Do you buy new bootlegs?

It makes me sad to go into my local store and see pressings of Loveless, Bone Machine, Live Through This, etc. and know that some uneducated schlubs are coming and buying them thinking they are the real deal. I love my store and want to tell them what they're doing is a disservice, but I don't know that they care (the customers or the employees).

I'd like to hear that. I did have an mp3 of a few songs performed a few years back but not the whole show.

Still though I would be very apprehensive of buying bootlegs of non-released live stuff unless I knew there was a very high quality recording available. Just seems like you pay the premium to have it on wax whilst it would possible only sound as good at the crowd-sourced mp3s you can get for free.

Never, if I can help it. I do have boots of A Saucerful of Secrets by Pink Floyd and No Slave by Infest that I mistakenly picked up. They sound "okay" but if I had known at the time I wouldn't have got them.

I don't see the point in spending any money on a bootleg. Someone above said a boot was $20 but even that is far too much for me. I would rather put the money towards a legitimate release of something else I want to pick up. It's not worth it to me, just to say I had something on vinyl. I'll stream/listen to the CD until I can get official releases.

I do have an issue with stores selling boots without prior warning. I know there's a whole legal minefield there but there always seems to be an element of exploitation when the boots are stuck in the middle of "real" issues. I guess the seller's argument is "if you don't want it, don't buy it." but that's hard to take when there are so many people getting into vinyl at the moment. There's a seller near me that has the Melvins - Houdini EU bootleg press and they have a sign next to it saying "this is a shitty sounding bootleg, be warned!"

For the record, those two I have in the mail cost around $35 ppd from Europe for two double LPs of albums that haven't had official releases yet. (I know Magna Carta is getting one, but c'mon...7" box set? No thanks.) I would never pay more than $15 for a boot.

As far as only buying boots when there isn't an original available, I'm totally down with that, and if I can get a legit pressing at a decent price that's what I do. If the boot has the same matrix and everything and was pressed from the same plates though...I'd have to consider how much of a price difference there is.

Like I said, I grabbed Magna Carta because it's only release scheduled so far is a 7" box set (which I think is garbage. I'm sure it'll see a real release at some point...but I was ordering that Drake for my wife anyway and wanted to justify the shipping cost. I don't see that mixtape getting pressed any time soon.)

buy them all the time.. quality is usually decent/good.  For the most part they'd be a place holder until a repress, or i stumble upon a deal in a used bin.

Regarding royalties, artists dont see a dime from inflated secondary market selling of used/new-used records.. so what difference if its a boot.  If they (or the label) wanted to get paid, instead of me spending my hard earned on $100+ beck records, they repress em already!

While that's true, there also is not someone making a lot of money off an entire press they didn't have to pay royalties on with flipping.

I have a boot of Loveless (which I bought knowing it was a boot) and a boot of the first Queens of the Stone Age record (that one was a more poorly informed decision in my younger, more vulnerable years). They're okay - I mean I'd totally buy a bootleg if it was a live show or whatever that was never going to get an official pressing, and I bought Loveless because I had some money to burn and am REALLY into that record.

But overall, I'd wager that 99% of boots are sourced from CD rips, so why not just buy the CD unless there is some special, sentimental reason you want it on wax? I mean, I HATE that most modern labels aren't forthcoming with the source of modern pressings anyway (that's why I love SRC's recent JEW reissues so much, they were forward in letting you know what was sourced from where), but that's an entirely different subject. It just comes down to if dropping $20-30 on a record you KNOW is going to, at best, sound as good as the CD is worth it to you.

There's a regular record fair in my town that is mostly ace but one time I went and a guy tried to push a sale of Songs for the Deaf on me. He was all like "there were only fifty of these made, really popular, great record" without indicating that it was a boot at all. I could see it was a fake but I saw a few kids buy copies that day.

How does everyone feel about non-album bootlegs? I buy bootleg 'comps' of live, demos, etc. rather than studio albums. I have a few really cool live/unreleased Germs ones and a Fear boot with tons of early demos. I recently picked up a newer Screamers boot that compiles their demo with Geza X since they never recorded an album or any singles.

Offhand, I own a bootleg copy of Leatherface - Mush. That said, if a legit repress becomes available, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up.

Def going to try for this when it comes out...

http://www.bullmoose.com/p/18205863/leatherface-razor-blades-aspirin-1990-1

Yeah...that is my top priority RSD release.  It's pretty limitied though (I think it's 500 in the US and 1000 in the UK).  If I can't get the box set, I am hoping there will be an official repress of the 3 included albums to follow.