What was your first record?

I didn't buy my first record until 2010, so I kind of got into the hobby just as vinyl was making a huge comeback. For those of you who collected in the 90's and early 2000's, how would you compare it to collecting today? It might sound like a stupid question, but there was obviously hardly a demand for vinyl during those years, and now with the resurgence we're seeing $25 single LP's, and thousands of poop punk teens hanging multicolored glow in the dark splatter records on their wall and all over social media. It seems like in those years, it was less about it being a statement to others about yourself, and way more just because you wanted the music on a certain format.

Also, how did CD prices compare to LP prices then?

Expensive records existed but they were mainly original presses from the early 80's. New records were cheap and a lot of places didn't do a thousand special presses for each release. I remember buying new 7"'s at Newbury Comics for $2.99.

Expensive records existed but they were mainly original presses from the early 80's. New records were cheap and a lot of places didn't do a thousand special presses for each release. I remember buying new 7"'s at Newbury Comics for $2.99.

Or you had to put a hand-written note and a five dollar bill in a plain white envelope and hunt around for a stamp before you waited 3 to 4 weeks for it to show up in your mailbox...typically along with a shit ton of free stickers, zines and a personalized thank you note...also hand written.

elderly-men-in-porch-rocking-chair.jpg

Or you had to put a hand-written note and a five dollar bill in a plain white envelope and hunt around for a stamp before you waited 3 to 4 weeks for it to show up in your mailbox...typically along with a shit ton of free stickers, zines and a personalized thank you note...also hand written.

elderly-men-in-porch-rocking-chair.jpg

Oh my god, I miss those days so so much.  Paying $25 for a shirt, a 7", a comp CD and a bunch of odds and ends.  Shit just felt much more personal.  

Mine was the Best Coast / Wavves split 7" they sold on their winter tour in 2011, which I got signed by Bobb Bruno after the show. It was a total impulse buy, and I went another nine months before starting to actively buy records: the show was in January and I bought my second record in October that same year, right after my roommate at the time got a turntable to put in our dorm room.

First colored record was either Best Coast - Crazy For You (seafoam green) or TFOT - In The Unlikely Event (mint green).

Damn. I can't believe I've been buying records for four years now.

I didn't buy my first record until 2010, so I kind of got into the hobby just as vinyl was making a huge comeback. For those of you who collected in the 90's and early 2000's, how would you compare it to collecting today? It might sound like a stupid question, but there was obviously hardly a demand for vinyl during those years, and now with the resurgence we're seeing $25 single LP's, and thousands of poop punk teens hanging multicolored glow in the dark splatter records on their wall and all over social media. It seems like in those years, it was less about it being a statement to others about yourself, and way more just because you wanted the music on a certain format.

(1000th post!)

LPs used to always be cheaper than the CD version.  An LP might be between $9-$12 and the CD was like $1 more. 

I think that many labels kept it that way artificially as a matter of pride/tradition.  Particularly if you were a 'punk' band/label and you weren't offering your new album on vinyl, it might hurt your 'cred'.  Quality really started to suffer as the cost to produce a vinyl record went up and the cost to produce a CD plunged.  If I pull out a LOOKOUT! release from the late 90's/00s, it's very likely a flimsy piece of junk. 

These days, you pay through the nose for a vinyl release but you usually get nice packaging and a solid piece of wax.  It's treated more as a statement piece rather than just legacy support.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a conversation about this with a friend of mine last week who i worked with at a record shop for years. When i first started buying records on my own in the late 90s early 2000s most use stuff was crazy cheap and most new stuff was 10-14 new. Maybe a double LP was 15 or 16. Cds were more. The only reason i bought alot of cds were a) they were used and B) employee discount. I unfortunately sold a good chunk of my records i bought when i first started collecting when i had to move for school. Only regret a few i wish i still owned, the others because of demand they receive now.

To answer the original question posted i bought mighty mighty bossstones lets face it, nirvana incesticide and some smiths OG pressings, all for like25 bucks. The good ole days...