Post-VC: Official Post-Rock/Post-Metal Discussion

mrewest

Wess Meets West

http://wessmeetswest.bandcamp.com/album/when-the-structures-fail-us

Sounds like Maybeshewill & Caspian had sex with each other (IMO).

EDIT: And maybe a little Sleepmakeswaves.

Listening to this now, very nice - love the description :) I hear a little GFE sound esp on Track 4.

New music this week (to me) that I keep coming back to:

1. Sleepstream:   Post(hard)rock/metal AND strings -- would say RIYL Talons and TPSQ, because of the juxtaposition of the elements, but  they really don't soundlike either.

Maybe like The Seven Mile Journey without an eerieness.  New album out on Fluttery Records bandcamp. First time through their debut album was also a good impression.

https://sleepstream-music.bandcamp.com/album/they-flew-in-censored-skies

2. The Singer Is Dead:  I wouldn't say 'mathy' at all just really well done, enjoyable instrumental rock.  Free d/l if you follow on Twitter and tweet their bandcamp link, or Like and Share on FB. Message them if the d/l link doesn't show up.

http://thesingerisdead.bandcamp.com/

FWIW, I ordered both of the *shels albums - edit: they ship from CA, and the shipping is a rip :angry:

Mehdi Safa (Medi) was very responsive to email and answering questions, very friendly dude. Says there are only about 35 or 40 of the "Plains..."  Repressed Purple Marble left, after which there will be no more pressings.

The /300 Clear purple 1st pressing seem to be drawing some high dollars, and is listed on the bandcamp site as what is for sale, but it's not - it's the 2nd press Marble.  edit: I got Clear Purple A/B and Black C/D and sounds fantastic, no mp3 codes, but they have a You Tube channel now, and if you dig around there are free d/l codes for PotPB and some Latitudes.

I actually like "Sea Of The Dying Dhow" a little better though as a start to finish album, but the second half of "Plains..." simply demands my attention, and I can't do anything else but listen.  edit: It's now a tie, love both, almost cry on that Butterflies track <<the feels>>

I also love the vocals on "Sea..." tracks where it sounds exactly like Peter Gabriel, toward the end of the album, I think 8 and 10. The intense vocals and gain/distortion guitar are perfectly placed.

Up for next week to check out is: Beneath The Watchful Eyes  http://beneath-the-watchful-eyes.bandcamp.com/

diggin on this: Audrey Fall

http://audreyfall.bandcamp.com/

love the photo on the cover.

Been enjoying this for several weeks now, but not have not purchased it.  Good one for the thread here, Charlie.

Fluttery says something may be happening with Sleepstream - see above (I've been hounding them about a limited vinyl run). I'd be all over that.  Plus, The Seven Mile Journey should have some new material this year (fingers crossed) and Nicolai said vinyl was not 100% but highly probable.

Set and Setting are hitting the studio per SoS email.

I'd be surprised if some of you guys didn't like this album by Audrey Fall. Epic, intense, long, Latvian post-metal.

https://audreyfall.bandcamp.com/album/mitau

It's on Spotify as well.

If you just wanna check out one song, I'd highly recommend Bermondt.

Plus this has one of the most gorgeous album covers I've seen.

Not being rude - because I do appreciate you thinking of us and taking the time to share - but Audrey Fall was gushed about just a few posts above you, haha.  Still need to check them out.  I agree that the album art is beautifully surreal, too.

At least I know my after-the-fact instincts were correct haha.

It's a shame there's no vinyl for this album. Would be killer to own. Especially on like a mossy green color.

Omik's got you covered.

Audrey Fall released their debut album, Mitau, in January, and, according to their frontman, it looks like it might be getting a vinyl release sometime soon.

Wow what timing!

I agree with your assessment of the album as well. First time through I was actually a bit bored in a weird way because the elements of post-rock I've liked the most were all present, but it almost seemed "too perfect", but 2nd time through a few things started to pop & really draw me in. I think upon multiple listens things will continuously reveal themselves to me & I'll grow to love this album more & more.

And that vinyl better be done properly. This is an album that needs to sound loud & not have any elements get lost in the mix.

Wow what timing!

I agree with your assessment of the album as well. First time through I was actually a bit bored in a weird way because the elements of post-rock I've liked the most were all present, but it almost seemed "too perfect", but 2nd time through a few things started to pop & really draw me in. I think upon multiple listens things will continuously reveal themselves to me & I'll grow to love this album more & more.

And that vinyl better be done properly. This is an album that needs to sound loud & not have any elements get lost in the mix.

I think that their stronger writing lies in their post-metal and more aggressive sound.  Not that their melodic, "atmospheric" tracks are bad by any means... they're just so formulaic that I, too, found myself a little bored at times.  At least on the first listen.  I'm already keen to hear what the second listen will reveal.

Agreed that the mastering needs to be handled well on this one.  As much as I'd like to see some variants that would match that lovely album art, I'm a little more concerned with everything sounding crisp and clean at loud volumes.

I think that their stronger writing lies in their post-metal and more aggressive sound.  Not that their melodic, "atmospheric" tracks are bad by any means... they're just so formulaic that I, too, found myself a little bored at times.  At least on the first listen.  I'm already keen to hear what the second listen will reveal.

Agreed that the mastering needs to be handled well on this one.  As much as I'd like to see some variants that would match that lovely album art, I'm a little more concerned with everything sounding crisp and clean at loud volumes.

My vote: 180gm Black (or Forest Green) /250

Get Harris/Common mix and master this thing and you'll get crisp/clean at high dB.  

You may be bored with the Khaldera music, but I don't think I've been as impressed with production crispness like that in a long time.

If you're into later ISIS (like ITAOT and WR) and cried because you thought they hung it up too early, here is something along those lines with minimal vocals.

For the ones who need a hook up front, valley down soft in the middle, and ramp up a bit for the finish, here's the opening track from their 5 song album:

I dig this gal, Motion Sickness Of Time Travel... synth driven ambient noise. Here are 3 recent favorites:

I've had a lot of her stuff on my computer for the last year of so and I keep forgetting about it.  I really need to get on that.

I saw This Will Destroy You tonight and had a pretty good time.  They played a ~100 minute set!  I think their pre-Tunnel Blanket material is really generic, but I enjoyed it a lot more in a live environment.   I guess they're planning to have a new album out in the fall too.

I've had a lot of her stuff on my computer for the last year of so and I keep forgetting about it.  I really need to get on that.

I saw This Will Destroy You tonight and had a pretty good time.  They played a ~100 minute set!  I think their pre-Tunnel Blanket material is really generic, but I enjoyed it a lot more in a live environment.   I guess they're planning to have a new album out in the fall too.

How many openers did they have?

I've never seen TWDY live - would love to one day (with my Etymotics).  People who got them, RC, Helms and KEN mode in Phoenix were some lucky people!

I love YM and the S/T - it was what I needed when battling some pain from an injury at the time. Burial on Presidio Banks is very emotional for me.  Tunnel Blanket (to my ears) went very ambient and more layered, a totally different direction. The stuff from TB sounds alright on the live album though.

• jhulud locked this topic