VINYL NOOB HAS A QUESTION

Noob collector here. I am quickly falling for records and am caught up in original pressings. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to figure out if a record is original? I've been using Discogs and seemed to be working rather well until I was looking for an original pressing of King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King album and the website is telling me that a pressing from 78 is original? Am i missing what an original pressing is or is this a error from the website

thanks!

There is a boatload of versions of the LP on Discogs. I wouldn't necessarily assume any seller on Discogs has the correct copy listed for sale unless they specify an original pressing. Even in that case, I'd inquire further if the first press is rare.

Often there is an identifying factor like matrix codes or like label color. You might have to do a little digging to find out how to identify a first press of some stuff. Popsike.com says the original UK pressing has pink center labels if that helps. 

In the Court of... is a peculiar one.  There are so many variations and other factors (pressing plants, vinyl quality)  Most swear by the pink labeled Island issues, and even with that there is a fantastic, and not quite as good version.   The early Atlantic (U.S.) Issues I find a little shrill, I believe they were from tape dubbs.   I went through a ocuple copies and ended up sticking with this one: http://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-In-The-Court-Of-The-Crimson-King-An-Observation-By-King-Crimson/release/4903298

If you notice the matrix code listed it ends with SP.  Well I read a couple accounts on another forum of some people exalting this as the best U.S. pressing and after hearing it, I can believe it.  I still have not heard a pink Island label UK issue, but this one is certainly better than some of the earlier U.S. issues I have heard.  Perhaps it had a better source or maybe being years newer, they tend to have been played less.  I just know that I no longer need to spend money on this album.

cheers,

Discogs is decent but not the be all end all source for information.  For things with lots of pressings, it can be hard to wade through all the pressing listings in Discogs because they aren't listed in order.  Google can be useful and even ebay.  If you do enough checking around, you will start figuring out what labels and matrix numbers to look for.  If I'm going after a 1st pressing of ITCOTCK, I'm checking lots of sources to make sure I know what's what because that one isn't coming cheap.

Try this thread for some useful information:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/which-king-crimson-itcotck-island-uk-matrices-are-from-the-master-tapes.190080/

FYI, as you probably are realizing, being a 1st pressing collector can get very expensive very quickly.

I'm a Crimson geek and have around 10 different versions of 'In The Court'. If you want some great sounding versions that don't cost a lot, then you should spring for the black label 'Editions EG' versions from the 80's.

http://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-In-The-Court-Of-The-Crimson-King/release/2254620

I have multiple versions of all the Crimson records and those 'Editions EG' versions are great. 

You'll have to have deep pockets If you really want to go for original first pressings. 

I'm a Crimson geek and have around 10 different versions of 'In The Court'. If you want some great sounding versions that don't cost a lot, then you should spring for the black label 'Editions EG' versions from the 80's.

http://www.discogs.com/King-Crimson-In-The-Court-Of-The-Crimson-King/release/2254620

I have multiple versions of all the Crimson records and those 'Editions EG' versions are great. 

You'll have to have deep pockets If you really want to go for original first pressings. 

Do you have the First UK press? I've got a US copy, but would love to get a UK Island press.

Discogs is decent but not the be all end all source for information.  For things with lots of pressings, it can be hard to wade through all the pressing listings in Discogs because they aren't listed in order.  Google can be useful and even ebay.  If you do enough checking around, you will start figuring out what labels and matrix numbers to look for.  If I'm going after a 1st pressing of ITCOTCK, I'm checking lots of sources to make sure I know what's what because that one isn't coming cheap.

Try this thread for some useful information:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/which-king-crimson-itcotck-island-uk-matrices-are-from-the-master-tapes.190080/

FYI, as you probably are realizing, being a 1st pressing collector can get very expensive very quickly.

That is a great thread. I thought I was a Crimson head.  I feel so normal now I'm giddy :D  What a bunch of intense, super geeks, I love it!

I have owned and heard others' early US press, but never heard the Pink labels or UK / Islands, let alone on a 100,000K set up LOL!

Per 'nothingnatural'  I also like the EG editions from the early 80's. Those EG editions were how I got to hear some KC albums for the first time (I was just out of high school then).  Before the EG's, I found an abandoned, misfiled, dusty, sealed original In The Wake Of Poseidon in an old strip mall record store that was closing up shop in 1979-80 in Richmond. Probably the most giddy I've ever been finding a record.