Ferguson, and other issues

I think Melt is arguing a different point than any of the rest of us... We're not trying to take away anyone's right to fly the flag. You want it on your personal property, by all means, fly that thang. I don't even care if you're flying it because you're a biggot or not. It's your right as a citizen of the U.S. to fly that baby loud and proud. I mean, he'll, If someone wants a bumper sticker that says "fuck all n*ggers" go for it. I don't agree with it, and they will almost definitely get the shit kicked out of them at some point, but it's their right.

On property owned by the government, this flag shouldn't be flown, though. We should mourn the tragic loss of human life in the Civil War on both sides just like any other war, but flying a flag that to many represents oppression on state property is wrong.

I think Melt is arguing a different point than any of the rest of us... We're not trying to take away anyone's right to fly the flag. You want it on your personal property, by all means, fly that thang. I don't even care if you're flying it because you're a biggot or not. It's your right as a citizen of the U.S. to fly that baby loud and proud. I mean, he'll, If someone wants a bumper sticker that says "fuck all n*ggers" go for it. I don't agree with it, and they will almost definitely get the shit kicked out of them at some point, but it's their right.

On property owned by the government, this flag shouldn't be flown, though. We should mourn the tragic loss of human life in the Civil War on both sides just like any other war, but flying a flag that to many represents oppression on state property is wrong.

I can get behind this 100%.

And if I saw someone with a bumper sticker like you said, I'd try and run them off the road.... :D

The flag does not only symbolize oppression, it is a traitor symbol in a sense. The confederacy tried to effectively over-through the government at the time. I'm pretty sure those are traitorous actions, so anyone flying that flag agrees and stands with the traitors. IMO anyway.

The flag does not only symbolize oppression, it is a traitor symbol in a sense. The confederacy tried to effectively over-through the government at the time. I'm pretty sure those are traitorous actions, so anyone flying that flag agrees and stands with the traitors. IMO anyway.

That too.

Very true, but we won that war, so it is our right to fly the flag. Generally in history, the loser does not get to fly their flag because it is taken as a sign of opposition. How can a government building fly a symbol like that?

Very true, but we won that war, so it is our right to fly the flag. Generally in history, the loser does not get to fly their flag because it is taken as a sign of opposition. How can a government building fly a symbol like that?

i think it goes to show how deeply rooted racial issues are in the US. i'm trying to fact check, but i read today that the confederate flag didn't even go up in south carolina until 1961 and was a backlash response to the civil rights movement.

Counterpoint; the south had representation in the U.S. government, whereas the colonies did not have representation in Britain.

well... pizza.

The historical record of states rights debates, tariffs, etc belongs in the history books but not the debate in my opinon. I don't know how to justify with facts but it seems like the most conservative federal government that could be put together today would still be 10x bigger per capita than the one back then. I understand it is important to learn from history. I believe that the world has changed so much since then that the arguments are really no longer relevant. We live longer today (more health care). We have gone from soldier/militia heavy defenses to massive armaments, satellites, etc. We have way more regulation of business over the environment, banking, etc. We have social welfare programs. We can communicate across long distances in real time and easily move around the country. You could write comparisons for hours and not scratch the surface.

Who argues about states rights anymore? The Federal Government has strongly asserted its role over the states and despite mistakes, overspending, etc., we all live in a better place because of its existence. The states rights debate seems to only really be relevant in hotbutton issues like gay marriage and marijuana legalization. The rest of the time it is just used in rhetoric over spending and taxes.