Minus the Bear - Planet Of Ice 2xLP Reissue

Repress is up on SRC. 2xLP pressed on purple (/1000), put out by Suicide Squeeze.

http://www.shopradiocast.com/products/Minus-The-Bear-%252d-Plant-of-Ice-2XLP.html

SRC has the following pressing numbers:

Purple (/1000)

Ice (/1000)

180g Black (/1000)

I'm sure Suicide Squeeze will be selling one or both of the other variants.

This is the standard price for reiusses from SRC. Mars Volta was $40 wasnt it? Finch was same price as well.

Edit: I dont agree with it, but its nothing new with these guys.

The "brand" on this is Suicide Squeeze, so I don't think SRC is actually having it pressed. Hence the hope that SS will have a better price.

Edit: just saw the email, SRC definitely has nothing to do with this, they have just launched their preorders before anyone else (like always).

Finch was $29.99, Mars Volta was a euro import, and SRC didn't press this.

Didnt say they pressed it. It is a reissue, no? SRC has it up for preorder as well, no?

They marked up the price, that is my point. Even if SS has it for $20, you think SRC would sell it that cheap? I dont. Thats why they probably jumped the gun on SS with a preorder so people jump on the more expensive route first.

This is the standard price for reiusses from SRC. Mars Volta was $40 wasnt it? Finch was same price as well.

Edit: I dont agree with it, but its nothing new with these guys.

Finch was a special case because it had never been pressed to vinyl before.  Everything had to be created from scratch. The Mars Volta stuff were EU imports from Music on Vinyl, which are always more expensive.  Still, if you look at the Handsome release SRC did, it was $23.99 and came with a bonus 7".  But because Minus the Bear is a more well known band, they can squeeze that $33 out of people a little easier.

Finch was a special case because it had never been pressed to vinyl before.  Everything had to be created from scratch. The Mars Volta stuff were EU imports from Music on Vinyl, which are always more expensive.  Still, if you look at the Handsome release SRC did, it was $23.99 and came with a bonus 7".  But because Minus the Bear is a more well known band, they can squeeze that $33 out of people a little easier.

I understand, but your Finch analogy really doesnt hold weight when their are labels who put out records "from scratch" for less than half the price. I get it, licensing fees, but do we really even know how much that cost them? Mind you, I bought them both, just being devil's advocate here...

Edit: I dont even know who Handsome is, but I thoguht there were a bunch of releases SRC put out that ended up  on their clearance pages. Like the quicksand LPs

I understand, but your Finch analogy really doesnt hold weight when their are labels who put out records "from scratch" for less than half the price. I get it, licensing fees, but do we really even know how much that cost them? Mind you, I bought them both, just being devil's advocate here...

Edit: I dont even know who Handsome is, but I thoguht there were a bunch of releases SRC put out that ended up  on their clearance pages. Like the quicksand LPs

Well, for a company like SRC who is a licensee, they should be able to offer records for less money if they can use parts already created from the initial pressing.  Whether that is the full size artwork, the mastered-for-vinyl audio files, or whatever.  When they have to procure all of that from scratch, it will obviously raise the cost, and this is on top of paying the label to license the rights to actually produce the record.  

If we use your analogy of labels being able to make a record from scratch for less, that's because they aren't paying licensing rights, they more than likely have an in-house artist who does all of the jacket artwork and/or setup and all the other little things that have to happen in order to get audio and artwork out the door and to a manufacturing facility.  Those costs are built into the label's daily working cost, so yeah, they can still offer a record for $15 or $20.  I honestly can't say for sure how SRC is set up, so I don't know if they have an in-house staff that does that stuff or not, but I would assume they don't.  Still, a from scratch release like Finch would be more labor intensive for SRC than it would for Finch's label to do - hence the up charge.

So thinking about that, since Suicide Squeeze should still have all the shit to repress Planet of Ice, their prices should be cheaper than SRC's.  I'm not saying they will be, but I hope so.

And yeah, I bought the Finch release and De-loused, so I'm doing some sort of weird devil's advocate thing too.

Edit:  I just saw your edit... if you dig Say Hello to Sunshine, you'd probably dig that Handsome record.

is why

Well, for a company like SRC who is a licensee, they should be able to offer records for less money if they can use parts already created from the initial pressing.  Whether that is the full size artwork, the mastered-for-vinyl audio files, or whatever.  When they have to procure all of that from scratch, it will obviously raise the cost, and this is on top of paying the label to license the rights to actually produce the record.  

If we use your analogy of labels being able to make a record from scratch for less, that's because they aren't paying licensing rights, they more than likely have an in-house artist who does all of the jacket artwork and/or setup and all the other little things that have to happen in order to get audio and artwork out the door and to a manufacturing facility.  Those costs are built into the label's daily working cost, so yeah, they can still offer a record for $15 or $20.  I honestly can't say for sure how SRC is set up, so I don't know if they have an in-house staff that does that stuff or not, but I would assume they don't.  Still, a from scratch release like Finch would be more labor intensive for SRC than it would for Finch's label to do - hence the up charge.

So thinking about that, since Suicide Squeeze should still have all the shit to repress Planet of Ice, their prices should be cheaper than SRC's.  I'm not saying they will be, but I hope so.

And yeah, I bought the Finch release and De-loused, so I'm doing some sort of weird devil's advocate thing too.

Restecpah. This is why im in the business of buying and not selling, haha. Jeeze.

Edit:  I just saw your edit... if you dig Say Hello to Sunshine, you'd probably dig that Handsome record.

Feeling it. Thanks for the rec!