PO Soon: Modest Mouse - Everywhere & His Nasty Parlour Tricks Repress

Just finished The Lonesome Crowded West, and I'm kinda hoping it's an acquired taste. I think that the instrumentation is great, but I think Isaac Brock tends to hinge on annoying. Does it have to grow on me?

What do you find annoying about his vocals, specifically?  If it's his lisp, you're out of luck.  Later albums feature better production that polish and smooth out his vocals, if that's your thing.  I personally love the energy and fervor of his voice in earlier MM recordings, but to each his own.

As far as "acquired taste" goes – I'd merely say that all of their albums get a lot better with familiarity and revisits.  They really came together and made sense for me after 3-4 listens each.

What do you find annoying about his vocals, specifically?  If it's his lisp, you're out of luck.  Later albums feature better production that polish and smooth out his vocals, if that's your thing.  I personally love the energy and fervor of his voice in earlier MM recordings, but to each his own.

As far as "acquired taste" goes – I'd merely say that all of their albums get a lot better with familiarity and revisits.  They really came together and made sense for me after 3-4 listens each.

No, I actually find the lisp to be a unique flair. I enjoy that. I think his off-key wailing is a bit of an annoyance. But I'm not one to give up on music like this. I wasn't sold on Thom Yorke's vocal style at first, but after I heard OK Computer 3 or 4 times, I was hooked. I'll certainly revisit these albums.

3129xjo.jpg

Front, Back

Inner sleeve, Inner sleeve.

No photo of the vinyl, as you know what black 180 gram looks like.

The positives? I have this and didn't pay an outrageous amount for it. It sounds great.

Negatives? None really, just wishes.

I wish it was a matte jacket, maybe with the horses embossed so they stick out slightly, spot gloss on those badboys? ::drool::

Also wish it was a gatefold.

Both just personal preferences though.

It really does sound phenomenal though.

Update on my MM discography run: I'm in the middle of The Moon & Antarctica and it's really fuckin' good. WAY better than the last few. My interest in the band has been renewed!

This album is probably where I developed a love for MM. I heard it when music started becoming a big deal to me. Glad you like it. What'd you think of "stars are projectors"?

This album is probably where I developed a love for MM. I heard it when music started becoming a big deal to me. Glad you like it. What'd you think of "stars are projectors"?

Didn't pay much attention to track listing, I just enjoyed it as an album. I did, however, pay attention to titles on Building Nothing Out of Something, which I'm just finishing up now. I dig it, and the standouts to me are "Never Ending Math Equation" and "A Life of Arctic Sounds".