70s prog,psych,hard n' heavy heads here?

Guest Haywood Yablome

Howbout a "F" and two "U"s together? (You dont see that too often.) ------FRUUP------ Irish band made 4 lps. I like their last one, "Modern Masquerades" best. First track on side two illustrates what makes the 70s prog bands stand out from the newer ones - the newer ones don't know or even try to merge the jazzy with the prog.

Nice recovery!

Guest Haywood Yablome

This guy has a fun energy about him. I want to hear more about loner amputee records of the midwest 70s/80s.

Not my area of concern. (Go to aforementioned Waxidermy site.)

I am a bona fide self-proclaimed Prog Masterman. Being such necessitates nigh equally deep knowledge of the ancillary genres which are: fusion,psych,hard,classical,RIO, Berlin school electronics and (mainly Brit) folk/folkrock. I am adept in all these fields.

I know pretty well NOTHING about 99% of the bands mentioned on this forum - except that the hogo emitted is appalling.

"Pompeii" was a bit of a letdown for me. --------------- "Illusions On A Double Dimple" is the classic lp. I REALLY do not like using the word "dated" cos most all music is NOT dated, but the lyrics to Dimple are less "dated" than most fantasy,etc-led prog lyrics of this genre at that place in time. Less "dated" cos its theme is of social concern - the bloke unjustly is fired from his job and has anger against society. --------------- Did you know that Jurgen Fritz had a solo lp? (Maybe even two - I forget now.) The one I know is a soundtrack. Not bad. But,curiously-enough, though lotta keys - no real Hammond work! --------------- The drummer - Kollen???- also had a solo. Digg all those blanket muffled drums on Dimple - almost a signature. ------------- The first lp, "Mediterranean Tales" is different from the rest.Mainly instrumental. More The Nice than ELP. I liken it to Le Orme's "Collage" lp (the first Italian prog lp.) I have a German-press trade copy of "Mediterranean Tales" lp in great shape if anyone is interested in trade. "Tales" was never issued on North American press. the other titles were and are all relatively easy to find in used record gaffs.

Oh yes, "Illusions" is awesome. The remastered CD in 2002 is the definitive recording IMO. Those muffled drums sound so much better and Jurgen's keyboards sound crisp and clear. "Tales" was a bit odd for me, couldn't really get into it. I should probably spin it again, it's been about 7 or 8 years since I listened. "Russian Roulette" was so bad it sent me screaming from the room. The cover was interesting though. Helmut Kollen's solo album "You Won't See Me" is a fun one. Shame he passed away so young.

True, this site isn't heavily into prog from what I've seen, but there are lots of bands I have discovered here that have a flavor of Prog in them. From the electronics side, this site has helped expand my love for Com Truise, Steve Hauschildt, Tangerine Dream and lots of artists on the Ghostly International label. From there it opened up a greater love for electronic pop, shoegaze and different types of ambient music. Again, I had exposure to some of this before joining VC, but the folks here have great recommendations and discovering new bands / genres has been cool (and expensive!).

Guest Haywood Yablome

Alcatraz on that particular title is a good one. More fusion than prog. Not that distinctions matter. (I archive my pwog lps together with the fusion.

---------

Regards TD: I'm sure you've read it by now that Edgar Froese just passed away.“There is no death, there is just a change of our cosmic address."

Hey, OP, you should have just started a psych and prog appreciation thread like we have for jazz and soul/funk/blues. Most people on the boards don't care about it, but we've got quite a few people who contribute and others see how great the music outside of pop punk is. Instead you acted like a fuckface. But to stay on topic, here's some records I own that would constitute P/P:

45's

Bubble Puppy, The ‎– "Hot Smoke" b/w "Sasafrass" (International Artists IA-128/yellow label) 
Electric Prunes, The - "I Had Too Much To Dream (Last Night) " b/w "Luvin" (Reprise 0532) 
Electric Prunes, The ‎– "Get Me To The World On Time" b/w "Are You Lovin' Me More (But Enjoying It Less)" (Reprise 0564)
Seeds, The ‎– "Can't Seem To Make You Mine" b/w "I Tell Myself" (GNP Crescendo - GNP 354)
Seeds, The ‎– "Pushin' Too Hard" b/w "Try To Understand" (GNP Crescendo GNP 372/blue label)
Thirteenth Floor Elevators, The ‎– "You're Gonna Miss Me" b/w "Tried To Hide" (International Artists 107/yellow & green labels) 

LP's

East Side Kids, The ‎– "The Tiger And The Lamb" (UNI Records ‎– 73032/first pressing)
Freak Scene, The ‎– "Psychedelic Psoul" (Columbia ‎CS 9456/first press/stereo/2 eye label)
King Crimson ‎– "In The Court Of The Crimson King" (Atlantic SD 8245/original press/gatefold)

Soup ‎– "The Album Soup" (Big Tree BTS 2007/first US pressing/promo)
Troyka - "Troyka" (Cotillion SD 9020/first pressing/promo)

Guest Haywood Yablome

I have origional press 13th Floor Elevators first lp - first mention of "psychedelic" on record cover. This alone makes me better than you.

I HAD Plastic Cloud (a thousand dollar lp) in opened shrinkwrap but I traded it to North America's most important dealer/collector.

Freakscene & Troyka are good lps, Jimmeh.

Guest Haywood Yablome

No Jimmeh.

You're not my equal.

I am a Prog Masterman.

Embrace the greater glory of the Mighty Pwog!

Hail to the Power and the Glory!

Guest Haywood Yablome

Norway was and is a cesspool-contagion of rampant metal-dungus.

Norway's enemy , Sweden, was foul with this disease of the milk-brained as well.

But, unlike Norway, to give Sweden credit, it has been pushing out superior prog of late.Acts like Flower Kings, Beardfish (okay, they DID make the rather sharny "Void" cd which had the first half metally),Sagor & Swing, Agusa....many others.

Hail The Power & Glory's Way!

Hail!

Guest Haywood Yablome

Jesus was a gentle giant and look where it got him - crucified; today's Vatican City; world-wide bloodshed in his name.

(Yes its "his" and not "His".)

Guest Haywood Yablome

Nope.

Not happening, Jimmeh.

No motion here in the least on the prog/psych/hard front.

Just goes to prove my point: children's forum.

You shit where you lay.