What was your first record?

It was either:

1) The Receiving End Of Sirens - Between The Heart And The Synapse (a gift from a friend)

2) Ima Robot - Another Man's Treasure

3) Colour Revolt - Plunder, Beg, and Curse and The Cradle (at a show)

I'm thinking it was the Colour Revolt records, and the others were really close behind.

I think my first MAY have been the Polyglot / Fall From Grace split on Pin Drop records in '96. Had to look up the label, I just remember the Polyglot 7". I sold all of my 90s hardcore before I went to college. Idiot. 

My first purchase that started my current collection was Brown Bird - The Devil Dancing. One of my favorites that I own. I went to a Brewery 1-Year Anniversary party in the sticks in VT. They were playing and were great but only had a few LPs. Bought one and I'm glad I did! Way out of print now and not much hope for a repress. 

I didn't buy my first record until 2010, so I kind of got into the hobby just as vinyl was making a huge comeback. For those of you who collected in the 90's and early 2000's, how would you compare it to collecting today? It might sound like a stupid question, but there was obviously hardly a demand for vinyl during those years, and now with the resurgence we're seeing $25 single LP's, and thousands of poop punk teens hanging multicolored glow in the dark splatter records on their wall and all over social media. It seems like in those years, it was less about it being a statement to others about yourself, and way more just because you wanted the music on a certain format.

Also, how did CD prices compare to LP prices then?

I didn't buy my first record until 2010, so I kind of got into the hobby just as vinyl was making a huge comeback. For those of you who collected in the 90's and early 2000's, how would you compare it to collecting today? It might sound like a stupid question, but there was obviously hardly a demand for vinyl during those years, and now with the resurgence we're seeing $25 single LP's, and thousands of poop punk teens hanging multicolored glow in the dark splatter records on their wall and all over social media. It seems like in those years, it was less about it being a statement to others about yourself, and way more just because you wanted the music on a certain format.

Vinyl was pretty cheap, i collected alot of screamo skramz emo type stuff. I remeber shows buying an LP for 6 bucks and them giving me a 7" for nothing. Could explain why those type bands never really stuck around for more than a full length or two. They gave away and sold stuff for dirt cheap. CDs were mostly available but the records were cheaper.

I never recall dropping more than 10 bucks on a record at a time. Most of those labels are gone now though :/

IF my memory serves me correctly, cd's were definitely more expensive than LP's during that time. You'd pay anywhere from $12-17 for a cd, where as an LP on the high side was around $14.