PO: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress [March 31]

Saw them play last night, they premiered two completely new 15-20min songs, plus 'Mladic' and 'Behemoth' (or the new album). Amazing set. It was the third time seeing them and it doesn't get old at all. Go see them if you can.

What about these new songs ? they look like early godspeed or they're more like "Peasantry or 'Light! Inside of Light!" ??

They have this one on their webstore; is it the same one they have on tour?

https://gybe.store-08.com/new/gybe010004-godspeed-you-black-emperor-unisex-don-t-bend-ascend-t/

It's pretty similar, but not the same. As I said, writing on both sides and god's pee signature, but the drawing stuff could be the same yeah..

Is it just me or, the first song off the new record sounds a lot like later day Earth? It's still good, but it's very very Earth-ish. I'm not dissing them or nothing, and i know that there is no point for them to do F # A infinty over and over, but it felt like they ripped off a page from ol'Dylan's book here......The rest of the record was stellar, the last song, is very good.

• 2 months later...

Sounds rad. I've seen them three times and I enjoyed it even more with each show. Magnificent live band. Did they pull off their projections in the church?

Yeah, I sat next to the dude, buddy was working just as hard as any of the members on the stage.  Four film projectors and probably 200 rolls of film, manually swapping them out and adding practical "special effects" by doing things like holding a glass bowl in front of the projectors at different angles.  I have no idea how he kept everything straight... it was all synced to music.

Yeah, I sat next to the dude, buddy was working just as hard as any of the members on the stage. Four film projectors and probably 200 rolls of film, manually swapping them out and adding practical "special effects" by doing things like holding a glass bowl in front of the projectors at different angles. I have no idea how he kept everything straight... it was all synced to music.

Are you at the drive by jehu/viet cong/television show?

As someone who came to the GY!BE party very late (i.e. when Asunder came out (yes, I am still feeling bad about that)), I was surprised to find that it was actually cheaper to purchase the vinyl version(s) of the album(s) directly from Constellation, with shipping to UK, rather than purchasing from stores over here (with zero / little shipping cost).... Crazy. Also, to improve the deal further, the guys at Constellation put a little handwritten note in with my package, which is always a nice touch.

Not listening to this band until 2015... One of my biggest musical mistakes ever? Quite possibly.

As someone who came to the GY!BE party very late (i.e. when Asunder came out (yes, I am still feeling bad about that)), I was surprised to find that it was actually cheaper to purchase the vinyl version(s) of the album(s) directly from Constellation, with shipping to UK, rather than purchasing from stores over here (with zero / little shipping cost).... Crazy. Also, to improve the deal further, the guys at Constellation put a little handwritten note in with my package, which is always a nice touch.

Not listening to this band until 2015... One of my biggest musical mistakes ever? Quite possibly.

Never too late! As long you discovered them before the apocalypse actually starts, you're good. Wouldn't wanna miss these tunes while watching the world burn. Go see them live!

Like Eliminator said, it's never too late. I didn't fully appreciate them until 2007 or so. I hope you enjoy exploring all the details and nuances of their back catalog. There really is no other band that can compare.

Never too late! As long you discovered them before the apocalypse actually starts, you're good. Wouldn't wanna miss these tunes while watching the world burn. Go see them live!

Like Eliminator said, it's never too late. I didn't fully appreciate them until 2007 or so. I hope you enjoy exploring all the details and nuances of their back catalog. There really is no other band that can compare.

Thanks guys... I now own everything on vinyl, other than Yanqui U.X.O.,mainly because it has very mixed reviews (what do you think of it, out of interest?) - although I will probably get it at a later date, just to keep the OCD part of me happy. I definitely had a real "wow" moment when I played a record of theirs for the first time (A!DB!A!) not too many months ago.

Also, before you even get to the music, I can't think of too many other records that are packaged and put together so well... F#A#∞ is so, so, so nice (oh to own one of the original copies!).

They're playing in London today... Anyone going?

• 4 months later...