Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs pressings thoughts?

I have a few (Ryan Adams-Love Is Hell, Beck - Sea Change, and Weezer - Blue Album) and they all sound amazing. However, I have read that pre-2000's are hit or miss. If you're in the market for one, and it's a fairly expensive LP, make sure to check the VC or forums.stevehoffman.tv for reviews.

I have a few (Ryan Adams-Love Is Hell, Beck - Sea Change, and Weezer - Blue Album) and they all sound amazing. However, I have read that pre-2000's are hit or miss. If you're in the market for one, and it's a fairly expensive LP, make sure to check the VC or forums.stevehoffman.tv for reviews.

Pre-2000's as in releases from them that came out pre 2000, or when they do re releases of albums before that time period (Like their Judas Priest releases they did a few years ago for example)?

i think they mean pre-2000s MoFi before MusicDirect bought the brand b/c that was a different company essentially

all my pixies MoFi reissues sound pretty good. i didn't have any OGs to compare to though and i'm not sure if i ever compared them to the recent 4AD reissues. i kept the MoFis and got rid of all the 4ADs I had.

cyndi lauper she's so unusual (although, admittedly their "silver label", which they didn't have access to the original master tapes just thier MoFi sound lab process) wasn't any improvement over my 2$ bargain bin copy (which sounds pretty good)

i don't think i have any other MoFi vinyl releaes, just the Surfer Rosa SACD.

Agreed with most of the sentiment here... they are hit and miss for me although many of the recent titles are outstanding. The Miles Davis MFSL reissues are amazing, especially the recent Sorcerer and Nefertiti on 45rpm. The Bob Dylan titles are excellent, although I prefer original pressings for the most part. The Pixies - Doolittle is another good one for sure.

Pressing and packaging quality is almost always excellent.

I think a lot of the presentation resolution of MFSL vinyl pressings is down to the quality and set up of your deck. If your cartridge is not 100% aligned with correct vta etc and is not clean or looked after properly then you are not getting the best out of a MOFI press (for those of even further audiophile curiosity should check Sheffield Lab pressings - direct to disc, they sound immense). Most sound amazingly good with a good set up. My word of advice would be not to sleep on the better albums they press because once they are gone the prices quickly escalate.

My favourite mfsl is frank Sinatra 'live at the sands' superb live recording with Frank in full swing. Was available for $40 before it sold out. Now expect to pay +$200. The Beck sea change press just goes up and up on ebay.

Do not sleep on the forthcoming Miles Davis 'Kind of Blue' press. This will sell out in time and in a year or two will be a most sought after press.

an example perhaps of an MFSL pressing that doesnt live up to the hype.. Nirvanas Nevermind.. it has whatever raw, punky, balls to the walls characteristics stripped out of it, too clean and glossy.  to be honest the current pallas pressed 'bg' master is my fav copy of NEVERMIND and easy to find for under $30.

pinkerton, great!  Sea Change, great! pixes stuf.. pretty good, but has a little life sucked out of it as well.

The beatles MFSL stuff I have sounds great, my only thought is that we are sooooooo accustomed to hearing the Beatles that when they get remastered (drastically) it can throw us off a bit.

oh and Darkside of the Moon MFSL is absolutely amazing, i will never ever ever sell my copy.

How's the Brothers in Arms one?

I was actually looking into that yesterday. The review I found last night said it's excellent. I'm going to end up grabbing it sooner than later so I'll let you know my thoughts whenever I get around to it.

As for MoFi in general, they seem to be hit or miss. I've had more hits than misses though. Someone mentioned the Cyndi Lauper-She's So Unusual Silver Label sounding similar to the original and I'd agree with that. On the other hand, I have the Silver Label pressing of INXS-Kick and it sounds tons better than the OPs to my ears.

I was actually looking into that yesterday. The review I found last night said it's excellent. I'm going to end up grabbing it sooner than later so I'll let you know my thoughts whenever I get around to it.

As for MoFi in general, they seem to be hit or miss. I've had more hits than misses though. Someone mentioned the Cyndi Lauper-She's So Unusual Silver Label sounding similar to the original and I'd agree with that. On the other hand, I have the Silver Label pressing of INXS-Kick and it sounds tons better than the OPs to my ears.

Cool, one of my favorite albums, would like to hear about it.