Hurricane Irene

First and foremost I hope you VCers in the Carolinas and Virginia stay safe. I'm in NYC and of course people here are flipping their shit. I'm not really worried but 12 year old me would be. Hurricane Floyd came through in 1999 and people were scared but the only people who were affected were in flood zones. Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Floyd stay more toward the sea though? They are saying this could very well take the path and move more inland. Stay a category 2 through PA and then have be directly over Manhattan (at cat 1).

And Philadelphia has already seen a record amount of rain this month, without any effect of this hurricane yet.

I don't think it will be terrible, but it could get pretty bad.

The entire coastline of New Jersey is set for a mandatory evacuation at 8am tomorrow.

Buffalo is seriously the best place to live. The worst we get is a snowstorm of epic proportions every 30 years. No hurricanes, rare, harmless tornadoes, no real earthquakes, no flooding, no droughts...

well yea but I'd still be in Buffalo.

aside from some good wings what else is there?

Toronto?

stay safe people.. this is reported to be worse than Gloria if anyone else here from the northeast here is old enough to remember that..

Buffalo is seriously the best place to live. The worst we get is a snowstorm of epic proportions every 30 years. No hurricanes, rare, harmless tornadoes, no real earthquakes, no flooding, no droughts...

this is what i used to think living in central PA, too. however, in the past year, we've had flooding, tornadoes, and now a baby earthquake and possible hurricane. (i work on the 10th floor of a building, so I felt it a lot more than most people. i am now irrationally worried that it will happen again and my building will fall down go boom)

well yea but I'd still be in Buffalo.

aside from some good wings what else is there?

Toronto?

stay safe people.. this is reported to be worse than Gloria if anyone else here from the northeast here is old enough to remember that..

Good people, low cost of living, high quality night life, great food all around, a booming art culture, great architecture, great history, the Sabres, we used to have a pro Football team, now we just have the Bills, we're close to Canada, quality education, unless you're in the city Public School System then sorry, but tons of colleges and universities...

Buffalo gets a really bad rap. It's pretty awesome.

I live in Connecticut and people are flipping shit. I don't know if I should worry.... but if she's coming i'm moving my records downstairs.

so when your basement floods they can get ruined?

my parents had to board up and evacuate their house on long beach island in new jersey (about fifty miles from atlantic city). apparently it's supposed to get hit pretty hard. my sister's move-in date for NYU was postponed 24 hours. i'm flying back to jersey on tuesday so hopefully i miss everything but the clean up at my parent's place (including having to move my sister into greenwich village while it is flooded).

In NJ they are asking volunteer emergency personnel to go on stand-by tomorrow - they are expecting damage and are asking people to be prepared. They are proceeding very cautiously but you never know when one of these big storms can turn into a big problem.

Charge your laptops and iPods and get ready to have several hours without power.

or weeks without power. like honestly houston is generally more prepared for stuff like this i and we were out for like 13 days or something. obviously only way to prepare for that is have a generator but still just make sure if you stay you at least are somewhat prepared. it would blow to look back and be like fuck wish i had a case of water right now....

im just north of springfield, and its projected to rip directly through western mass.

i really have no idea what to expect from this. every time a hurricane is expected to hit us, it always fizzles and we get a little rain.

but this certainly seems to be far more worrisome.

also thinking i should move my records downstairs.

and im off to pick up some bud. havent really worried about stocking up on anything else.

Shit now I'm more concerned than before. Hurricane Warning and State of emergency in NYC. Mandatory evacuations around my work area (Coney Island/Brighton Beach, Brooklyn) including my wife's grandmother's. I live 10 minutes from the evacuation zone. This is crazy now. Complete MTA and Port Authority shutdown Saturday night and Sunday all day. I'm in a basement that doesn't flood but I'm not sure if I really wanna stay now. I have a feeling this is either going to be really bad or just a thunderstorm

i'm sure if they didn't shut down the NYC subway system some idiots would complain about it not running even though the tunnels are flooded. people love bitching about the MTA. or some idiots would actually want to use the subway even though it would be the first place to flood. with a complete MTA shut down it's a great time to be a taxi driver, only racquet in town.