So this Sony hack thing...

I don't know where I saw it but someone posted something like "what would America's reaction be to North Korean's making a movie about killing the US president." 

based on how secretive their country is i wouldn't be surprised if there is a movie about that already and we will never find out.

I was planning on seeing the interview on Christmas day. not even because of the controversy, but because of my love for seth rogen and franco and my general love for comedy movies. I do hope itll be released in theatres in 2015 though. one of my favorite things in this world is watching comedies at the movies

How could they not "pull the release" when pretty much every major movie chain was refusing to show the movie? Even though the threats to attack movie theaters are probably just a bluff, who wants to take the risk? People weren't going to feel safe seeing any movie playing in the same building as that one. It could've crippled the entire industry.

Exactly. Standing up for free speech is important and making back the $100 million is important (to Sony at least), but if even 1 person got killed because of it then it's not fucking worth it.

Would whoever is behind this have really acted on the threats of attacking movie theaters who showed it? I don't know, probably not. At least not all of them, but any of them isn't worth it. It's like when bomb threats got called in randomly at my high school growing up. Was there actually a bomb in the school? Never, but that doesn't mean it wasn't taken seriously each and every time it happened, just in case.

And like has been mentioned the movie will be released one way or another eventually. But right now, or even soon, it just isn't the right time.

The 'what if they made a movie about killing Obama' argument is all over the internet, and is entirely irrelevant. Obama (arguments aside) is a REASONABLE FUCKING PERSON.

A proper comparison would be closer to; What if someone released a movie during the cold war that made fun of and involved killing Castro?

It's just stupid. Buddy is still alive, is fucking crazy, and has fucking nukes at his disposal. You think he might be a little upset and MAYBE react a little irrationally? And yeah, it's an american movie, but it's a Japanese company, who they are not on good terms with already. It is perfectly reasonable that they pulled the release. They never should have made the fucking movie in the first place.

Thread/

1. Franco & Rogen get a lifetime pass in my book just for Freaks & Geeks alone. A lot of their other stuff is pretty good as well. Given the nostalgia/"guilty pleasure but I don't feel guilty"-based musical tastes of 80% of this board, one would think more of you would be willing to say "hey, you know what - not for me" rather than put quotes around the word movie like a 14 year old.

2. Charlie Chaplin - The Great Dictator (1940)

1. Franco & Rogen get a lifetime pass in my book just for Freaks & Geeks alone. A lot of their other stuff is pretty good as well. Given the nostalgia/"guilty pleasure but I don't feel guilty"-based musical tastes of 80% of this board, one would think more of you would be willing to say "hey, you know what - not for me" rather than put quotes around the word movie like a 14 year old.

Freaks and Geeks ain't no fuckin' Wonder Years.

Now if Fred Savage did a movie like this..

I don't know that that is a fair or relevant point.

It's one thing to call out a Hitler when the WORLD (yeah yeah) is already at war against him.  No one is at war with NK (should they be? not over a stupid movie anyway).

If Charlie Chaplin had tried to make that movie before anyone had declared war it wouldn't have been made.

Sony is already boned.  They lost a bunch of data and there's no fixing that.

I get that theaters don't want anything to do with screening 'the Interview'.

it's probably terrible anyway.

The only respectable response from Sony at this point would be to fly their middle finger and release it for free online.

The US wasn't at war with anybody in 1940. It's not a 1:1 analogy obviously, but let's not pretend that there are no precedents for comedians mocking world leaders.

Chaplin was actually boned by the studio, they pulled funding because they were scared and he put the movie out with his own money himself.

I think what seems to be being missed by a lot of these posts is that shitty movie or not what if Kim Jong hates, say, Star Wars? Will you be outraged then? It has already set a dangerous precedent that has huge effects. First The Interview, then a film in production and now Alamo Drafthouse can't show Team America. Either it's all okay or none of it is okay, and vague threats by a nation that has never attacked us is a piss poor excuse to live in fear. 

Chaplin was actually boned by the studio, they pulled funding because they were scared and he put the movie out with his own money himself.

I think what seems to be being missed by a lot of these posts is that shitty movie or not what if Kim Jong hates, say, Star Wars? Will you be outraged then? It has already set a dangerous precedent that has huge effects. First The Interview, then a film in production and now Alamo Drafthouse can't show Team America. Either it's all okay or none of it is okay, and vague threats by a nation that has never attacked us is a piss poor excuse to live in fear.

I've never seen Star Wars but I'm going to assume that they're not going to make an Episode 12 Attack of the Kim. This movie's driving plot was about his attempted assassination, if NK did this shit to the release of Frozen 2 I'm sure the entire US would laugh it off.

More importantly Sony shot themselves in the foot by leaving all this data out in the open, it seems like the attack wasn't done with brute force. You'd think a billion dollar company who dabbles in tech would be smarter about their correspondences and not keep shit like that sitting in an inbox or document folder.

I've never seen Star Wars but I'm going to assume that they're not going to make an Episode 12 Attack of the Kim. This movie's driving plot was about his attempted assassination, if NK did this shit to the release of Frozen 2 I'm sure the entire US would laugh it off.

More importantly Sony shot themselves in the foot by leaving all this data out in the open, it seems like the attack wasn't done with brute force. You'd think a billion dollar company who dabbles in tech would be smarter about their correspondences and not keep shit like that sitting in an inbox or document folder.

I dont think it has to be NK to threaten though. Someone doesnt want to see TMNT part 2 come out so they hack into whatever movie does it, threatens to shoot a bunch of people at the theater. This has copycatting written all over it.

I dont think it has to be NK to threaten though. Someone doesnt want to see TMNT part 2 come out so they hack into whatever movie does it, threatens to shoot a bunch of people at the theater. This has copycatting written all over it.

Like another nation? I could see fear mongering happening in that case. If it were a US resident they'd get Party V& that same day. Shit, people get each other raided by the FBI over Xbox Live altercations. If there's one this this country excels at it's policing the shit out of their citizens mercilessly.

KJU has done well in the realm of fear. Instead of a movie coming out about his assassination he now, instead, gets to be talked about a whole shit ton on national TV being called a goon, pathetic, childish and whatever else he's been called that I haven't seen. Way to save face bro! 

We need 'the gang' to step in here:

http://youtu.be/QD0IYeSTi0E