Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Does anyone know if there are any post-rock festivals ever? I feel like a day long fest with nothing but these bands we keep discussing would be the greatest thing ever. Cuz we all know these bands can't truly be appreciated until they're seen live. Plus it would be cool to see some undiscovered stuff. I never heard of ITTCT until I saw them open for Russian Circles & knocked me on my ass.

just Dunk! fest...

but its overseas  :(

that lineup this year is torture!

edit: look at this and heart is exploding...anyone in Europe who doesn't get to this is committing unforgiveable sin.

• And So I Watch You from Afar (UK)
  • Ufomammut (IT)
  • EF (SE)
  • God Is An Astronaut (IE)
  • Steak Number Eight (BE)
  • Mannheim (NL)
  • Tides From Nebula (PL)
  • Marius (US)
  • Halo Of Pendor (SE)
  • Year Of No Light (FR)
  • Alright The Captain (UK)
  • Zero Absolu (FR)
  • Alias Empire (IE)
  • Exxasens (ES)
  • Arms and Sleepers (US)
  • Indignu (PT)
  • Syberia (ES)
  • UpCDownC (UK)
  • MOTEK (BE)
  • The Seven Mile Journey (DK)
  • Industroika (BE)
  • Sleepmakeswaves (AU)
  • Lymbyc Systym (US)
  • Le Seul Elément (FR)
  • Lost In Kiev (FR)
  • Kerretta (NZ)
  • Aesthesys (RU)
  • The Best Pessimist (UA)
  • Thisquietarmy (CAN)
  • Nadja (CAN/DE)

font from the site I copied and pasted

I highly recomend destroyalldreamers

Wish I Was All Flames is my favorite and and there is a 12" called Glare/Halo from an awesome label in California called Clairs Echo that features a lot of the songs.

http://www.destroyalldreamers.com/dad-en.html

I just checked out a couple songs they had posted. I liked the vibe they had. I liked the pronounced bass. Kind of a chill but groovy sound to it. Will prob check out more by them.

Even though it's not instrumental, Gifts From Enola gets lumped into this style of music, & I just want to take this time to profess my love for the beautiful & epic "Clawmarks". As the record I'm now spinning comes to an end, this song never ceases to absorb me. One of my all time favorite closers. It's like a violent F5 tornado in the middle of a wide open field that you just stand and watch because you're paralyzed by it's power & beauty.

In my opinion, one of the main perks of the EP is that it is in fact so seamless. The first track alone has some builds and riffage that can roll with the likes of Russian Circles and Pelican, as far as I'm concerned. And that haunting, abstract intermission is such a nice touch. And the strong melodies throughout... I don't know, man. I've listened to it about 7 times now, and still find myself being able to enjoy it more and more.

Yeah I may give it a few more tries through. The best albums never hit me hard the first several listens anyways.

I've been digging Don's Khaldera real hard though. That kicks me in my ass harder on each listen.

We're on the opposite sides of the table, haha.  I keep reminding myself that I need to give Khaldera another play or three, but I find that I'm seldom in the mood to do so.

We're on the opposite sides of the table, haha.  I keep reminding myself that I need to give Khaldera another play or three, but I find that I'm seldom in the mood to do so.

I need to add that to my playlist.  I downloaded it and keep forgetting that it's sitting on my computer.  Seems like I get to things a little faster if there is a bandcamp tab open, nagging me to listen.

Definitely legit strings! This record is really good! Especially regarding the fact that most of the guys were/are teens!!!

Happy to have been able to snag a black tour press!

Sasan, who are you talking about? Talons? If so, I like that album alot.  I believe that if the amazing cellist for TPSQ would have done the strings instead of those sometimes shrill violins (i agree with Evan), that would have been one WHALE of a record. But as it is, I have learned to tolerate those shrills, like the shrieks on TPSQs albums, esp Rope 4 No Hopers for the excellent contrasts of distortion/gain guitars and classical strings.  In fact alot of people writing reviews or commenting on TPSQ think the cellist is actually playing violin, because his range in keeping in tune and timbre are so incredible!

Talons is supposed to have a new already right? Hope someone posts over yonder ...when the time is ripe.

I have listened to 7 bands from this thread and want to thank all who have posted:  bought several mp3 albums, one vinyl actually looking for pretty hard, and some bands were very good, but I already have enough of that particular vein of postrock.

Nothing bad at all!! everything >3.0 on Sputnik scale, but I have had to discipline my buying of physical to 4.0 or greater, usually 4.5. (fwiw, I have rated about 425 albums out of about 800 total listened intently, and there are 8  5.0's - to me a perfect or 'classic' record, no filler, no weakness, no skipping, long-lasting, perhaps a game-changer.

Instead of naming bands and updating / editing this post, will just leave it that. This isn't my blog.

I have to be honest in that sharing music I like, even privately, has always been somewhat awkward or felt risky, and I'm usually *not* on the cutting edge at all, most often mid to late to the party, occasionally early bird, so this site has been a tremendous resource for which I am thankful.  I have taken away much more than given, so that's what I've had a few giveaways.

That being said, I feel some pressure only to post bands I think are 4.5 or better - and either quite novel in their approach or making virtuoso and well produced music that is vinyl worthy AND not well known -- lest I bore or insult the more involved folks, at the expense of a newer listener missing out. But if you are a new listener following this thread, stop lurking and say something.

I have run across a couple recently in the past month "new to me" bands, but they are probably already well-known but no thread started in the other forum, so eh.  Keep on the lookout there for when PO's drop, I'll likely post'em over there if no one beats me to it. :)

OK, so after typing all that disclaimer stuff up there, throwing caution to the wind, here are a couple that I have been enjoying recently, NOT saying they're vinyl-worthy or 4.5, or "new discoveries" / hardly, or doing anything game-changing, yada yada

50:50 PostMetal/PostRock kinda like Russian Circles spectrum but they will do it within the same track, Later ISIS instrumental, Kerretta, Toundra, Dumbsaint, maybe some Pelican, ....maybe, but better.

UK Trio - Pet Slimmers of the Year: http://petslimmersoftheyear.bandcamp.com  Still not ten listens through but "...And the Sky Fell" is great. They have a new single with a video, about a 6 minute lighter instrumental track. Only watched the video once but it was rather moving to me actually, idk why, the theme has been done before. Solid 3.5, maybe better. They actually may be getting the vinyl treatment for the new album. edit: their S/T is also solid, great post metal moments.

Romanian PostRock - Valerinne: http://valerinne.bandcamp.com/  Arborescent is not 'intense' or 'soft-loud' or 'groundbreaking', but just this persistent, engaging instrumental music that won't stop or let you go wandering away, through 12+ minute tracks. No mathy or heavy stuff - that makes you want to tap your foot or head bang, just seems to be well executed, well produced and pleasing every time. Solid 3.5.

So I figured out my sputnik ratings are pretty inflated overall by about 1/2 a point. I'm an easy grader :) , probably a sieve.

Hope one or two find these worthwhile.

edit: jakeL recommended by the OP is definite thumbs up, each release is different. Checking out Nomads, Tides of Man, and more GNSD tonight

Nomads is average. they might bore you.

Definitely not in the same vein as Dying Sun ;)

Nomads and Tides of Man were still good listens after a crazy day, and they went into the 'already have enough of' file, pretty much the same with GNSD, but one album is sticking in my hindbrain to go back and recheck...

Finished off with Alicia Merz new album to totally unwind the brain last night. Love her minimalist approach and whispered vocals.

Getting pumped for Russian Circles on Monday. 

On for the weekend cue, Charlie!

Just got a rec on this band, probably known to The Old Guard , but new to me: Sleep Lady

Liking what I hear the first time through - seems the new track for the upcoming album is more mellow than earlier material, but still good nonetheless. Might end up in the 'already have enough this' file.

http://sleeplady.bandcamp.com

• jhulud locked this topic