Torrents / NZBs / File Sharing

a coworker of mine got caught downloading a movie (can't remember which one right now... was about 3 years ago)

anyway, comcast sent him an email stating that they knew he downloaded that specific movie and warner bros made a copyright claim and that this was his first warning.

he never used demonoid again.

If this is the first strike punishment, what is there really to fear until you get nabbed once?

the impression he got was that if he got caught again, comcast would terminate his service. he received no notification of legal action being taken against him by warner bros.

i guess they've taken to threatening service providers instead of individual people.

nice try bigle :P ( I don't know your real name.. )

I used to work for GWU as an IT security intern.  I didn't realize it till years later but I actually wrote up a page for the security team regarding piracy and whether or not GWU could be held liable if a student was fined for piracy.  At the time I wrote this, I had written that the copyright teams were moving away from the individual and towards the provider.  As a result, GWU stopped looking up users who illegally downloaded and getting them in trouble. 

I believe the general thing now is that although you can get in trouble for piracy, you're not going to get fined millions of dollars and at most you'll get a warning.  Even then it's going to be difficult.  I don't know anyone personally who has been warned, except for one kid but this was 6 or 7 years ago.

Let's say I was to get busted for downloading this weeks episode of American Horror Story (purely theoretical...no plans to download copyrighted material).

What is the current penalty for pirates? We've all seen that warning at the beginning of movies, but do people really get things like $50k fines? Or in today's world, do they get a couple hundred dollars fine and a slap on the wrist for the first offense?

More than likely you'd only get a warning. If you continue you could get your speed throttled or disconnected for a short time, if you continue from than on they'll either drop you or turn you into the copyright holders.

I don't want to say it's impossible to get fined right off the bat, but IPs tend to give you the benefit of the doubt and warn you on your first offense. They're mostly gunning for seeders and uploaders, kill the brain kill the body.

More than likely you'd only get a warning. If you continue you could get your speed throttled or disconnected for a short time, if you continue from than on they'll either drop you or turn you into the copyright holders.

I don't want to say it's impossible to get fined right off the bat, but IPs tend to give you the benefit of the doubt and warn you on your first offense. They're mostly gunning for seeders and uploaders, kill the brain kill the body.

which is why i never make it on private torrent sites because i'm not going to sit there and let my ratio get great while i'm personally responsible for 100s of other people getting the album off me when i just wanted 1 copy.

which is why i never make it on private torrent sites because i'm not going to sit there and let my ratio get great while i'm personally responsible for 100s of other people getting the album off me when i just wanted 1 copy.

admittedly, i never seed torrents. i am evil.

I never fully understood this and someone tried to explain it to me in another thread, but a torrent is essentially instructions that say "this IP has a file called this in this location. Go get it". So regardless of IP records, trackers, whatever, couldn't someone seeding be associated with a file? If I owned the copyright on a movie, couldn't I download the torrent and find out what IP it sent me to get the file?

I never fully understood this and someone tried to explain it to me in another thread, but a torrent is essentially instructions that say "this IP has a file called this in this location. Go get it". So regardless of IP records, trackers, whatever, couldn't someone seeding be associated with a file? If I owned the copyright on a movie, couldn't I download the torrent and find out what IP it sent me to get the file?

Do you remember P2P clients like Napster, iMesh, Limewire? Users would share content by directly uploading and downloading it from another peer (or a few). Torrents essentially take many small pieces from many users and complies them into your content. When you seed something, you're basically becoming an accessory. Even though you didn't post the material initially, you're assisting the uploader by providing bandwidth to get it out to more people. I'm not exactly sure how one identifies leechers/seeders of a specific torrent file, but they basically want to see who has seeded it (usually paying more attention to the most predominate seeders). They don't identify you directly, they look at your IP address and are able to find out your internet provider, than contact them with the information. Your internet provider will determine your fault in the matter. I wouldn't say somebody that only downloads and doesn't seed is safe. You seed data when you download a torrent no matter what, even if you set the rate to 0/kbps there's still small amounts of meta data and file data going back into the community.

Getting behind a proxy will 'hide' your IP address (more popular torrent clients have this built into them), but it will also significantly slow down your up/down speeds because it is mirroring the data to a third party. NZB SSL encoding added another great layer of protection, and as we've discussed in the past NZBs download in a similar fashion to torrents, but instead of downloading bits of a puzzle from other people, you're getting them from many random servers often time not staying on a single one long enough to get popped as a media pirate. You also don't upload any data on your end. This is also why NZBs would download so quickly and your monthly charge would pay for server space as well as all the other included goodies. Indexes and usenet providers will be the targets for the NZB crackdown. Bad days ahead indeed.

I understand the general concept of torrents and NZBs. I guess I could ask my question this way -- If I went to piratebay, downloaded a torrent of a movie, and could somehow manipulate the torrent client with perfect control (through source code I could log every action it made), wouldn't there be information in there about every little bit of data that was downloaded and what IP it came from? Regardless of whether a tracker was "public" or "private"?

For right now, Sick Beard is still doing an OK job of finding my shows. I just went into the configuration and checked all the sources of NZBs. Not sure where exactly they are coming from. Just seems like they are coming in a little slower. So I am still paying $12 a month for usenet with ssl encoding on my downloading and I don't have to upload anything. The connection between Sick Beard and NZBmatrix was never encoded anyways, right? Or was that made over usenet too? If it is using something like Sick Beard Index for NZBs, is this any less secure than NZBmatrix or is it just not as reliable since it isn't a premium site?

I'll probably listen to the podcast tomorrow

It's good. I like that they make a point that people who use Usenet are paying for the content they want, and aren't necessarily pirating media and that networks should embrace this idea and take advantage of this medium instead of retarding it's progress.

• 2 weeks later...