Kanye West sound quality

808's sounds incredible (the original anyways, haven't heard the repress yet). The College Dropout and MBDTF sound alright.  Not great, but not too bad either.  Late Registration sounds like a dog turd.  The Yeezus bootleg sounds alright, and I haven't heard the Graduation bootleg yet, but I'm assuming that sounds okay too.

I picked up MBDTF dirt-cheap used a while back (like $10)... And it was worth that much... But it doesn't sound great.

About the same time I snagged the Channel Orange boot which blows away MBDTF, a legit Def Jam press. Maybe Def Jam should just let the German folks do ALL their presses from here on out?...

Late registration is an incredible album... I only have 808s on vinyl right now which sounds nice as said above... I woll definately get the others at some point, despite the quality... Music is music

If you think an unlistenable pressing makes no difference then sure but Late Registration has all kinds of sibilance to the point that it's ACTUALLY UNLISTENABLE. Don't fetishize vinyl. Just buy the CD for that one.

I'm still hoping for a box set of the first 3 albums where Dropout has all the Skits intact, Late Registration doesn't sound like ass & Graduation isn't a bootleg.

If you think an unlistenable pressing makes no difference then sure but Late Registration has all kinds of sibilance to the point that it's ACTUALLY UNLISTENABLE. Don't fetishize vinyl. Just buy the CD for that one.

I'm still hoping for a box set of the first 3 albums where Dropout has all the Skits intact, Late Registration doesn't sound like ass & Graduation isn't a bootleg.

All of this.

I'll probably pull the trigger on MBDTF when amazon can ship it immediately.

i dont own late registration, but stay away from that. i was really hoping for a 10th anniversary repress of college dropout, 'cause the original edition doesn't include the skits (sound quality's fine, though). i never understood the love the OG 808's vinyl got - its certainly a BEAUTIFUL package, but sound quality never stood out to me. and there's no way it was recorded analog. everything kanye's done is protools. there's even photos of him working on 808's sitting around computers with protools open.

i haven't bought MBDTF, even though it's his best, because i've heard bad things about sound quality. def jam has really fucked up in recent years. i'll probably wind up buying it anyways.

MFSL needs to get on kanye's discography and give this man justice on this format. 

808s absolutely was not recorded analog, nor pretty much anything he's done recently. But te original pressing did use a much better source than the CD and sounded amazing. The reissue is a recut done at an entirely different studio, no telling how it compares or if they even used the same source but if it doesn't blow you away soundwise you're missing out. It's a night and day difference in quality between the cd/LP for that title.

Never got really into Graduation like I did the others. *braces for angry mob*

The albums for me go

Yeezus

MBDTF

Late Registration

808s

Graduation

College Dropout

And I just picked up a bootleg of Yeezus WITH Bound 2.

Did you put a mirror to your list by accident? There's no way Yeezus or Late Registration are his best....

• 1 month later...

Yeezus is my personal favorite. MBDTF I like quite a lot and I think is the best. I don't think Yeezus should be ranked with all the others- it's so weird. 

My list is actually

MBDTF

Late Reg

Graduation

808s

College Dropout

I really do hate college dropout. It's so impersonal. I can't get into a 21 track album.

• 4 months later...