A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

Hudson...go get a fit for your first pair of good running shoes. Its worth the extra few dollars. Try on everything and go to a shop that has a treadmill you can get on for a few minutes with each pair you are debating.

My personal opinion is that custom insoles are worthless and a waste of money. Others on here love em. Most running shops will try to sell you on them and they cost as much as shoes. I'd focus first on a great pair of sneakers and ignore the peripherals until you find yourself going for a few more months,

I skipped my run this morning and swam instead to give my legs a rest from the impact. Felt awesome starting my day doing drills in a pool. Kept it easy at 2300 yards. My full season training starts next week and i am using this week as a bridge to start getting myself up and active a couple mornings a week.

Anyone who swims own an underwater music system? I am seeing them more and more and really think it would keep me in the pool longer until I get back out to open water swimming.

This is my third year of running and I'm hoping to break the sub 20 club.  I almost did it last year, my PR is 20 minutes.  I'm hoping to PR in all race distances this year (5k,10, half).  I plan on running my first marathon Jan. next year at the Disney World marathon.

Hudson...go get a fit for your first pair of good running shoes. Its worth the extra few dollars. Try on everything and go to a shop that has a treadmill you can get on for a few minutes with each pair you are debating.

My personal opinion is that custom insoles are worthless and a waste of money. Others on here love em. Most running shops will try to sell you on them and they cost as much as shoes. I'd focus first on a great pair of sneakers and ignore the peripherals until you find yourself going for a few more months,

I skipped my run this morning and swam instead to give my legs a rest from the impact. Felt awesome starting my day doing drills in a pool. Kept it easy at 2300 yards. My full season training starts next week and i am using this week as a bridge to start getting myself up and active a couple mornings a week.

Anyone who swims own an underwater music system? I am seeing them more and more and really think it would keep me in the pool longer until I get back out to open water swimming.

Thanks Dave! Tomorrow is bonus day at work so I'm planning on buying a decent pair or running shoes with some of my newly found riches.

Let me know how it goes and what you get. I have really become fascinated by Sneakers. One more tip: if you have a shop that offers a 30 day no questions asked return policy it's a huge plus. When I got my last two pairs I got a pair of Kinvara's and in the store loved em. My first run out they tore up the skin on my achilles so bad that the inside of the shoe became a huge bloodstain. I returned them the next day and while the person behind the counter was horrified they couldn't argue with me. I knew I'd never wear them again and got a different pair. 

Anyway, a cold snap landed here. Hit the treadmill for over 7 miles last night and damn if that wasn't boring. I watched a movie that a friend of mine is in and that did little for me since it wasn't very good and I felt kind of bad thinking of our next conversation. Swam 2500 yards this morning to get the body stretched out and plan to run 30 minutes at a recovery pace tonight. 

Keep up the good work folks. We are heading into race season so I'm hoping everyone will use this thread to share finish line photos etc. 

Let me know how it goes and what you get. I have really become fascinated by Sneakers. One more tip: if you have a shop that offers a 30 day no questions asked return policy it's a huge plus. When I got my last two pairs I got a pair of Kinvara's and in the store loved em. My first run out they tore up the skin on my achilles so bad that the inside of the shoe became a huge bloodstain. I returned them the next day and while the person behind the counter was horrified they couldn't argue with me. I knew I'd never wear them again and got a different pair. 

Anyway, a cold snap landed here. Hit the treadmill for over 7 miles last night and damn if that wasn't boring. I watched a movie that a friend of mine is in and that did little for me since it wasn't very good and I felt kind of bad thinking of our next conversation. Swam 2500 yards this morning to get the body stretched out and plan to run 30 minutes at a recovery pace tonight. 

Keep up the good work folks. We are heading into race season so I'm hoping everyone will use this thread to share finish line photos etc. 

That sucks to hear about the Kinvaras, I absolutely love mine.  I have had 3 pairs (1 retired after half and getting ready to retire another). I just went shoe crazy for the 2014 season and got 4 new pairs of shoes, none kinvaras though.  I'm in the process of working in a couple pair for my long run this weekend.

I don't care how cold it gets, I can't run on a treadmill.  I don't mind running in the cold though, so it's no big deal.

What's everyone's upcoming race schedule?

My first race is on 3/27 (5k).  It is the so called toughest 5k in WV.  I think they may be right it has an elevation gain of 430 ft. I did it last year and didn't do to shabby, but I'm in a lot better shape this year so we will see.

First half is the Rumpspringa 13.1 in Lancaster County on 4/6. 

I have a lot more races penciled in, but those I know for sure.

I don't plan to do more than a couple running only races this year. In addition to the Love Half I want to do a 15K in April near me and a 5K in April to challenge that 20 minute threshold. I don't know if I can do 20 but I want to give it a legitimate shot to prove it one way or another.

I have a packed Tri calendar varying between Olympic, Sprint and Half-Iron distance. I race pretty much once every three weeks this year. 

The Kinvaras have a narrow heel apparently and it created too much pressure for my foot. People love them. I offered it as an example of how a certain shoe works for one person and not another. A lot of folks I know hate Free Run 5's - I LOVE them. I'm pretty sold right now however on the Asics Gel line of shoes. More support and similar weight. Still debating what shoe I'm going to use as my Race Shoe but probably the Asics if I have to choose today. 

I can't remember if this has been mentioned, I feel like it has but I'm going to ask again anyway...

Does anyone use Patella Bands? My knees are starting to get a little old and sore from soccer. Hasn't been an issue thus far but when I amp up the running everythingstays in a perpetual state of "kind of sore". Alternatively, anyone have a shoe recommendation that has a little more shock absorption to be easier on the knees? Preferably one that isn't TOO heavy. 

I like the Asics Gel line - light with cushion. I have had surgery on the right knee 3x so I get soreness but these are a great shoe for road running with my limitations. They have a pretty wide variety to the line so I'd check em out. 

I've never used Patella Bands - I have given up on all braces etc since I don't like the impact on my stride. I just ice after running once I'm feeling off. When tight or slightly swollen I take Advil. Take a day off as well when not feeling close to 100%. 

I like the Asics Gel line - light with cushion. I have had surgery on the right knee 3x so I get soreness but these are a great shoe for road running with my limitations. They have a pretty wide variety to the line so I'd check em out. 

I've never used Patella Bands - I have given up on all braces etc since I don't like the impact on my stride. I just ice after running once I'm feeling off. When tight or slightly swollen I take Advil. Take a day off as well when not feeling close to 100%. 

Thanks I will check those out. I don't usually get significant soreness and almost never experience any pain during the activity. I can technically run in anything without limitation (yet at least) but want to try and limit the pounding the knees get. 

^^^^^

Nice.

I hit 3rd in my age group at my final race last year and really wanted to stick around for the awards but had Yankees tix with my Dad so literally caught my breath, packed my gear and left. I regretted not being more social post-race last year so it's a resolution of mine this year to enjoy the events on a social level more. I've met some cool folks but would like to be more part of the celebration of everyone's accomplishments. 

Did a 3000 yard swim drill session then ran four miles at a very easy recovery pace. It hit over 40 today in the afternoon unexpectedly and if that happens tomorrow I think I'm going to hit the road for a long run.

This thread should be more active.

I now have April 13 circled to run at Rutgers for their half. I passed on the race this past weekend. I couldn't bring myself to run and sweat that distance in such cold weather.

Nailed a nice 5.5 mile run last night at 7:45 pace. First time in a while I want to see if I could punch it up for an extended period. After a 5 minute warm up it was no looking back. Im feeling good about how. I've used my winter training months and feel I could have done sub 7:30 and beyond but no need to yet.

Funny thing about out of town work. My idea is I need to run everywhere I go. Not only to train but just to say I did. 

Landed in Kansas City at 6:30pm. Checked into my hotel at 8pm. I was on the road for a quick 35 minute run by 8:10. I was too tired to do anything more than just hit the streets to keep some consistency. As long as I hit 30+ minutes continuous I consider it a real run. This is the low end but I did it.

Also, for a state known to be flat as hell the roads I ran were really rolling with a couple good hills. 

I was messing around in Endomondo comparing how many miles I've run on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis and I realized I've already run more miles this year than I did all of last year. I took most of last year off because of injury, but it feels good to know I'm running consistently again.

And the crazy thing to me is that some of you will have run more miles before spring this year, than I did in the year that I've run the most miles ever haha you guys are awesome(/crazy)!

2014-03-07%2012.40.14_zpsplop8ut2.jpg

EDIT: Wow, sorry. That picture is huge haha

I was messing around in Endomondo comparing how many miles I've run on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis and I realized I've already run more miles this year than I did all of last year. I took most of last year off because of injury, but it feels good to know I'm running consistently again.

And the crazy thing to me is that some of you will have run more miles before spring this year, than I did in the year that I've run the most miles ever haha you guys are awesome(/crazy)!

EDIT: Wow, sorry. That picture is huge haha

Good work, keep it up!! I'm trying to break the elusive 1,000 miles this year.

Ran an 8k (?) this morning, my friend's work was the sponsor for it so we didn't have to pay, which was cool.  We finished pretty strong at 41:00 even, but it was just another training run for our big 5k next Saturday.  Hopefully next week I'll be posting with my new PR time!

Good Job! Good luck next week.  My first race isn't for a couple weeks.  It isn't a PR friendly course, so I'm just hoping to beat my time from last year.

Nice updates. Rho - Don't compare yourself to others but finding motivation there is great. I'm at 225 miles so far this year. Below my goal but on a weekly average I am pleased since I missed almost three weeks to a tweak, a cold and an insane work schedule. You know what I've taken to doing on my treadmill days? I find the person moving the fastest and obviously the most serious runner and I take the machine next to them. Pacing off of others works on a treadmill as well as it does on race day. I'm trying hard to get over this hump I feel by any means necessary.

Kya - Nice Run! Nuff Said. 

I took today off. I worked 22 hours, had 3 hours sleep, flew to NYC, unpacked gear and am now on a train towards home. Shocking I didn't hit the road. I did get in four runs in 36 hours in Kansas as a physical test and it was one run too much. 20 miles shouldn't be a volume too high or me but the way I structured this test combined with physical exhaustion from working definitely tested me. C'est La Vie. 

Hopefully next week I'll be posting with my new PR time!

Goodluck!

Good work, keep it up!! I'm trying to break the elusive 1,000 miles this year.

1,000 miles is insane haha but goodluck! what's the most you've done in a year before?

Picked up a pair of Brookes Glycerin 11s. I'll be taking them out for their maiden voyage tomorrow.

I'm running in Glycerin's now, they're 9's or 10's though, and I love them. A little on the heavier side but a very supportive, overall great shoe.