Airline help

More details. Trying to leave the 22nd and come home from 7-11th of April. Kayak has Spirit for $327. Good deal? Round trip. Leaving Detroit and flying into Tampa.

Yeah, that's a good deal. Spirit does suck but they will get you there. It's possible something will come up later or another site will have one for $20 cheaper (ballpark), but don't stress about it. If $20 makes that big a deal to you, you shouldn't go (but you should, just putting in context).

Pack light and carry on. They'll get you for $40ish dollars to check a bag.

Yeah, that's a good deal. Spirit does suck but they will get you there. It's possible something will come up later or another site will have one for $20 cheaper (ballpark), but don't stress about it. If $20 makes that big a deal to you, you shouldn't go (but you should, just putting in context).

Pack light and carry on. They'll get you for $40ish dollars to check a bag.

I'm only bringing clothes and the stuff I absolutely need. Also her Xmas gifts I didn't sent. Anyone know what the biggest carry on I can get away with is?

I don't know what the limit is, but I bring a pretty large Chrome bag as my carry on.  I see people with those big rolling suitcase things too.

I mostly check Priceline, Google Flight Matrix and Chipmunk.  Hipmunk and Flight Matrix are nice because they let you see if it's cheaper to fly a day ahead of time and stuff like that.

Hopper is an app that'll keep an eye on flight costs and send you notifications when they're cheap.  I was really happy with it.

My girlfriend and I use Kayak when we fly back and forth to each other (Maryland / South Carolina). She's used Delta three times and has paid around $170 each roundtrip. I went via US Airways and ended up paying $280 roundtrip. My next trip down is the week after Easter and so far all the flights are around the $280 price or they have really crappy times.

I don't know what the limit is, but I bring a pretty large Chrome bag as my carry on.  I see people with those big rolling suitcase things too.

I believe this goes back to Juan's point about Spirit sucking. They have small planes and are assholes about making you check bags if they don't fit their rules. I'm sure you can look the sizes up online, but I believe you need either a small duffle bag or the one that's a little bigger than a microwave.

if you get stuck needing to check a bag or have something they consider carry-on and you didn't take care of it in advance, they can REALLY stick it to you if they choose to.  These are the rates:

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices

Personally, I would just say fuck 'em and pay a few bucks more and fly Southwest.

https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

you are all welcome

This is the correct answer. Also, don't fly Spirit. Ever.

If you're looking to go to Tampa, don't forget to search the Orlando, St Pete's/Clearwater, and Sarasota airports as well. They're all pretty close to each other, and you might finder better prices at one of the others. Shit, you should also check flights leaving from Flint or Lansing. When NW had Detroit on lockdown, you could often find better prices leaving from the surrounding cities.

How can I buy these tickets??

For a while, it would just give you the results and you'd have to go through a travel agent (if I remember correctly).  I think they partnered with a place that'll sell you tickets now.  I believe you can use some sort of search magic to find those results on Hipmunk too.

For a while, it would just give you the results and you'd have to go through a travel agent (if I remember correctly).  I think they partnered with a place that'll sell you tickets now.  I believe you can use some sort of search magic to find those results on Hipmunk too.

it will direct you to whatever site shows the ticket price you want to buy.  sometimes its directly with the airline, other times its through travel sites.  I bought round trip flights for my wife (and her co-teacher) last summer on that site to Scotland, and with the matrix, I was able to find that it was $700 cheaper to fly out of Baltimore rather than Pittsburgh.  So I drove them 4 hours to the airport, saved them $1,400 on their trip.