Was watching the previous episodes earlier today, and totally noticed one clue that came back.

The freshly painted green house that they go back to investigate, there was a short montage in episode 3 or so, and at the end of it Rust takes a picture of the green house, and then the camera just focuses on the green house for about 5 seconds. I turned to my girlfriend and was like "That obviously has significance" and a few seconds later brushed it off as just filler for the montage. Then in the finale when they pull it back out I was like FUCK

Was watching the previous episodes earlier today, and totally noticed one clue that came back.

The freshly painted green house that they go back to investigate, there was a short montage in episode 3 or so, and at the end of it Rust takes a picture of the green house, and then the camera just focuses on the green house for about 5 seconds. I turned to my girlfriend and was like "That obviously has significance" and a few seconds later brushed it off as just filler for the montage. Then in the finale when they pull it back out I was like FUCK

i remembered the house just because i really enjoyed the symmetrical aesthetic of it

Just got to watch the finale and I'm sort of eh about it. I love that it put everyone's theories to shame but it still left me wanting...What the heck was the blue spiral thingy that Rhust saw right before scarface tried to kill him?!

Edit: Did anyone realize that the line in episode 5 when Marty kills LeDeaux has come "full circle" in the finale? Reggie says "You're in Carcoas now, with me. He sees you...you'll do this again. Time is a flat circle." Marty and Cohle went and found Reggie and ended up killing him. They went and found The Yellow King and ended up killing him too. My mind is just blown right now. I don't know for sure if it was supposed to be taken like that but I surely did. I still feel like a ton of questions were unanswered, not saying they have to address them all, but how exactly was Reggie, the Reverend, and everyone else in that circle involved? They basically made it out to be that the man with scars was the only one behind it. I know they said that not everyone was caught and brought to justice but they put a whole lot of interest on the GROUP of men and not just Errole.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that this was supposed to be the antithesis of all of the murder-of-the-week detective shows that CBS loves so much. I've read a few interviews with Pizzolatto and it's pretty obvious that he's a big fan of pulpy detective stories and true crime, which is basically what this story is a combination of. The CSIs, NCISs, and Criminal Minds of the world all have cases solved in matter of days with a twist "It was the butler the whole time!" ending, and end on an "everything is great now" note. True Detective had none of that. This case took 30 years just to find out it was just some crazy dude the whole time and wrecked the lives of the two detectives who in the end only got one guy, even though there was obviously more to whole thing. Even with the slightly optimistic last line, there was no masking that there's still a ton of darkness out there.

As cool (and difficult) as it would've been to have a crazy yet satisfying twist ending, I think it would've cheapened the whole thing. If it turned out that Marty's father-in-law was behind the whole thing, that would've been dumb. Just because the show introduces a character (one that biologically has to exist) doesn't necessarily mean they have to be a part of the final reveal.

tl;dr: The more I think about it, the more I really like the finale.

The more I think about it, the more I really like the finale.

This.

I appreciate they went far away from everyone's theories and kept it very grounded.

One question I do have: Childress had all of those bodies wrapped up in "Carcosa" and they made a point to show us all the clothing and shoes of previous victims indicating this is where all the terrible things took place.

So why was our original victim placed out in the open in a ceremonial fashion for everyone to see? If she had been disposed of in Carcosa like the most of the other victims had been, he never would have been found out. The news report said remains from "dozens of victims" were being pieced together, so why would Childress go out of his way to display a few victims when he didn't do the same with all the others?

I liked everything except Errol.  I thought his lines were cheesy and his character was weak.  The whole buildup is to this character being the head of some cult that includes sheriffs and governors and shit... Why would any of those people answer to this guy? "Oh Errol, love what you've done with the place, you painted the walls with your dead dad's blood? That's pretty badass. Teach me about the Yellow King."

They went the route of having this backwoods hillbilly ugly totally weird and messed up dude be the pedophile/murderer but where is the charisma, the cult of personality...

I didn't expect some Hannibal-esque scholar to be living in the backwoods of Louisiana orchestrating child abductions, but I hoped for more than some half-backwards illiterate swamp-person.

Maybe it could have been different if there was one more episode with some Errol backstory.  I don't think he was believable.

He was the one with Carcosa in his backyard, and that was family property for a long time so I saw it as he inherited the control of the cult or at least Carcosa.

I just feel like a lot was left unanswered, and they threw in so many clue and symbols to try to get us to look deeper into the plot, when it turned out to be pretty superficial in the end.

they caught the guy that was the easiest to catch.

I think this is fair and something I could get behind.  Just like Errol was the caretaker for the way of the light church etc. he was the caretaker of Carcosa.  He was basically the house of all the dirty laundry. I mean he buried the bodies, made Carcosa, kept it up, and had all of the evidence pointing back to him.  Kind of like he was the dirty little scapegoat who was demented enough to not mind being the easiest to catch.

So the higher ups used this backwoods psychopath as a caretaker and scapegoat and in the end he got caught and held accountable for crimes they all orchestrated.

That's fair.

So there was no significance to that weird doll thing Marty's daughter made, right?

Correct. Which is something that did bug me.. sure, the father-in-law and everything was a stretch, and the behavior later could point to Marty being a shitty parent. But that doll setup was too much to be meaningless.

Correct. Which is something that did bug me.. sure, the father-in-law and everything was a stretch, and the behavior later could point to Marty being a shitty parent. But that doll setup was too much to be meaningless.

As someone  or a blog mentioned before, the thought is that the girls didn't actually set the dolls up. You can see the daughter putting the girl doll away before they leave the room, then Marty looks in and sees the thing and kind of shakes his head. I think it was meant to be a Rust-esque hallucinations. The work/case invading their heads while their at home.