My friends house burnt down. Lost everything she owned (including records)

I hate to be THAT guy but trying to get your records back immediately should not be a priority in a situation like this.

I agree. I know it sucks that they were destroyed and I hope she gets them all replaced but let us know about clothing donations and everyday living things just so she can have the basics covered first. I'm sure she will be able to get all her records replaced though. Hopefully at a decent price :(

I asked her about it and she said shes fine with stuff like that.

Oh, you mean she would very much appreciate this extremely kind donation from a stranger...right? Otherwise she sounds like kind of a...uh...y'know, an entitled jerk.

I really don't want to come off like a dick, I just want to clarify exactly what this money is going toward...is it legitimately only for records? Is she furnishing her new residence...?

records, neccessities/toiletries, i believe she needs a new bed/comfortor as well. I made the campaign the second i heard it happened and i know she lost literally everything besides a lone beanie.

Okay, so she just tried to buy a record from me on eBay. Unfortunately she tried to message me a different address than the "confirmed" one that she checked out with. Any experienced seller knows you get no seller protection unless you ship it to the confirmed address.

I messaged her back and told her I would have to cancel the transaction and she would have to change her confirmed address before repurchasing. She replied with "my old house burned down". That's when I remembered this thread so it's good to see the story checks out, and I feel bad about canceling the transaction now. But you might want to let her know that's a common scamming trick and that she should update her addresses on eBay and PayPal. Just a heads up!

She's already buying records back (on ebay no less) after this sob story of a thread of how she lost everything? Sounds like she's doing fine if she's already back to collecting.

I haven't talked to her about any of that so I wouldn't know. I plan on helping her at least get the cheap common records she had back .

It does seem very "sob story." I'm not doubting that it happened, I'm just very confused as to why out of all the things you would have to replace after "losing everything except a beanie" records would find their way to the top of the list. Why would she not be accepting clothing donations or other items except money or records?

Jimmy got renters insurance and I am covered through his policy even though we're not married. It's nice to have that security especially with all the records in our house.

Regardless I don't like people asking for money for this type of stuff, vet bills, things like that. This stuff happens every day, yes it is tragic, but people act like adults and handle it themselves. The last thing I would do is go online asking for money. It just rubs me the wrong way.

"This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by thatvinylguyView it anyway?"

I don't remember why I blocked this guy on VC, but he is the only person. Anyway, reading this post, I laughed at this:

I have no idea actually I need to ask her. I believe that she pays some of her rent and her mom pays the rest. She lives on her own.

The definition of living "on your own" is doing it, on your own. 

Sucks that she lost all her stuff. But it is just stuff and stuff can be purchased again. Aren't there other needs? Trying to buy records shouldn't be a priority. 

I lived in New Orleans in 2005 when Hurricane Katrina and the man-made disaster of the levees failing inundated my place for nearly a month with water. While I was away from my apartment, all I wondered about were mix CDs I had from friends, photographs I couldn't replace, other non-buyable things, etc. I didn't buy a single record for a while until I saw what I had and what I lost. Thankfully, I lived on the second floor and didn't lose anything. 

Jimmy got renters insurance and I am covered through his policy even though we're not married. It's nice to have that security especially with all the records in our house.

Is there a thread on here about how to properly document your records for insurance purposes?  I'm guessing a discogs collection list doesn't cut it.