Turning 30 / Wife is Awesome / Seattle / Rocky Votolato

I gotta tell some people who will think this is awesome.

I turn 30 in a few weeks. My favorite musician is Rocky Votolato. I have never been to the West coast / Northwest.

My wife surprised me a few days ago. She informed me she had been in talks with Rocky's manager at Undertow trying to arrange something for my 30th birthday - flying Rocky out, recording a birthday message, giving me a shoutout on Twitter - something cool. Nothing was really happening, and then Rocky announced some house shows in Seattle right around my birthday! My wife thinks she had something to do with this - haha! She's awesome.

Well, she thought the best thing would be for us to just fly to Seattle / Tacoma and go to a Rocky house show. She also got two of our best friends on board, called up a friend who can hook us up with buddy plane tickets, and so I'll be seeing Rocky in Tacoma two days after my 30th. 

Rocky was one of the first musicians who I really got into. I probably have the largest Rocky vinyl collection in the world. Seen him twice but it's been a few years.

I'm so pumped. My wife is the best. 

Also if anyone knows a sweet place me and three awesome people can stay for free or cheap. Let me know. Haha!

TL;DR. I'm turning 30. Wife surprised me with trip to Seattle to see my fave, Rocky Votolato.

That's really somethin'! You picked a keeper, fer sure  :wub:

Have fun! 

Ha - I definitely did. We've been married about six and a half years. And for my graduation she surprised me with a trip to Europe? Really really great. This makes it sound like we swim in our money or something - which is far from the truth. She is just good at figuring out deals and good ways to do stuff (like buddy passes to Europe and telling all our friends to donate to our trip for graduation present).

I just want to point out that I opened this thread initially thinking it was a show with three bands ive never heard of and Rocky opening

Turning 30 - post-college indie rock, avoiding the realities of adulthood with one last fling on the road

Wife Is Awesome - three guys in their 40's playing alt rock, all married, on tour because their wives were cool with it

Seattle - ironic grudge-rock from Portland, no ones ever heard of them, but everyone knows who they are

Rocky Votolato - duh

that was what I THOUGHT this thread was

I just want to point out that I opened this thread initially thinking it was a show with three bands ive never heard of and Rocky opening

Turning 30 - post-college indie rock, avoiding the realities of adulthood with one last fling on the road

Wife Is Awesome - three guys in their 40's playing alt rock, all married, on tour because their wives were cool with it

Seattle - ironic grudge-rock from Portland, no ones ever heard of them, but everyone knows who they are

Rocky Votolato - duh

that was what I THOUGHT this thread was

That's not what this thread is about?

Dude, that's absolutely sick! You're wife is amazing and I'm super stoked for you brother!

I hope you'll have a nice camera with you to take some shots of the memorable night. Also, I'd hit up Staples and see if he knows a place you can crash. He's still in Seattle right now and may have some connections for you.

So happy for you!

• 3 weeks later...

Cool dude! Check out Hi-Voltage Records and Turntable Treasures while you're in Tacoma. Hi-Voltage has a pretty good stock of indie and classic rock (but it's a little pricey), and Turntable Treasures specializes in cool classic rock stuff - limited variants from back in the day, imports and stuff. They also have a small alternative section and tons of foreign/world music which is honestly just fun to dig through. 

Also, go to Frisko Freeze while you're here. You can't go to Tacoma and not have Frisko Freeze.

Need any help or directions, shoot me a message on here! Have fun!

Edit: There are some cheap motels in downtown Tacoma if you're cool with staying somewhere like that. Do you know where the show is? 

Cool dude! Check out Hi-Voltage Records and Turntable Treasures while you're in Tacoma. Hi-Voltage has a pretty good stock of indie and classic rock (but it's a little pricey), and Turntable Treasures specializes in cool classic rock stuff - limited variants from back in the day, imports and stuff. They also have a small alternative section and tons of foreign/world music which is honestly just fun to dig through. 

Also, go to Frisko Freeze while you're here. You can't go to Tacoma and not have Frisko Freeze.

Need any help or directions, shoot me a message on here! Have fun!

Edit: There are some cheap motels in downtown Tacoma if you're cool with staying somewhere like that. Do you know where the show is? 

Thanks a ton. I need the advice! Haven't been to the Pacific/Northwest in my life.

Thanks a ton. I need the advice! Haven't been to the Pacific/Northwest in my life.

People here are pretty friendly for the most part. If you're going to be driving in Seattle, be warned that things get pretty congested near Pike Place Market just about every day. There are some confusing one-way streets that you'll have to keep an eye out for, and parking prices can get steep. 

Take some time to drive around and see the sights if you can. Tacoma is a beautiful town, but it smells like shit (you'll probably get used to it in the time you're here). We used to have a lead smelter down on the waterfront and the smell never really went away.