Do you buy new bootlegs?

We've all seen those $30 bootlegs (or "imports," as some shops call them) at our local stores. Right now, I am really interested in obtaining one of the Lost In Translation boots. But there are two main issues stopping me from buying it:

1. Legitimacy. Obviously none of these are legal, and no money is going to anyone who had anything to do with the official release. Knowing there's an official version out there stops me from buying these - like I wouldn't get the same sense of ownership that I do with an official copy of an album.

2. Quality. Surface noise, like official releases, varies from release to release, but my issue with quality is the source material used. I'm sure that a lot, if not all, of these modern bootlegs use CD rips or even MP3 downloads. Some official vinyl releases are probably CD rips too, so I wonder if it's worth debating.

I guess it boils down to this: Is having an unofficial and perhaps inferior to CD bootleg really worth owning just to say that you have it on vinyl?

buy them all the time.. quality is usually decent/good.  For the most part they'd be a place holder until a repress, or i stumble upon a deal in a used bin.

Regarding royalties, artists dont see a dime from inflated secondary market selling of used/new-used records.. so what difference if its a boot.  If they (or the label) wanted to get paid, instead of me spending my hard earned on $100+ beck records, they repress em already!

buy them all the time.. quality is usually decent/good. For the most part they'd be a place holder until a repress, or i stumble upon a deal in a used bin.

Regarding royalties, artists dont see a dime from inflated secondary market selling of used/new-used records.. so what difference if its a boot. If they (or the label) wanted to get paid, instead of me spending my hard earned on $100+ beck records, they repress em already!

This is EXACTLY what I was going to say (minus the beck part).

I found a Killers - Hot Fuss bootleg at my local shop and picked it up because I didn't realize it was one. After doing research at home I figured it out. The jacket quality is weaker than most and the record sounds only ok. I wouldn't say it sounds bad but I have a lot more records that sounds clearer. It was only $20 so, whatever. My advice is to research online if you have doubts. There are probably other people out there posting about the quality. As for the whole moral dilemma thing thing... idk 

Never, if I can help it. I do have boots of A Saucerful of Secrets by Pink Floyd and No Slave by Infest that I mistakenly picked up. They sound "okay" but if I had known at the time I wouldn't have got them.

I don't see the point in spending any money on a bootleg. Someone above said a boot was $20 but even that is far too much for me. I would rather put the money towards a legitimate release of something else I want to pick up. It's not worth it to me, just to say I had something on vinyl. I'll stream/listen to the CD until I can get official releases.

I do have an issue with stores selling boots without prior warning. I know there's a whole legal minefield there but there always seems to be an element of exploitation when the boots are stuck in the middle of "real" issues. I guess the seller's argument is "if you don't want it, don't buy it." but that's hard to take when there are so many people getting into vinyl at the moment. There's a seller near me that has the Melvins - Houdini EU bootleg press and they have a sign next to it saying "this is a shitty sounding bootleg, be warned!"

I never buy bootlegs. I have two in my collection Tool "Salival" boot lp which was a gift and Smashing Pumpkins "Mellon..." boot on yellow lp which I bought years ago being unaware it's a bootleg. And to be frank I find bootlegs as a rip off and easy money people are getting from someones work. Lets be clear, whoever released last Pearl Jam boots has made hell lot of cash.

Only as a last resort and never if it is readily available (and mostly affordable) otherwise. I got Lost in Translation and the recent Lost Highway soundtrack releases because originals were nearing $200+ (and Lost Highway seems to have used the same stampers as the original), but I generally try to avoid counterfeits because they often sound like shit and have poor quality control. 

I'll also buy bootleg live recordings, remixes, demos, etc. when I can - again only if they sound exceptional.