A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Oh yeah, I mentioned it earlier but it was before more people were in the thread, now that there are some people in here, is anyone interested in doing the Endomondo challenge just for fun? Again, I can set up a challenge for most miles per month or year (or both) and you can upload workouts from .gpx and other file types, so if you're using something else that you like to track your runs, it would be easy enough to add your workouts to Endomondo just for the challenge.

On a side note, if you haven't used Endomondo I recommend checking it out! I tried 5 or 6 different running apps and none of them allowed me to do or see everything that I wanted to except Endomondo. For those doing triatholons or other sports, you can track all sports. It's pretty awesome!

I went ahead and created the yearly challenge, and you can go in and retroactively add your January workouts and they will count as well.

Join here:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/14197428

If there is interest I can make a monthly challenge each month as well. So join this challenge and see what you think and if you want to start the monthly one let me know.

Post in here if you join, and post your name as well so we know who is who. I'm currently the only one in the challenge, Rob Bailey. Try it out, I think it'll be pretty fun if we get a bunch of people to do it.

Oh yeah, I mentioned it earlier but it was before more people were in the thread, now that there are some people in here, is anyone interested in doing the Endomondo challenge just for fun? Again, I can set up a challenge for most miles per month or year (or both) and you can upload workouts from .gpx and other file types, so if you're using something else that you like to track your runs, it would be easy enough to add your workouts to Endomondo just for the challenge.

On a side note, if you haven't used Endomondo I recommend checking it out! I tried 5 or 6 different running apps and none of them allowed me to do or see everything that I wanted to except Endomondo. For those doing triatholons or other sports, you can track all sports. It's pretty awesome!

I went ahead and created the yearly challenge, and you can go in and retroactively add your January workouts and they will count as well.

Join here:

http://www.endomondo.com/challenges/14197428

If there is interest I can make a monthly challenge each month as well. So join this challenge and see what you think and if you want to start the monthly one let me know.

Post in here if you join, and post your name as well so we know who is who. I'm currently the only one in the challenge, Rob Bailey. Try it out, I think it'll be pretty fun if we get a bunch of people to do it.

Never used Endomondo but I'm down for a VC challenge. Sounds pretty sweet.

Just signed up through Facebook(christopher scanlon) and clicked the challenge link but it says "access denied." Little help?

Just signed up through Facebook(christopher scanlon) and clicked the challenge link but it says "access denied." Little help?

Sorry, I made it private so that we could restrict it to just VCers and not have the dudes with insane mileage just joining to be the leader of every challenge haha but the only way to give people access is to email an invite. I just made it public so we don't have to worry about that. Please try again, and let me know if it's good now.

Alright, I'm in!

Gonna start off at zero even though I have mileage logged. More fair for people just starting now.

Sweet!

Unless you don't want to have to deal with uploading the files or inputting all of the information, I would say go ahead and add it in there. I'm assuming most people will do that since they'll only have to do 1 month of catch up. But it is just for fun, so either way is cool haha

I already log my workouts in TrainingPeaks (Love the redesign) and on Slowtwitch. Not sure I see adding another place. 

It's funny, as someone with knee issues I found minimalist sneakers to be a revelation. I found the reduced weight to help me as my mileage increased. I know this should make very little sense but the increased comfort led to increased running which led to a significant weight loss which lead to a reduction in the soreness my knees get. 

Sweet!

Unless you don't want to have to deal with uploading the files or inputting all of the information, I would say go ahead and add it in there. I'm assuming most people will do that since they'll only have to do 1 month of catch up. But it is just for fun, so either way is cool haha

I have 115 miles logged already in 2014. I just don't want to crush anyone's competitive spirit, haha.

I know this should make very little sense but the increased comfort led to increased running which led to a significant weight loss which lead to a reduction in the soreness my knees get.

What shoes do you wear now?

Also congratulations on losing a bunch of weight. How much did you drop?

I have 115 miles logged already in 2014. I just don't want to crush anyone's competitive spirit, haha.

Dude that's awesome! haha I'll be lucky to log that many this year, but it doesn't bother me haha I know different people are on different levels ya know. I plan to be a lot closer to that level by next year and that's just some extra motivation. But that is pretty nice of you...haha

Dude that's awesome! haha I'll be lucky to log that many this year, but it doesn't bother me haha I know different people are on different levels ya know. I plan to be a lot closer to that level by next year and that's just some extra motivation. But that is pretty nice of you...haha

Was playing around with the app and figured out how to add you as a friend and see your activity. You did 13 miles in 2:05 last year? Looks to me like you can run pretty well! Just gotta stay consistent and do a few miles every day and you'll be racking them up like nothing.

Was playing around with the app and figured out how to add you as a friend and see your activity. You did 13 miles in 2:05 last year? Looks to me like you can run pretty well! Just gotta stay consistent and do a few miles every day and you'll be racking them up like nothing.

yeah, that was how I hurt myself haha I was running 5km 3 times a week and then decided to run a half that was only 6 weeks away. Also, it was around an inactive volcano and I didn't do any hill work, lesson learned haha. So now I'm scaling way back and building base miles before getting back into the half marathon game. my goal is to take it very very easy and gradually increase my distance and pace and then run the rock and roll half in Philly next September in under 2 hours, hopefully under 1:45.

yeah, that was how I hurt myself haha I was running 5km 3 times a week and then decided to run a half that was only 6 weeks away. Also, it was around an inactive volcano and I didn't do any hill work, lesson learned haha. So now I'm scaling way back and building base miles before getting back into the half marathon game. my goal is to take it very very easy and gradually increase my distance and pace and then run the rock and roll half in Philly next September in under 2 hours, hopefully under 1:45.

Damn! That's a tight schedule for running a half. Where was it at?

I've never run more than 12 miles consecutively since I started. Hope to do my first half this year.

Damn! That's a tight schedule for running a half. Where was it at?

I've never run more than 12 miles consecutively since I started. Hope to do my first half this year.

I was on travel off and on in Hawaii for a few months in the summer of 2012, so I figured it would be cool to do my first half out there. It was the Hibiscus Half Marathon, which goes along one side of Diamond Head on the way out and back haha. I'm not sure if it would work or not but you might be able to click on that Half-Marathon time and have it take you to the track from when I ran it. I know it works that way for me, not sure if friends can see that kind of stuff though (or if you care at all haha)

(or if you care at all haha)

Hahah yeah I wanted to look it up. I have a list of places I'd like to run and it sounded worthy. Also making sure there weren't any dormant volcanoes in Maryland I was unaware of.

Haven't looked at halfs yet. I signed up for a few 5k's that I'm overqualified for coming up in April but that's it.

I'm down like 35 lbs in the past 17 months. Winter has kept me a bit less active but I plan to be down another 5lbs by my first race of the season.

Shoes:

Asics Gels (I forget the letters and numbers)

Nike Free Run 5+

I swap them both in and out. I use one for two weeks then the other. I prefer the Nike's overall but for any run over 6 miles on concrete I use the Asics.

I'm at well over 100 miles for the year - my goal however is 1500+ for 2014. Once the weather is warmer and days longer I'll be able to do two-a-days easier and rack up the mileage. Work has been insane and keeping me from logging more at the moment. After this week...watch out world! Seriously, it drives me nuts now when I have two days in a row with no run. 

Hahah yeah I wanted to look it up. I have a list of places I'd like to run and it sounded worthy. Also making sure there weren't any dormant volcanoes in Maryland I was unaware of.

Haven't looked at halfs yet. I signed up for a few 5k's that I'm overqualified for coming up in April but that's it.

Nice! Well you'll have to let us know which one you end up going with when you make that decision.

I'm down like 35 lbs in the past 17 months.

Congrats dude, that's awesome!

I'm at well over 100 miles for the year - my goal however is 1500+ for 2014. Once the weather is warmer and days longer I'll be able to do two-a-days easier and rack up the mileage. Work has been insane and keeping me from logging more at the moment. After this week...watch out world! Seriously, it drives me nuts now when I have two days in a row with no run. 

That's a pretty hefty goal, sounds like the weight loss is going to continue for awhile haha