PO: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Asunder, Sweet And Other Distress [March 31]

Yanqui is not a bad listen by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm definitely "in the mood" for it every once in a while. But all in all, I think it's my least favorite of their discography. That being said, even the "weakest" GY!BE album is head and shoulders above the majority of post-rock out there. The Motherfucker = Redeemer suite is indeed magnificent.

To me 'Yanqui' has always been their 'epic' so to speak, because 'Skinny Fists' lacks in quality to be. When ranking from good to great, 'Skinny Fists' is at the start of my list. 'Sleep' is definitely among my favorite moments of theirs, but for the rest of the record I find it to be too sketchy and even a little tiresome at many points to be thoroughly enjoyed in its entirety. It still is a good record and I regularly enjoy parts of it (one side at a time), but I enjoy their other albums more when listened to in full. And 'Yanqui' the most.

Skinny Fists is their masterpiece IMHO. What makes it so great is that you get all these different styles/moods/sounds over the course of the album that are all intertwined beautifully into this epic double album. I personally love field recordings, tape loops, found sounds etc. If all they did was rock out, or do the loud/soft thing for two hours that would get tiresome. While I do think Yanqui is a great, (and better than the last two albums) my criticism of it is that it is a bit too lengthy and not that varied. But with that said, it's still a great album.

Yeah, I think I'm with Robes on that one.  Pretty interesting that we have polar opposite opinions on the band, Eliminator – there's not really a single moment of Skinny Fists that I'd cut.  It definitely has that "journey" feeling to it, thanks in large to the variety.  The heights it achieves and the abstract depths that it explores are stellar; even after all these years, I can't get over the bliss that is the 19-minute closer.  That song gives me chills and takes me places.  I'm all for varying opinions, though, so more power to you if Yanqui does the trick.  There is no right and wrong answer to a favorite Godspeed record.

Yeah, I think I'm with Robes on that one.  Pretty interesting that we have polar opposite opinions on the band, Eliminator – there's not really a single moment of Skinny Fists that I'd cut.  It definitely has that "journey" feeling to it, thanks in large to the variety.  The heights it achieves and the abstract depths that it explores are stellar; even after all these years, I can't get over the bliss that is the 19-minute closer.  That song gives me chills and takes me places.  I'm all for varying opinions, though, so more power to you if Yanqui does the trick.  There is no right and wrong answer to a favorite Godspeed record.

It's in fact a pretty favorable observation toward Godspeed. We share a great appreciation of their whole catalog, but favor different characteristics of it. They succeeded in everything they've done thus far.

I still maintain that "Blaise Bailey Finnegan III" is one of the best songs ever made. Haunting and powerful for a full 17 minutes. None of their pre-hiatus full-lengths have too many faults, honestly. Each has their moments. The end of "Storm" is definitely a high point that comes to mind.

I still maintain that "Blaise Bailey Finnegan III" is one of the best songs ever made. Haunting and powerful for a full 17 minutes. None of their pre-hiatus full-lengths have too many faults, honestly. Each has their moments. The end of "Storm" is definitely a high point that comes to mind.

i agree, the music is great but the interview is kinda meh after a few listens