A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Just logged my first VC run in Endmondo. Nice app. Never checked the elevation of my route before so that was cool.

Hopefully more people join as the year goes along. It's a party for two ATM.

yeah, I mean you're cool and all but I'd rather it not just be you dominating me all year haha

I run three times a week---five miles each run. I've been on this schedule for eight or nine years. I used to run a lot of 5K and 10K races but haven't done much racing since knee surgery. Asics Nimbus is my shoe of choice.

How long ago was your knee surgery? Are you going to try to race again, or keep doing what you're doing?

The recommended range is 300-500 miles. There are other factors that can decrease or increase these numbers though: weight, foot strike, and terrain. If you don't feel like your shoes are giving you adequate cushioning than it is probably time get a new pair. I usually run 5-6 days a week, I have 3 pairs in rotation. Two for the easy days and the other for speed work and races.

Stretching is unnecessary. Warming up your muscles before running is the best route to take. Some knee lifts and buck kicks and a short amount of jogging is really all you need. I usually my first mile as a warm up.

Also, foam rollers are great after hard workouts.

Height and weight play a huge role into running, and if he's got a bad lower back, I wouldn't disagree with the advice of about every 4 months!

How do you guys manage in that weather? Whenever I try to run and it is that cold my lungs feel like they are going to burst and I can only do short distances.

Also mindset plays a huge role. 

Check this article out, that claims by the time cold air reaches our lungs it's no longer freezing or cold, but actually warm. No sources cited so I'd definitely do more research on it.

http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/is-running-in-the-cold-bad-for-your-lungs

I'd do a half marathon in either March/April or October/November. In between I have a full race schedule booked every three weeks this year.  

In the spring the Philly half is looking nice. Down in NJ October 6 is the NJ Half down in Sandy Hook. Views of the water on both sides of the course for a few miles. 

The Rock N Roll Half in Philly is Septemeber 21st. Good weather and kind of central location to the few people I've seen talk about it. Also, it's apparently a fast course, so it would be a good one for beginners as well as those trying to PR. That being said, I wasn't planning on doing one until next year and I don't know if I'd be able to do one this year or not, but I'd certainly try haha so take my opinion with a grain of salt, just a suggestion.

Also, more people sign up for the VC Endomondo Challenge!haha

If you started now you'd be ready. Initially increase the frequency of your runs, not the length. In a month or two you'll see the difference. 

I couldn't do Sept 21 personally since I have the Princeton Half Ironman the week before and will still be in recovery mode. That said folks should go for it somewhere. 

If you started now you'd be ready. Initially increase the frequency of your runs, not the length. In a month or two you'll see the difference.

Yeah, I think it would be plenty of time too, I'm just being super overly cautious because I jumped in too fast and injured myself last time haha

But the October 6 in NJ sounds cool too. Know anything about the course as far as difficulty and everything goes?

Just joined the endomondo.  Like I said I usually don't run with my phone or anything so I'll be adding my stuff manually.

I'd love to run a half with you guys, but I live all the way in Florida.  I travel to the northeast a lot for work and to visit family though, so maybe something will line up.  I know I'll be in Baltimore this month, Boston in April, and Philly in July.

I'm pretty sure I have a Runner's World at home with the top 50 half marathons. I'll try to pull it out tonight and list some other possibilities.

Just joined the endomondo.  Like I said I usually don't run with my phone or anything so I'll be adding my stuff manually.

Awesome!

I've never even come close to a half, I've only run about 7 miles tops. That said, I've never really tried. I'm not a total novice, I can do 5 miles without much issue. I figure I could train up to 13 over the course of the spring and summer. Any thoughts from more distance or experienced runners?

Has anyone here ever had anxiety issues and became a runner for it to go away?

Also has anyone ever felt arrhythmia while running because they were just being psyched out from anxiety (like focusing on chest feelings instead of actually just breathing and running straight but over thinking it so much you over focus on the chest area then finally you feel something and trip out because of it)?

I've never even come close to a half, I've only run about 7 miles tops. That said, I've never really tried. I'm not a total novice, I can do 5 miles without much issue. I figure I could train up to 13 over the course of the spring and summer. Any thoughts from more distance or experienced runners?

As I noted before, I was running 3.5 miles 3 times a week and trained for a half marathon in 6 weeks and finished in 2:05. In retrospect it was dumb haha, but giving yourself this much time, I'd have no doubt that you'd be fine.

hey everyone, glad there's finally a running thread around here!

this may be a little off subject, but has anyone ever tried running while high? I wanna hear your experiences if so.

I find that it makes me more aware of how my body feels, which is terrible for running at a strenuous pace. However, at a slower pace it makes me feel like I can run for hours. I actually zoned out the other day and went for an extra 20 minutes without noticing. The first ten minutes always feels incredibly weird as well, like I've never gone on a run before. Not to mention all my "high runs" have been inside on a treadmill. I can't wait for it to warm up; my asthma doesn't do well in the cold.

The Bmore half is the one on October 18th right? I would definitely be down for running that one!

yep, that is it.  

. Yeah, you have more than plenty of time to work your way up to that. I would look at some running plans to get an idea of where and when to start (half plans are usually 12-18 weeks long: look at Hal higdon, Jeff Galloway, etc.) Also, follow the 10% rule. (Don't increase your mileage more than 10% a week. And every 4 weeks scale back your running for your muscles to heal.

Went on the treadmill today because everything outside is covered in ice. Can anyone tell me how to manually add a workout to Endomondo? I'm on iOS.

Go to the main website and click on New Workout. The next page will have a few different options, just select the option that says New workout with no route, and then enter your info. Let me know if you have any trouble with that.