PO: Modest Mouse - Building Nothing Out Of Something/Interstate 8-Live at Sunburst Montana

My clear came pretty banged up and had a puncture in the back of the jacket. Maybe this is a dumb question but are MOV likely to have a replacement jacket or something along those lines? The records themselves are fine so I don't want to put the store I ordered from through any trouble, would just like to own a pristine copy since this is such a nice release (and killer album).

My clear came pretty banged up and had a puncture in the back of the jacket. Maybe this is a dumb question but are MOV likely to have a replacement jacket or something along those lines? The records themselves are fine so I don't want to put the store I ordered from through any trouble, would just like to own a pristine copy since this is such a nice release (and killer album).

I've had good luck contacting labels with this kind of request in the past (though only once or twice, admittedly). Offer to pay for shipping, though they'll probably just send for free if they have extras.

Yeah...I ordered two of the clear copies for the Moon and Antarctica.  One came pristine, the other has tears in the sleeves and the cover.  I'm not a big fan of the MOV packaging.  Sure, they take the records out prior to shipping, which can either help or hurt the package (in my case, hurting), but the cellophane jacket is dangerous.  The sticky part on the cellophane is strong enough to tear the print off the sleeve...which has happened to me more than once.

Just finished side one of my red Building Nothing.. It's barely listenable. There's constant noise and static on both channels plus loud cracks and pops every few seconds. Like, have any of you ever returned home with a used record and when you started spinning you realized that the previous owner played it with one of those wet systems that puts some sort of liquid on the record? Once you go wet you never go back. That's how bad it is. One of the worst sounding records in my entire collection.

Gonna buy a black copy as soon as I get the chance.

Just finished side one of my red Building Nothing.. It's barely listenable. There's constant noise and static on both channels plus loud cracks and pops every few seconds. Like, have any of you ever returned home with a used record and when you started spinning you realized that the previous owner played it with one of those wet systems that puts some sort of liquid on the record? Once you go wet you never go back. That's how bad it is. One of the worst sounding records in my entire collection.

Gonna buy a black copy as soon as I get the chance.

Damn.  Not what I wanted to read, but I appreciate the honesty.  My copy hasn't even shipped yet and I'm already holding my breath that it'll sound acceptable.

yeeesh. That sucks Eliminator. :( I hope whenever I pick up a black copy that isn't an issue. I snagged interstate 8 already and it sounds fine, so BN needs to be fine too! goddamnit

Let us know how the black sounds! There must be at least one good sounding variant of this..

Damn.  Not what I wanted to read, but I appreciate the honesty.  My copy hasn't even shipped yet and I'm already holding my breath that it'll sound acceptable.

I know, huge bummer =( Maybe it's just my copy, I haven't heard about others having that amount of issues with it. Let us know! If other copies turn out to be fine I'll try and seek out another one.

I've posted this on the DLC-thread, maybe people over here will be interested too:

Modest Mouse. Building Nothing Out Of Something

memphisvinyl.com/downloads

N7bEY

OR:

Nybrg

There should be three downloads left for each code. Both expire in 24h.

I bought both Building Nothing and Interstate 8, both DLCs were for Building Nothing. If anyone got his code for Interstate, I'd be really happy to have it. Shoot me a PM! Thanks and enjoy.

You need to type in further information in order to download, shoot me a PM for Name + eMail.

Let us know how the black sounds! There must be at least one good sounding variant of this..

I know, huge bummer =( Maybe it's just my copy, I haven't heard about others having that amount of issues with it. Let us know! If other copies turn out to be fine I'll try and seek out another one.

I've posted this on the DLC-thread, maybe people over here will be interested too:

Modest Mouse. Building Nothing Out Of Something

memphisvinyl.com/downloads

N7bEY

OR:

Nybrg

There should be three downloads left for each code. Both expire in 24h.

I bought both Building Nothing and Interstate 8, both DLCs were for Building Nothing. If anyone got his code for Interstate, I'd be really happy to have it. Shoot me a PM! Thanks and enjoy.

You need to type in further information in order to download, shoot me a PM for Name + eMail.

I've had my black BNOos from this pressing for a while now. Sounds great.

Yeah...I ordered two of the clear copies for the Moon and Antarctica.  One came pristine, the other has tears in the sleeves and the cover.  I'm not a big fan of the MOV packaging.  Sure, they take the records out prior to shipping, which can either help or hurt the package (in my case, hurting), but the cellophane jacket is dangerous.  The sticky part on the cellophane is strong enough to tear the print off the sleeve...which has happened to me more than once.

That just happened to me on the copy of Menomena's Friend or Foe that I ordered on discogs.  Tore up the "exclusive" print that came with the album.

I've had my black BNOos from this pressing for a while now. Sounds great.

Yours might sound great, but I went through two very, very noisy copies before landing a red.  The red is substantially quieter until the very tail end of side B at which point it clicks its way through the final 30 seconds of other people's lives.  Definitely the most trouble I've ever had with an album other than the Fugees' The Score.

In both cases, I gave up on have a "clean" record and decided to just be content owning an all-time favorite on wax though I'm still a bit bitter about the Score since it's not a cheap album. 

Yours might sound great, but I went through two very, very noisy copies before landing a red.  The red is substantially quieter until the very tail end of side B at which point it clicks its way through the final 30 seconds of other people's lives.  Definitely the most trouble I've ever had with an album other than the Fugees' The Score.

In both cases, I gave up on have a "clean" record and decided to just be content owning an all-time favorite on wax though I'm still a bit bitter about the Score since it's not a cheap album. 

Not trying to impugn what you're saying or anything like that...but did you clean the other two you had?

Not trying to impugn what you're saying or anything like that...but did you clean the other two you had?

Indeed.  With my Spin Clean.  The first copy twice.

Haven't had a chance with the red copy yet.  Waiting for a couple of albums to come in the mail so I'm not wasting water/fluid on just one album.

Indeed.  With my Spin Clean.  The first copy twice.

Haven't had a chance with the red copy yet.  Waiting for a couple of albums to come in the mail so I'm not wasting water/fluid on just one album.

Ah. The ole, "move the particulates around to a different spot on the record" clean, you say. ;)

Seriously though, that's a bummer that you've had so much trouble with this record.

I got the colored versions of both BN and I8 today, and after using a Carbon Fiber Record Brush I can hear somewhat of a static thing going on during side 1 of BN. It doesn't overpower the music at all though. I think I can deal with it. So far I'm listening to "A Life Of Arctic Sounds" and side 2 sounds really quiet.