PO SOON: Beach Slang - Cheap Thrills On A Dead End Street 7"

Yea, this isn't even too far delayed. Dudes need to relax. Tiny Engines always gets it done. Chuck and Will have always been very responsive and helpful. Wasn't the estimated ship on this December or January? It'll come.

Pretty sure it was for the first week of November originally.  It's a decent-ish delay.

Holy Moses ... I was tempted to not post in this thread, just so I could enjoy the increasing levels of conjecture-based hilarity!

As some have pointed out, we made the announcement on October 15th that the Beach Slang and Places To Hide 7-inches were delayed.  You can see the Facebook and Twitter links below.  It has been posted at the top of the Tiny Engines website since that time as well.

We've been pretty transparent about the matter.  If you've sent us an email asking about your order, there's a good chance we haven't responded because we're two dudes who are doing the work of what should probably be 5 or 6 dudes ... not to mention the fact that we've already addressed the issue via our website and social media.

https://www.facebook.com/tinyengines/posts/10152769934104726

https://twitter.com/tinyengines/status/522482485574516737

As for why the records been delayed?  Vinyl is simply taking that much longer to manufacture.  This summer we were looking at 12 week turnaround times, give-or-take.  In mid-September we received an email from Rainbo that stated the following:

"PLEASE NOTE: Rainbo Records ETA right now on Vinyl Pressing is 3-4 weeks for test pressing to be ready to ship from when lacquers and paper work is received.  Once test pressings and art files are approved, and order is FULLY WORKABLE we are looking at 16-18 weeks for final order to be ready to ship."

It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of the beast.  Every manufacturer in the U.S. is inundated with new orders.  United and Rainbo are the biggest plants in the country and they're both running presses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  The rise in the popularity of vinyl is awesome, but it also has its downside.  And don't expect it to get better any time soon.  Vinyl manufacturers are using the same equipment they've been using for the past 50-75 years and no one is building new machines.

Honestly, we ran pre-orders really early because the band was going on tour and they wanted to start premiering songs in September.  It wasn't ideal in terms of people having to wait for their records, but it was the best thing for Beach Slang in regards to promoting the tour and the new tracks.  Let's not forget that we released the digital version of Cheap Thrills waaaaay early.  If you pre-ordered the 7-inch, you've probably been spinning the songs for two months. And if you were able to catch the band on tour or see them at FEST, you might have a tour pressing of the record.  All things considered, I think we've done a darn good job accommodating everyone given the circumstances.

And xmarcusnapple - not sure what's going on with that.  Maybe Will missed the email?  I'll see if I can dig it up but feel free to email again.  I don't know a label in the world that doesn't love getting messages about adding records to an order!

But enough of this longwinded post.  I'm happy to report that yesterday we were charged the balance of the Beach Slang order, which means that Rainbo probably shipped everything out as well.  I haven't gotten the tracking info yet but I expect records to arrive at the end of this coming week.  There's a lot of orders to pack up obviously, but who knows ... maybe (MAYBE!) some of you will have your 7-inches by Christmas!

Oh, to homeboy who cancelled his order (and probably got the free download), way to stick it to "the man."  You are obviously a super important person and you sure did teach us a tough lesson about making you wait. Message received!

Holy Moses ... I was tempted to not post in this thread, just so I could enjoy the increasing levels of conjecture-based hilarity!

As some have pointed out, we made the announcement on October 15th that the Beach Slang and Places To Hide 7-inches were delayed.  You can see the Facebook and Twitter links below.  It has been posted at the top of the Tiny Engines website since that time as well.

We've been pretty transparent about the matter.  If you've sent us an email asking about your order, there's a good chance we haven't responded because we're two dudes who are doing the work of what should probably be 5 or 6 dudes ... not to mention the fact that we've already addressed the issue via our website and social media.

https://www.facebook.com/tinyengines/posts/10152769934104726

https://twitter.com/tinyengines/status/522482485574516737

As for why the records been delayed?  Vinyl is simply taking that much longer to manufacture.  This summer we were looking at 12 week turnaround times, give-or-take.  In mid-September we received an email from Rainbo that stated the following:

"PLEASE NOTE: Rainbo Records ETA right now on Vinyl Pressing is 3-4 weeks for test pressing to be ready to ship from when lacquers and paper work is received.  Once test pressings and art files are approved, and order is FULLY WORKABLE we are looking at 16-18 weeks for final order to be ready to ship."

It's unfortunate, but that's the nature of the beast.  Every manufacturer in the U.S. is inundated with new orders.  United and Rainbo are the biggest plants in the country and they're both running presses 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  The rise in the popularity of vinyl is awesome, but it also has its downside.  And don't expect it to get better any time soon.  Vinyl manufacturers are using the same equipment they've been using for the past 50-75 years and no one is building new machines.

Honestly, we ran pre-orders really early because the band was going on tour and they wanted to start premiering songs in September.  It wasn't ideal in terms of people having to wait for their records, but it was the best thing for Beach Slang in regards to promoting the tour and the new tracks.  Let's not forget that we released the digital version of Cheap Thrills waaaaay early.  If you pre-ordered the 7-inch, you've probably been spinning the songs for two months. And if you were able to catch the band on tour or see them at FEST, you might have a tour pressing of the record.  All things considered, I think we've done a darn good job accommodating everyone given the circumstances.

And xmarcusnapple - not sure what's going on with that.  Maybe Will missed the email?  I'll see if I can dig it up but feel free to email again.  I don't know a label in the world that doesn't love getting messages about adding records to an order!

But enough of this longwinded post.  I'm happy to report that yesterday we were charged the balance of the Beach Slang order, which means that Rainbo probably shipped everything out as well.  I haven't gotten the tracking info yet but I expect records to arrive at the end of this coming week.  There's a lot of orders to pack up obviously, but who knows ... maybe (MAYBE!) some of you will have your 7-inches by Christmas!

Oh, to homeboy who cancelled his order (and probably got the free download), way to stick it to "the man."  You are obviously a super important person and you sure did teach us a tough lesson about making you wait. Message received!

Yeah I just figured it got buried with all the emails yall are getting about this, so I didn't think much of it. I'll probably send another one, thanks!

Yeah, a quick trip to the first page will tell you this was originally scheduled for an October release. It's a pretty good delay.

Come on... I expect this from the new kids, but not you. I was talking about the delay. I was wrong. It was November / December, not January. Oops.

Sorry if that came off as butthurt or snotty. I'm just saying that both sides have a point. Yes, it has been a while, but these things happen with plant delays especially nowadays and it's to be expected.

That being said, I think this had been an altogether positive thread aside from one dude who canceled his order anyways. I just wonder with these substatial plant delays only getting longer and longer until the bubble bursts, at what point to pre-orders become to risky to back? These are reliable labels that have been doing this for a long time so maybe this isn't the thread to discuss it, but delays like these are going to become more and more the norm.

I still remember clipping order forms and sending cash to SST so maybe I came up waiting for records, but folks that aren't used to it are going to get frustrated quickly.

Sorry if that came off as butthurt or snotty. I'm just saying that both sides have a point. Yes, it has been a while, but these things happen with plant delays especially nowadays and it's to be expected.

That being said, I think this had been an altogether positive thread aside from one dude who canceled his order anyways. I just wonder with these substatial plant delays only getting longer and longer until the bubble bursts, at what point to pre-orders become to risky to back? These are reliable labels that have been doing this for a long time so maybe this isn't the thread to discuss it, but delays like these are going to become more and more the norm.

I still remember clipping order forms and sending cash to SST so maybe I came up waiting for records, but folks that aren't used to it are going to get frustrated quickly.

Right. Like I was saying, this isn't an overwhelmingly long delay. And Tiny Engines is always good about keeping us posted. Everyone needs to relax.

That being said, demand for production is up. Anyone wanna go in on opening a plant?

test presses that probably weren't perfect

No, we just pressed a bunch of extra test pressings. They were all perfect, insomuch as vinyl can be "perfect."

It's a relatively common thing ... although most plants don't really love when labels do it, which is why they charge a lot more.  I'm looking at the Beach Slang invoice right now and it would appear that we paid almost $2.50 per test press.  For comparison sake, the regular black vinyl was .52 cents and the colored variants were .92.

And yes, records are finally shipping.  If you ordered the package deal or you were one of the first 45 kids to order a single record, you'll be getting an awesome bonus for the inserts!

No, we just pressed a bunch of extra test pressings. They were all perfect, insomuch as vinyl can be "perfect."

It's a relatively common thing ... although most plants don't really love when labels do it, which is why they charge a lot more. I'm looking at the Beach Slang invoice right now and it would appear that we paid almost $2.50 per test press. For comparison sake, the regular black vinyl was .52 cents and the colored variants were .92.

And yes, records are finally shipping. If you ordered the package deal or you were one of the first 45 kids to order a single record, you'll be getting an awesome bonus for the inserts!

I ordered pretty quickly as I do with all TE releases, crossing my fingers!