Brand New - Daisy LP green vinyl Hot Topic exclusive

travis

Why, thank you! I'm just trying to straighten out what seems to be a non-issue in this particular case. I'm always skeptical about people who complain about a record skipping on them. For one, you have to be sure you've properly set the Tonearm weight to the specifications of your specific cartridge, you have to own a cartridge with a good tracking capability, you have to properly set your Anti-Skate, and you have to make sure your turntable is level.

The problem with opinions on pressing quality, especially on a pressing from a store such as Hot Topic means that you're going to have a lot of kids buying these and complaining about them who have not taken the aforementioned precautions. Most of them are playing their records on an all in one player like a Crosley or an Ion, which is even worse, because not only are the settings most likely sub par, but these players don't even have the ability to adjust the cartridge weight, and don't include an anti skate feature. I've seen a kid playing his records on his suitcase player with the tinny speakers, and the turntable was, I shit you not, sitting on their bed. I'm not saying this is the case with the people in this thread, but I will say that I have never, not once, experienced a record skipping on a new record. Inferior sound quality, sure. Not skipping though. And in regards to pops and clicks, there are even more factors. Did you brush your record before playing it? Do you clean your stylus before each play? Have you ever done either of these things at all? Records are definitely the least convenient way to listen to music, so a shit ton of care needs to be taken to maximize their potential.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I also know that when I read comments from people who say something sounds fine, the same caution should apply as it should for reports of any problems - what sounds fine to one person may be completely unacceptable to another. One of those kids with crosley a might hear an absence of surface noise and deduce it's fine, probably couldn't tell the difference between a FMWB reissue and the same recording from a company like MoFi. They simply don't know what to listen for, don't understand the intricacies of vinyl playback, and their equipment cannot reproduce it properly.

Just like that type of gear can create problems that aren't really in the groove, they can do just as well at masking ones that are.

Here's a fine and somewhat related example - 2011 Your Favorite Weapon 10th anniversary reissue. "Sounds fine" according to the innernette, but it's one of the worst sounding records I own. The mastering is to blame. It collects dust on a shelf now. It's very suitable for framing and tumblr pictures like many other fans of this band do with their "vinylss", but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a pleasant listening experience. The CD unfortunately sounds much, much better in that case.

I've owned the standard press of Daisy for years. Aside from some minor pressing issues (off-center on side 1) it is one of the best sounding newer records I own. Definitely better than it's digital counterpart. I can tell the master was done with care. I realize Hot Topic isn't MoFi, but they are THE sole retailer of this product. Just because they arent producing high end product does not excuse them from responsibility for their product. I don't expect them to list matrix numbers on their webpage, or even an engineer/studio, but a little more info than "green vinyl" would be preferable. The vague wording on the page gave the implication that, aside from the color of the plastic, it would be otherwise identical to the 2009 release, and that, it is not.

Universal Special Markets has handled the mastering and pressing of all the exclusives they distribute to Hot Topic, and they have a horrible track record. They're not MoFi either, but they're part of a major record company for fucks sake, they should have some standards. A lot of their product has been really, really bad. They've lost my trust. I do not have faith that they do anything other than churn out 12" CDs. As I said earlier, if I was made aware this was recut, I would never have taken a $23 gamble on it. I would have chosen to stick with what I know and like. This is the decision I have made now, but unfortunately I was provided with the information that would allow me to make that decision as a consumer just a bit too late.

I. just. don't. want. it. There's also damage to the jacket on the record I received, if you think that's a more suitable reason to return it, knock yourself out and pretend that's why I don't want it. I still don't understand how it bothers some people that somewhere out there, someone they don't know doesn't want a record that was not advertised as being recut, but whatever.

Hot Topic customer service

United States: 1.800.892.8674.

Travis, I know none of this is your fault and I apologize that this blew up on your thread. I really appreciate all your help with this, and also that you work really hard to try and land good exclusives, which I love when they are done well, but that ball is in the labels' court of course. I submitted a return request to the email printed on the back of the receipt (my voice is a little FUBAR at the moment otherwise the phone line would be preferable) but if I don't hear anything from that method and I still can't call, I'll be sure to shoot a PM your way.

Thanks again.

I completely understand where you're coming from. I also know that when I read comments from people who say something sounds fine, the same caution should apply as it should for reports of any problems - what sounds fine to one person may be completely unacceptable to another. One of those kids with crosley a might hear an absence of surface noise and deduce it's fine, probably couldn't tell the difference between a FMWB reissue and the same recording from a company like MoFi. They simply don't know what to listen for, don't understand the intricacies of vinyl playback, and their equipment cannot reproduce it properly.

Just like that type of gear can create problems that aren't really in the groove, they can do just as well at masking ones that are.

Here's a fine and somewhat related example - 2011 Your Favorite Weapon 10th anniversary reissue. "Sounds fine" according to the innernette, but it's one of the worst sounding records I own. The mastering is to blame. It collects dust on a shelf now. It's very suitable for framing and tumblr pictures like many other fans of this band do with their "vinylss", but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a pleasant listening experience. The CD unfortunately sounds much, much better in that case.

I've owned the standard press of Daisy for years. Aside from some minor pressing issues (off-center on side 1) it is one of the best sounding newer records I own. Definitely better than it's digital counterpart. I can tell the master was done with care. I realize Hot Topic isn't MoFi, but they are THE sole retailer of this product. Just because they arent producing high end product does not excuse them from responsibility for their product. I don't expect them to list matrix numbers on their webpage, or even an engineer/studio, but a little more info than "green vinyl" would be preferable. The vague wording on the page gave the implication that, aside from the color of the plastic, it would be otherwise identical to the 2009 release, and that, it is not.

Universal Special Markets has handled the mastering and pressing of all the exclusives they distribute to Hot Topic, and they have a horrible track record. They're not MoFi either, but they're part of a major record company for fucks sake, they should have some standards. A lot of their product has been really, really bad. They've lost my trust. I do not have faith that they do anything other than churn out 12" CDs. As I said earlier, if I was made aware this was recut, I would never have taken a $23 gamble on it. I would have chosen to stick with what I know and like. This is the decision I have made now, but unfortunately I was provided with the information that would allow me to make that decision as a consumer just a bit too late.

I. just. don't. want. it. There's also damage to the jacket on the record I received, if you think that's a more suitable reason to return it, knock yourself out and pretend that's why I don't want it. I still don't understand how it bothers some people that somewhere out there, someone they don't know doesn't want a record that was not advertised as being recut, but whatever.

You can rant all you want, but it still sounds good on my high quality, non-Crosley setup.

Furthermore, instead of returning it give the record a good home and sell it to someone for cost on the boards. There are still fans here looking for a copy.

You can rant all you want, but it still sounds good on my high quality, non-Crosley setup.

Furthermore, instead of returning it give the record a good home and sell it to someone for cost on the boards. There are still fans here looking for a copy.

I'm not even going to continue this, if you do not get the point by now then I'm afraid there is no explaining it. I'm sure there's a good chance it sounds fine (contrary to the reports I've read which said it didn't). But its not what I wanted and not what was implied was being offered. If anyone wants to pay me to a/b the two myself, be my guest. Who knows, maybe I'll like it afterall and I'll keep it. But otherwise, I'm not opening it.

And of course, if anyone wants it at cost, feel free to PM me as well. I doubt it'll go back up on their website just because they got one copy back, so yes, this might be a good chance to get one at a good price.

I'm not even going to continue this, if you do not get the point by now then I'm afraid there is no explaining it. I'm sure there's a good chance it sounds fine (contrary to the reports I've read which said it didn't). But its not what I wanted and not what was implied was being offered. If anyone wants to pay me to a/b the two myself, be my guest. Who knows, maybe I'll like it afterall and I'll keep it. But otherwise, I'm not opening it.

And of course, if anyone wants it at cost, feel free to PM me as well. I doubt it'll go back up on their website just because they got one copy back, so yes, this might be a good chance to get one at a good price.

So wait....pages of trash-talking this release and you haven't even listened to it yet? Um...

Hahahahaha. This gave me a solid chuckle.

PM'd

All vinyl at Hot Topic (including clearance vinyl) will be 15% off starting tomorrow (1/8/15) through Sunday (1/11/15). This is in stores and online.

Thanks for the heads up

All vinyl at Hot Topic (including clearance vinyl) will be 15% off starting tomorrow (1/8/15) through Sunday (1/11/15). This is in stores and online.

That's amaze. I love cheaper vinyl. Do you guys have anything fun coming into stores in that timeframe? (also, I'm drunk so forgive me tomorrow)

The new Manson LP was pressed using the actual home plate from Game 6 of the 1976 World Series.

I read that the Manson LP was pressed using the actual home plate from Game 6 of the 1976 World Series.

It's all over the Internet. At least two times, it's been said thy using the Manson LP was pressed using the actual home plate from Game 6 of the 1976 World Series.

HT is my all time favorite purveyor of baseball memorabilia themed vinyl pressing processes. It's been said that the Manson LP was pressed using the actual home plate from Game 6 of the 1976 World Series at least 4 times, all over, and if you can't understand that I'm outta here. Sheesh.

Clearance vinyl isn't getting the discount online. It's sticking with the BOGO $1, for those that qualify, for other ones (like Walking Dead) its just the original discounted price ($19.99)