Taylor Swift - 1989 2xLP

You listed Radiohead as your #1 album in the top 10 thread. You have zero room to hate on T Swift.

I did not realize that saying a thread might be a joke constituted hate speech. But that's cool if you want to make opinions for me.

Yes, I do love Radiohead. No, I don't like Taylor Swift (although I do respect her as a marketing machine). I do not think Taylor Swift is terrible. And I would also venture as far as to say that anyone who thinks that one of the most critically acclaimed bands ever is terrible should not express public opinions about music. But I think you were just letting your emotions get the best of you because you thought I was hating on the mighty T Swift.

I did not realize that saying a thread might be a joke constituted hate speech. But that's cool if you want to make opinions for me.

Yes, I do love Radiohead. No, I don't like Taylor Swift (although I do respect her as a marketing machine). I do not think Taylor Swift is terrible. And I would also venture as far as to say that anyone who thinks that one of the most critically acclaimed bands ever is terrible should not express public opinions about music. But I think you were just letting your emotions get the best of you because you thought I was hating on the mighty T Swift.

You know what's the best part of this? I don't even like T Swift. I never put out "hate speech" and also, my musical opinions are mostly disagreed with anyways.

What I don't get most often 'round here is why people seem to dip in and comment in threads that have no bearing in their music/band/artist tastes. Regardless of the contents of the comment and how they may have been misconstrued, if you don't like Taylor Swift or her music, why come in and comment in the thread?

IT. DOESN'T. MAKE. SENSE.

chewbacca_defense.jpg

What I don't get most often 'round here is why people seem to dip in and comment in threads that have no bearing in their music/band/artist tastes. Regardless of the contents of the comment and how they may have been misconstrued, if you don't like Taylor Swift or her music, why come in and comment in the thread?

chewbacca_defense.jpg

Exactly! There are loads of PO's on the main page which I have no interest in. I've never gone into a thread just for the sole purpose to say I didn't like an artist. Seems like too much effort for nothing.

^^^ that happens with a bunch of threads though, not just this one? Definitely seen it in other threads here and elsewhere, it's just the nature of internet message boards.

Also when you see hulking huge threads that are have page counts in the 20s or 30s (especially when something that's of interest to you only is still only happening in a thread thats only a couple of pages long), it's interesting to come in and see what's made up the huge discussion.

Anyway, does it have to be that the thread is a special "internet safe place" where people can only fall over each other to say how amazing the artist is? What happened to critical reaction?

^^^ that happens with a bunch of threads though, not just this one? Definitely seen it in other threads here and elsewhere, it's just the nature of internet message boards.

Also when you see hulking huge threads that are have page counts in the 20s or 30s (especially when something that's of interest to you only is still only happening in a thread thats only a couple of pages long), it's interesting to come in and see what's made up the huge discussion.

Anyway, does it have to be that the thread is a special "internet safe place" where people can only fall over each other to say how amazing the artist is? What happened to critical reaction?

Very true. It happens in all threads and it works fine if someone comes in saying something productive like how their music style has changed or their new song is a complete rip off of someone else etc. But when it's just stuff like

I can't help but think this whole thread is a joke.

It's not exactly productive and clearly was just said to get a rise out of the fans in the thread. If I came to a heavy metal thread and said that I'm sure I'd get similar abuse back about my music taste and deservedly so. 

To think that each and every thread is that "internet safe place" as you put it and should only be made of positive & "lovefest" posts is very naive. I agree with that 100%.

BUT.

I've always been of the mentality and attitude that if an artist or band or record doesn't appeal to me and hence I'm not a fan of and don't like it, then it'd be a waste of my time and emotion to criticize it and/or make fun or hate on it. If I don't like it, I ignore it and become indifferent towards it because if that's the case, then it has no bearing or importance of my music tastes and life. Move on.

And then maybe it's naive and innocent of me to expect other people to also think that way and be more mature about things.

I just don't see the point of spending time hating on bands. You're spending time getting angry about shit when you could be spending time doing or thinking about things you like.

Expressing actual criticism in an ongoing discussion is one thing. Jumping into the middle of something and saying "this is stupid," that's just a waste of everyone's time.

To think that each and every thread is that "internet safe place" as you put it and should only be made of positive & "lovefest" posts is very naive. I agree with that 100%.

BUT.

I've always been of the mentality and attitude that if an artist or band or record doesn't appeal to me and hence I'm not a fan of and don't like it, then it'd be a waste of my time and emotion to criticize it and/or make fun or hate on it. If I don't like it, I ignore it and become indifferent towards it because if that's the case, then it has no bearing or importance of my music tastes and life. Move on.

And then maybe it's naive and innocent of me to expect other people to also think that way and be more mature about things.

Sorry to go off topic (kinda) again but this is interesting. I am more or less of the same mentality of "if it doesn't impact on me, it shouldn't bother me." with maybe about 90% of music, especially pop music, but when a band/artist appears that is/are fundamentally opposed to my idea of what "good music" is, then I see that as a reason to consider their output and criticise them. I'm not using Taylor Swift as an example here as I think it's pretty clear what her aim is with music and, well, more luck to her I guess. Pop music's pop music and that's that.

But when some tuffguy genericore (thanks whoever invented that) shit band come along with the claim that they are trying to change music or whatever whilst languishing on an affluent record label releasing overproduced garbage, then I see that as a reason to criticise them. Especially so if this band has a moderate-to-high level of popularity, or sales or whatever.

Sorry to derail.

chewbacca_defense.jpg

It's funny cause I have seen you go in threads before and just talk shit on the band, but somebody better not do it to a band/artist you like.

I personally think Radiohead are terrible and most of their fans suck too. It's all opinions anyways.

Your top white whales contained The Format and ICP/House of Krazees tapes. I'm not sure what you are getting at here.