I read a short interview with the director of the series. He said half the things people thought were symbols (like the kid wearing the crown, the spiral drawings made by the kids, etc) weren't even thought of by them. That was over thinking by the audience. 

I call bullshit on that. At least the spiral drawing by Marty's daughter.  No way that was just a coincidence. 

I call bullshit on that. At least the spiral drawing by Marty's daughter.  No way that was just a coincidence. 

Hehe. The spiral drawing was the one they specifically referenced as being an oversight. 

For those tracking the appearances of the spirals, you can cross off the one you found in Hart’s house. That was a mistake. “I didn’t even notice that one,” DiGerlando said. “We got a whole bunch of artwork from the daughter of a friend of mine down the street and used it to decorate Marty’s house. None of us put it together that there was a spiral in there.”

Hehe. The spiral drawing was the one they specifically referenced as being an oversight. 

For those tracking the appearances of the spirals, you can cross off the one you found in Hart’s house. That was a mistake. “I didn’t even notice that one,” DiGerlando said. “We got a whole bunch of artwork from the daughter of a friend of mine down the street and used it to decorate Marty’s house. None of us put it together that there was a spiral in there.”

Still calling bullshit. The spiral is one of the main symbols of this concocted cult, yet they don't recognize it as being one of the pieces of artwork they put in the scene?  Yeaaa, OK.

The show runners fooled us all. For the first 5 episodes they had us thinking they were a lot more smarter than they actually were.

To be fair, the creators could not have predicted that there would be a cult following that would over-analyze every frame of the show and run with the smallest easter eggs and create overarching theories because of them.

To be fair, the creators could not have predicted that there would be a cult following that would over-analyze every frame of the show and run with the smallest easter eggs and create overarching theories because of them.

They create to the best of their abilities in an attempt to entertain an audience.  There are plenty of shows out there that throw in little easter eggs here and there.  It really isn't some new concept that they decided to invent.

They create to the best of their abilities in an attempt to entertain an audience.  There are plenty of shows out there that throw in little easter eggs here and there.  It really isn't some new concept that they decided to invent.

I'm not sure how you thought that was the point I was making.

I'm not saying they invented easter eggs, I'm saying you can't blame them for the internet's relentless dissecting of every episode looking for something more. There's no way they could've predicted that.

I'm not saying they invented easter eggs, I'm saying you can't blame them for the internet's relentless dissecting of every episode looking for something more. There's no way they could've predicted that.

Except for the fact that it's nothing new and pretty common occurrence for any show that's not created with 16 year old girls in mind/on the CW.  Also layer in the fact that they did throw in a ton of easter eggs for the very reason of creating extra buzz/hype/organic marketing, and now for some reason are denying the shit out of it.

So the theory is that at some point in pre-production the writer, director, production, costume and art departments made a conscious decision that even mundane set dressings need to have some significance or easter eggs. They then went to great lengths to actually shoot these things, edit them for continuity and otherwise ensure their plan with on track. 

But they also agreed to deny or all of this to anyone? In the event that someone spotted something they are instructed to lie, but only in certain instances? 

Maybe this is how the show got its name?

Except for the fact that it's nothing new and pretty common occurrence for any show that's not created with 16 year old girls in mind/on the CW.  Also layer in the fact that they did throw in a ton of easter eggs for the very reason of creating extra buzz/hype/organic marketing, and now for some reason are denying the shit out of it.

You can't create something as awesome as this show was and be totally stupid as to not realize all the "unintentional coincidences" that they "mistakenly" threw in there.

like 2 weeks, didn't the TPTB say that everything on set was put their for a reason and put their as a clue and to always keep an eye open.

all these "clues" were red herrings and all these clues wanted us to watch actively.  shooting and capturing certain details and holding shots on certain frames. 

i've said it since the finale airred, they took all the elements people loved about this show and got rid of them in the final 2 hours of the show.  

My guess is that they predicted that nobody would be talking about a TV show in which they decided to cast a couple Hollywood A-listers on a network that is acclaimed for having some of the best written shows in TV history.