Also, I thought they were walking into a big trap. They talked about the smell of what, aluminium and something else? And Cohle sniffed a bag of something in Carcosa?

Was thinking that Errol was sucking them in and then going to blow everything up.

If you believe Michael Stipe, aluminum tastes like fear (E-Bow the Letter).

What's up with Papania pulling the race card on Marty in the diner?  "You're speaking in riddles, white man." 

Have to say, I didn't love the ending, though I'm willing to let it grow on me.  Basically lots of little things keep bothering me - how did the authorities show up, how did the green ears thing lead them to house, how could Rust hear Errol everywhere in the sprawling Carcosa when he spoke in a pretty quiet tone of voice (If we are to believe he actually heard him).  I know there are possible explanations for all of those, but they could have been handled better IMO.

i figured the authorities showed up because marty finally found a phone in the home.  he basically threatened the half-sister (betty) with his gun and shouted for the phone.

also the green ears, i assumed, came from his paint job at the green house.  they interviewed the old lady who had lived in the house and she gave them enough info to look up errol childress' father who had lived in the house they drove to.

i liked the finale up until the last 15 min, but the episode as a whole is growing on me. 

also, for those wondering why errol affected 3 (or more) different accents:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-looks-back-on-season-1/3

"Nic Pizzolatto: That was part of his creation as a character. There was this idea that when he talks in his real voice, it's very slurred because of the scarring. My background for him was that he learned how to enunciate properly through watching all these old VCR movies. And that brings us back to the idea of storytelling, right? At one minute he can affect this Andy Griffith good ol' boy voice, the next he can sound like James Mason, and when he wants to use his real voice, he sounds like something wounded and damaged. And then when Cohle is in Carcosa, he sounds like something entirely different."

I loved it. That walk through carcosa was intense. My brain was flying like a billion miles a minute trying to reconcile what was actually happening with all of my expectations. And it just kept going. Great suspense. There are certain areas of back story I would love to know more about though. I also like that it is a series I can watch multiple times even though I know how it ends. I am looking forward to the experience actually of watching it all play out with he knowledge of where it's going.

also, for those wondering why errol affected 3 (or more) different accents:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/true-detective-creator-nic-pizzolatto-looks-back-on-season-1/3

"Nic Pizzolatto: That was part of his creation as a character. There was this idea that when he talks in his real voice, it's very slurred because of the scarring. My background for him was that he learned how to enunciate properly through watching all these old VCR movies. And that brings us back to the idea of storytelling, right? At one minute he can affect this Andy Griffith good ol' boy voice, the next he can sound like James Mason, and when he wants to use his real voice, he sounds like something wounded and damaged. And then when Cohle is in Carcosa, he sounds like something entirely different."

that really sounds stupid to me.  if his real voice is slurred because of his scarring, why aren't his other voices slurred and why couldn't he train his self to speak in his regular voice without a slur if he can mimic others without it. 

errol just had a really bad backstory and he didn't seem capable of doing anything he actually did.

that really sounds stupid to me.  if his real voice is slurred because of his scarring, why aren't his other voices slurred and why couldn't he train his self to speak in his regular voice without a slur if he can mimic others without it. 

errol just had a really bad backstory and he didn't seem capable of doing anything he actually did.

It is stupid because they really did nothing in this series to "create" him as a character.  Basically up until the last episode, all he was, was a theory.

errol didnt get a backstory, but I feel like he was throughout the series in the backstories of the characters, or at least signs of him.  I guess most notable off the top of my head is the fact that he was mowing the lawn at the closed school, and that was the same school that the little wood tripod things were found in and episode or two later.  I really liked the finale, I avoided trying to figure out every move, and was that Errols dad chained to the bed, still alive???

only issue, the cops showed up after they were all in Carcosa, and the one phone in the house didnt work and was thrown to the ground, so i still dont get how the cops showed up.  unless he called them while he wasnt being filmed?

Feel a little dumb for going conspiracy theory crazy. Wish I had just chilled and took things at face value. Even up to the last 2 minutes I was thinking "how are they going to sneak the big reveal no one saw coming in here" instead of thinking "damn, these characters have changed so much." Oh well, though.

I'm growing okay with this. Going conspiracy theory crazy made me feel more connected and involved in the show.. rather than just something to sit down and watch for one hour each Sunday night. It kept me thinking throughout the week and reading up on possible things. It just made it more of an experience and exciting. People are saying it's lazy by not having some super conspiracy or supernatural meaning, but he ending was straight forward, the True detective solved their case and it's a wrap.

only issue, the cops showed up after they were all in Carcosa, and the one phone in the house didnt work and was thrown to the ground, so i still dont get how the cops showed up.  unless he called them while he wasnt being filmed?

I think that it is to be assumed.. he finds the disconnected phone and throws it to the ground before he finds the wife/sister.. he puts the gun to her and has the "everyone has a phone" line, and the scene cuts away.

also, I remember when they first talked to him mowing the lawn thinking "thats him, no wait, thats too obvious, it cant be the creepy looking landscaper" and turns out the criminal was right there in front of them!  the idea of realizing that, years later after other criminals died and not being able to arrest them all HAS to be really depressing

After watching the finale a second time, I definitely appreciate it more. Great ending, great season. If they can pull this off for season 2 I would be highly impressed but I'm doubtful.

im really hoping they write it a little different, I would probably be bored if they went the whole backstory for 5 episodes, 2 episodes of "today" and the finale again

the more time i have to digest it, the less satisfied i am.  i think the show roped most people in with its unique style of story telling, however; neglecting to use that style in the final two episodes was a bust.  even having them being interviewed in the hospital and having us piecing things together from their accounts of their visit with errol would of been awesome.  the first 5 eps were great, but the last 3 were ruined for me by the lack of storytelling.  

Whole show was fantastic. If you just watch the show and don't internet fanboy it then you can't be let down. I was completely ready for at least rust if not both of them to die. The fact that they live I felt was a bit of a twist ending. They got their justice. But it's still not done. Kinda gives me the feeling that there is always more to be done. You can spend your whole life doing something but at some point you just have to accept that you can't do everything. The acting was off the charts. The scenes between Marty and rust are classic. Enough was answered that I don't feel a void. Can't see Matthew m not winning for this show.

Really excited for a second season. I'll probably wait for them all to air before I watch them just so I don't have to wait a week every time.

i also love that people expected rust and marty to die in a hail storm of bullets in the finale. my question to them- who did you expect to have guns, exactly?

i also love that people expected rust and marty to die in a hail storm of bullets in the finale. my question to them- who did you expect to have guns, exactly?

That's not especially farfetched. Ledeux had at least 2+ full auto machine guns laying on his front yard.  If they rolled up on a "cult meeting/ritual" like some people thought you could imagine that a few of those ne'er do-wells would be similarly armed.