the challenges for the year by following the links that I updated in the first post.

Congrats Dave! and thanks for the reminder Rob, I'll accept those challenges now.

I'm still just dragging along since that half, only ran a few times and just short miles, but I'm lingering.  We'll see what this summer entails!

Unrelated - what kind of strength workouts do you guys combine with running?  I'm not really a big gym guy, but want to do something that complements running.  Anyone try crossfit? I figure a core based exercise like that might help, and being a runner my endurance is already pretty high so thought I might give it a shot.  I'm open to suggestions!

I joined the April challenge yesterday. Looking forward to running with some fellow vinyl enthusiasts!

Nice man! Welcome! Feel free to join the yearly challenge and the rest of the challenges which are all linked on the first page. Are you training for anything right now? Or just running casually/for fun?

Also, holy shit you're fast haha

Haha. Thanks. I ran in college (and got smoked a lot). I haven't trained very seriously for the past year since I moved to Minnesota. I was a cross country and track coach for nine years in Missouri, so it was easy to stay in shape then. Right now I am training mostly for fitness, but I'd love to PR in the 5k one more time before I get too old. I also have another goal, but it's a bit silly. I used to be the world record holder for running a mile backwards while juggling. I'd like to get my record back this summer.

Thanks for setting up these challenges. I love it. I haven't been recording any of my workouts since I moved, so this is the kick in the ass i needed.

Unrelated - what kind of strength workouts do you guys combine with running?  I'm not really a big gym guy, but want to do something that complements running.  Anyone try crossfit? I figure a core based exercise like that might help, and being a runner my endurance is already pretty high so thought I might give it a shot.  I'm open to suggestions!

I was reading an article on Runner's World, 6 Steps to Injury-Free Running (http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/6-steps-to-injury-free-running?cid=NL_TrainingExtra_2068958_03312015_6StepstoInjuryFreeRunning), and saw this little blurb, thought you might be interested:

"So you need to strengthen your muscles in ways that use your whole body and with exercises that mimic movements you actually do in real life. This is called functional strength training. The exercises in my IronStrength workout for runners are full-body exercises and, with the exception of the arm moves, they rely on your body, not weights, for resistance. Plus, there’s a bonus: Many of them mimic the movements you use in running, so they build strength right where you need it."

I understand there is some self promoting here, but might be worth checking out if you're interested.

I am getting played in the April Challenge. All those bike rides are messing up the program. Some good looking runs in the log. Well done gang. 

Ran a benefit 5k for my Niece's School - 21:50. Not too bad. I did an hour intensive bike session beforehand to use it as a test as Tri Season approaches. 

Hope all is well out there.

I ran a 4 mile run in Central Park this morning. Have been getting back into running over the past month or two. I entered the lottery for the nyc marathon and didn't get in for about the 5th time so I'm going to run the 9 qualifiers to get in next year. I joined the challenge group. Been keeping track of my runs with fitbit, but a challenge sounds like fun.