PO: OST - Garden State

the fact is vinyl is surging in interest and there's way more interest in people getting back into it and trying to find their favorite albums. look at what happened in 2014 alone, it's the biggest RSD ever, mew frengers, Deloused, all these in demand albums are getting represses, normal releases like beck is selling out, etc.

There's a big market that's only growing and there are the same or less amount of record pressing plants out there as there were in the late 90s when vinyl was pronounced dead. I agree that prices are rising and ridiculous, but people are paying it. At the end of the day this is going to probably have a pressing between 2000-5000 copies for a Grammy award winning, uniformly excellent soundtrack that introduces some very in demand songs to the vinyl format for the first time, as well as the first time this album has been available on LP. For an album that has likely sold millions in CD format. This is not some obscure 80s horror movie soundtrack that we happily pay 30-35 dollars for. Look at how expensive the original pressings of the Almost famous, high fidelity, lost in translation soundtracks go for these days. I pre ordered it as soon as it went up.

What bothers me is when it sounds like people are bashing the movie (or any form of entertainment) just because others are & they act like it's cool to hate on it. And that's what it seemed like to me when skimming through the article/comments.

Saying it's a horrible piece of shit seems ignorant. Saying you didn't like the movie is totally different.

I fucking hate musicals. I think singing normal sentences is the most annoying thing on earth. I'm not going to sit here and say musicals are fucking horrible pieces of shit just because I'm not into it.

I personally don't understand what there is to hate about this movie. But if you don't like it, so be it.

Ok I'm done wasting my time clogging this thread with nonsense!

To be fair there was maybe one person that paid $40 for it and a metric shit ton of weirdos on eBay paying $100+ for it. Just that RSD fever, if it came out in the middle of the summer or fall people would be laughing at the $18-$20 sticker price for a 1 song, 3 remix GITD 10". More importantly it wasn't $40+ at most stores, that's just what the aftermarket has priced it at.

Not trying to play devil's advocate, this Garden State soundtrack has a stupid price tag and I suggest everyone vote with their dollars and not buy this. Just my opinion, if someone thinks it's worth $40 then more power to them and they should let me know if their employer is currently hiring.

If I may briefly defend my actions regarding paying 40 bucks for Ghostbusters. I rarely, if ever acquire my vinyl through overpaying in the secondary market. I can't remember the last time I overpayed for anything like that (not even to complete my Fireworks collection). I'm starting to collect some vinyl based on things my kids like. I'm going to give it to my youngest daughter who really likes that song and movie. I'm guilty. As far as buying something like this that is initially released at a ludicrous cost from the get go, I think it's ridiculous, and there's really no justification for it.

If I may briefly defend my actions regarding paying 40 bucks for Ghostbusters. I rarely, if ever acquire my vinyl through overpaying in the secondary market. I can't remember the last time I overpayed for anything like that (not even to complete my Fireworks collection). I'm starting to collect some vinyl based on things my kids like. I'm going to give it to my youngest daughter who really likes that song and movie. I'm guilty. As far as buying something like this that is initially released at a ludicrous cost from the get go, I think it's ridiculous, and there's really no justification for it.

I don't think it's fair for people to rag on you - especially if it's for your kid.  Guaranteed 75% of the members here have overpayed for a record or two for themselves, nevermind on something for their kids.  I mean... how many people's parents over payed for a Tickle Me Elmo years ago?

I don't think it's fair for people to rag on you - especially if it's for your kid. Guaranteed 75% of the members here have overpayed for a record or two for themselves, nevermind on something for their kids. I mean... how many people's parents over payed for a Tickle Me Elmo years ago?

Haha thanks. Nobody's really ragged on me. It's just when he said 'one person' on the boards payed 40, I know he's talking about me, because I was the only person who admitted to paying that much.

Haha thanks. Nobody's really ragged on me. It's just when he said 'one person' on the boards payed 40, I know he's talking about me, because I was the only person who admitted to paying that much.

I wasn't trying to put you on blast or anything at all, I was replying to the user who said multiple people paid $40 when that isn't the case. The majority of people buying after market are paying much more than that. One could argue that you got a good deal, given most are selling for 3-4 times that amount. I personally wouldn't pay that much for that record but I'm not appalled or upset that you did in the least bit. If you're happy you got one, I'm happy for you.

I don't think it's fair for people to rag on you - especially if it's for your kid.  Guaranteed 75% of the members here have overpayed for a record or two for themselves, nevermind on something for their kids.  I mean... how many people's parents over payed for a Tickle Me Elmo years ago?

My name is Noalarmplanet, and I have overpaid for records before!

Just to clarify as it was I that made the original post, I meant no specific disrespect to anyone for purchasing the "Ghostbusters" 10" at $40 or any amount for that matter. The bottom line is that people can and should buy what they want.

But my intended point is that what constitutes something being "overpriced" is entirely subjective. I, for one, do not consider $40 to be a horrific price to pay for what I consider to be one of the best soundtracks of recent years. I've wanted this on vinyl since the movie was released so I will definitely be purchasing. My comment was directed and what seemed to be many people's apparent disgust with this costing $40, yet seeming to not have a problem spending that or much more for other records that I personally (again, subjective) do not believe warrants the price.

Anyhow, no offense intended and I hope none was taken.

RPM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...