So I used the fabulous search button here and didn't find a thread for this comparison. If I missed it point it out and maybe the mods could merge it. Anyway I have a friend who wants to potentially put on some music on a small run. Other than a traditional 7" vinyl a discussion came up about the sound quality of lathes vs. flexis. Anyone own both of these? Which would you prefer, and for anyone who has had both made for their label which would they prefer and what would be the difference in cost? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lathes will usually be better than flexis as flexis are shit. But they're both pretty gimmicky to me. I'll choose an MP3 over both of the above every time. I don't think I've listened to any of my flexis more than once. The amount of money you save by doing flexis and lathes isn't worth the loss in quality of a well-made 7". But that's just one man's opinion.

If it's some real lofi acoustic recording made with one mic, then a flexi is probably fine.

I definitely have a dog in this fight as we just made lathes, but I'm lame and if it's very cheap and sounds at least decent to my ears, I like having crummy little promotional things like flexis and lathes. I got the Flaming Lips recent flexi and a couple others and it's just cool to me.

I have a 10" lathe and a 7" flexi.

While neither sounds quite right, the flexi sounded leagues better for some reason. It could be that the lathe was exceptionally shitty, I don't know. I don't have another lathe to compare it to.

I'm gonna have to lump flexis in with pic discs for 'sorta neat', and lathes, just... I don't know why people do lathes. I get that it's cheap, but it's just really bad. If you can't get proper auditory enjoyment out of it, why make it? Why would you create something that people will listen to while constantly thinking 'Wow this sounds bad and could sound way better."

Lathes are tight, as long as you put sufficient weight on your needle to stay in the grooves they'll sound pretty good. Flexis are even thinner (flexible) so I'm assuming they won't sound as good. Record pressing is expensive, unless you're going to get like 300/500 copies made, it's honestly not worth the cost, so lathes are much more understandable. 

in my experience the flex's I have sound better and have held up with time. Lathes often jump out of the grooves and wear down quickly...it maybe just be the 4 or 5 flex's I have just happen to be decent quality and the lathes really poor, who knows...

But they defiantly are not anything to seek out! Id say a proper ranking would be vinyl, cd, tape, flexi/lathe