A Thread for Runners - 2016 Yearly Challenge - Most Miles

wow you replace them every 4 months? how much mileage are you putting on them? I've always heard you can easily get 500 miles out of each pair and then after that you can still get a lot more, it just depends per runner. the people I've talked to say you can start to feel tweaks and small aches and that's how they know to get some new ones. I've seen people say anywhere between 500-900 miles on a single pair. I've got about 300 miles on my current pair and they still feel great. although I only use my shoes for running and nothing else, so I guess they could wear faster if you're wearing them for other things too.

I have been to several running clinics and classes and the rule of thumb I was told was every 250 miles.  I typically run about 50 miles in a month (give or take) so I usually replace them around the 4 month mark.  I can tell when they need to be replaced just by the feel.  Also, with the issues I have with my back I'd rather play it safe.

The recommended range is 300-500 miles. There are other factors that can decrease or increase these numbers though: weight, foot strike, and terrain. If you don't feel like your shoes are giving you adequate cushioning than it is probably time get a new pair. I usually run 5-6 days a week, I have 3 pairs in rotation. Two for the easy days and the other for speed work and races.

Stretching is unnecessary. Warming up your muscles before running is the best route to take. Some knee lifts and buck kicks and a short amount of jogging is really all you need. I usually my first mile as a warm up.

Also, foam rollers are great after hard workouts.

I ran on one pair of shoes all of 2013 - huge mistake. I have two pairs now and rotate them every two weeks as I'm playing with different feels. As soon as I put on a new pair of shoes - the last pair had over 1,000 miles on them - I called myself an idiot for waiting so long. 

My next tri  is likely May. I have one definitely in mid-May then my first half ironman in early June. I have plotted out a serious race calendar this year. Racing every three weeks but varying the distances for body preservation.

I buy cheap as hell earbuds since they are always breaking on me. As long as they stay in there I'm happy.

Gear Review? Tom Tom gps watch is what I presently have. I'll post a few thoughts on this and other watches I've used if anyone is interested. 

Just ran. It was 4:30 and I said to myself "Dave, it's 42 degrees outside right now. If you let a near perfect day pass without a run you are an asshole." 

Here was today's mix - kept a very easy pace ended the run at an even 5 miles in 40:30 to boot.

Iron Chic "Wolf Dix Road"

Against Me "Transgender..."

Hot Water Music "Rock Singer" (Such an awesome running song)

Sharon Jones "Retreat"

Grade "Inefficiency of Emotion"

Charles Bradley "Why is it so Hard"

Acme "Blind"

Chokehold "Afraid of Life"

Groundwork "Channel 1"

Front Bottoms "Twin Sized Mattress"

Split Lip 'Uniontown"

Charles Bradley "Heart of Gold"

Uniform Choice "Screaming for Change"

Two things about a solid running mix, a mix that is meaningful to you. 

First, I felt crummy my first three miles but found my stride and hit a negative split where my last two miles were significantly faster. 

I was going to hang it up around mile 4.5 but "Heart of Gold" came on and I really wanted to hear it so I hung a left instead of a right and tacked on some extra mileage. And that's why the mix matters - keeping you pushing and challenging you to stretch your comfort zone a bit.

I love running.  I'm not as fast you guys, but I keep my miles up, run 3 days a week totaling 20-25 miles.  For my longer runs (10+) I enjoy running by myself with some good music, but I meet a group every Tues and Thurs for running also.  I really enjoy running with people, great time to talk about anything.

I've only recently started running with partners. I normally prefer solo but there is a great benefit to running with partners of varying levels. I'm also told that talking while running is good for lung capacity - anyone know if there is truth to this? 

20-25 miles a week is solid volume. 

I'm not super fast either.  

Most of the time I train for the my semi-annual PT test (Air Force) which consists of 1.5 mile run along with push ups, sit ups and a abdominal measurement.  At my best I can run 1.5 miles in around 10:45.

I'm in the AF too, and being a distance runner does NOT help me on my PT test.  Training on my own I never run less than 3 miles, so even though my endurance is up, my speed is always down.  I just took my test last month and ran it in 11:01. In 7 years I've only broke 11 minutes once.  I know if I did some speed work every now and then I could crush it, but I don't like speed work haha.

Been running for about three years now, love it, anyone who doesn't think they can run - you're wrong! I usually run outside but to mix it up this year i got a flexi membership to my local gym for the winter months, loving it so far. I go three times a week, two will be 30min intervals and one will be a fairly leisurely 10k. I used to use Nike's running app to track my runs but since i decided i actually wanted to know how far i've run i bought a Garmin watch and haven't looked back, that thing is so accurate.

How do you guys manage in that weather? Whenever I try to run and it is that cold my lungs feel like they are going to burst and I can only do short distances.

It takes a while to get adjusted to colder temps but once you do your lungs should feel normal again. I'd suggest try to run longer distances and concentrate on controlling your breathing even if it means slowing down significantly just to get acclimated. After a few good runs you should feel much better.

The issues I struggle with in the cold aren't from breathing but my skin gets fucked up in the wind, especially my face. I have to make a point to wear lotion and ChapStick, it helps.

I'm also told that talking while running is good for lung capacity - anyone know if there is truth to this?

No lasting effect on lung capacity, but it can be a great tool for determining an appropriate pace during training. IE run 2 miles in casual conversation(warm up pace) 4 miles able to talk in short bursts(moderate to difficult pace) and 1 mile focusing on breathing(full sprint).

How do you guys manage in that weather? Whenever I try to run and it is that cold my lungs feel like they are going to burst and I can only do short distances.

I have to experience the climate change firsthand to be able to handle cold temps. In the past I would stop when the weather hit 50 degrees and try to go back out when it's 20 and it was like pulling teeth. This year I kept up my weekly runs and I've been out in as low as 3 degrees with no injuries or negative side effects.

Got a couple new pairs of shoes on the way. I'm a heavy heel striker and decided to get some shoes geared toward that for the first time.

Mizuno Wave Precision 13

LMPUNGN.jpg

Asics Gel Nimbus 14

xlt245n204.jpg

I use (and love) Under Armour cold gear. I go out with the pants and the long sleeved shirt with just a pair of running shorts and a t-shirt over top of them and I never really notice my body getting cold. My face definitly does though, that's the only problem I have haha But I usually try not to be out for too long when it is really cold (below 20), I usually run shorter distances at a faster pace.

As far as my lungs burning, I remember that happening during sports in high school, but it doesn't happen to me anymore. I honestly, don't know why though. I guess because I run year round, my body is exposed to the temperatures gradually as they drop? Maybe? I don't really know haha

I got a pair of Pearl Izumi cold weather tights and a nice Craft cold weather running jacket. Works great for runs in the 25 to 50 degree range. For 50 to 65 I have a couple pairs of long Addidas compression tights. Its not too bad running in the cold but with my knees I avoid days when there is ice out there.

As to heel striking: have you tried to correct it? I had a slight issue but corrected it by shortening my stride. Night and day since.

As to heel striking: have you tried to correct it? I had a slight issue but corrected it by shortening my stride. Night and day since.

Never tried to change my strike but I've learned to bend my knees to lighten my steps/prevent knee pain. Also cut out minimalist styled shoes from my rotation. Vibram five fingers and minimalist trainers(nike free) did me more harm than good.

The ice is what gets me. I would potentially brave the cold but this year there was inches of ice on the sidewalks for months. Still is sneaky patches, I see people doing it but I'm afraid I'd wreck myself.

I started running in the road when sidewalks get messy. May not be an option everywhere but drivers are more respectful than I would've guessed.