A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Went on the treadmill today because everything outside is covered in ice. Can anyone tell me how to manually add a workout to Endomondo? I'm on iOS.

from the app, you click history and on the top right corner by the notifications should be a notepad.  

Nice! is malestudent15 the new member? and now leader haha

yeah, that's me.

Don't really run to much anymore as I hate it and love lifting weights more. But being in the army and all it's still required. Trying to get back into running as I lost any sort of physical shape I had in Ramger school except for being a mule.

What are your guys opinions on minimalist shoes. My senior year of college I started using the 5 fingers some since I started to get knee pain from running. I currently run with the new balance minimalists and for awhile did long runs with the nike frees but they are over 2 years old at this point so have been retired. Also my run time has slowed due to my body gaining like 20lbs in a year but not really getting to fat. Like I naturally sit at 200 lbs now.

Alright, so I took pictures of a few of the pages of Runners World's best half marathons issue, I'm not sure if it's going to work out as I hoped but hopefully you'll be able to read what was said about them haha Also, it was from last year so the dates might not be exact, but it should be the same weekend (usually)

Philly Rock and Roll:

2014-02-05%2019.27.23_zpsahrl2o9s.jpg

Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half (National Harbor, DC/NoVA):

2014-02-05%2019.38.27_zpslw4aecmd.jpg

Sheperdstown, WV:

2014-02-05%2019.30.15_zps0wpxu5dh.jpg

Runner's World Half (Bethlehem, PA):

2014-02-05%2019.39.45_zpsx8kxkzf4.jpg

Navy-Air Force Half (DC):

20140205_193213_zpsqpsqhzny.jpg

Sorry for the long post. Also, I'm just posting some options for you guys to figure out where you'd want to run. Since I'm still not sure if I'd be able to do it or not, I will not be involved in the planning or selecting. maybe since malestudent brought it up, we can put that on him haha

Off topic, but just figured out your username on here, now I feel like an idiot.

haha I'm sure you aren't the only one, I wouldn't worry about it too much

Havent run in a week due to intense work schedule and a cold. Yet here I am at 2 am on a fire truck watching a boat burn on a frozen river readingthe running thread to pass the boredom.

Wait, watching a burning boat on a frozen river is boring? Sounds to me like that'd be pretty sweet to watch haha

What are your guys opinions on minimalist shoes. My senior year of college I started using the 5 fingers some since I started to get knee pain from running. I currently run with the new balance minimalists and for awhile did long runs with the nike frees but they are over 2 years old at this point so have been retired.

My opinion, minimalist shoes are a catch 22. Great for teaching forefoot striking (reduces joint pain) but obviously they don't last as long. I use a pair of Brooks Cadence once a week and as my race day shoe and then a pair of Brooks Adrenaline for my regular runs. So I do like them, but I just hate how short they last.

Had a nearly two week layoff. An insane work schedule, a slight upper respiratory infection and my annual bout with winter depression had me straining to motivate. Haven't felt that way in a long time. The weather this weekend was so nice I got out for a recovery pace run on Saturday: 4.5 miles in 42 minutes then Sunday, even a little sore, I got out to swim 1.2 miles then ran 4.5 again at the same pace. Tonight I'm pumped to get out and hit those 8 minute miles and get back to 7:30 pace this weekend. Feels good to get over that hump and back on the road since I haven't had a layoff of two weeks in a long time. 

Any NJ runners? There is a half marathon in Monmouth County this Sunday that I'm thinking of showing up for. 

You need to do it in under 15 minutes, correct? I imagine an 11:00 time rates pretty well. 

The max time is around 14:30; however, just running the max makes it very difficult to pass the test. A run of 11 minutes will net me about 53 out of 60 possible points, which is pretty good, especially for my age.  

Most people shoot to score in the 90's (out of 100) as you only have to test once a year if you score above a 90.  In my case I am exempted from doing sit-ups due to a spine fusion I had in 08.  When you are exempt in any category of the test you are required to test every 6 months regardless of your score.  

Near 7 minute miles with a spinal fusion is sharp.

I wear my injuries with my better times like a point of pride. The body is more resilient than we give it credit. 

Thanks Dave, I really appreciate it.  After the fusion I was told I'd most likely never run again.  While I do have a lot of limitations from the surgery, running isn't one of them.  It was tough and painful getting back into it but I was persistent.  Now I'm able to run 2-3 miles 5-6 days a week with little to no pain.

My miles have been down lately too due to a hectic work schedule and lots of travel, but I'm making up for it by trying to increase my pace on shorter runs.  I'm running a 5K in a couple weeks and want to hit run it in 24:30.  My PR is 24:39 and that was about a year and a half ago.  I know I can break 25:00, but that extra 30 seconds will be tough.

What's you guys' best 5K times?

I haven't raced a 5k since high school (and I was forced to by my lacrosse coach) so I don't know what my race time would be. But Endomondo tracks your best times for multiple distances and I actually topped my previous best 5k time this Sunday by over a minute and came in at 25:19, I was pretty happy with that haha

I think I'm going to run a 5k at the end of March, so I'll check back in and see if adrenaline and the whole race experience helps my time at all.

I'm about to start week 5 of couch to 5k. Couldn't run 20 feet when I started, and I'm pretty proud that it's paying off.

Now I just need a decent pair of shoes. I've lost about 30lbs but still find I'm getting

Some knee pains. A lot of the suggestions this far are great.