Help/advice for finding a job?

It sounds like you were basically doing freelance work and in that situation, as a non-employee, the burden on paying taxes on your income is pretty much on you anyway. 

As long as the business owner is comfortable saying you did work for them, I don't see any issue.

This. If you're looking for work in photography/design your portfolio and technical knowledge is going to be more important than your work history. Whether it was under-the-table or not is irrelevant, just say you were doing freelance work for Company X and then list them as a reference (check with them first).

(Typically in the creative fields when people list time doing freelance, it reads as "unemployed" unless they can actually show what and for whom they were doing work.)

I work very early hours (4am-noon) so that I can still take classes during the afternoon and evening. Look for something like that ? It really sucks being at work that early but you also aren't pinned against a wall when it comes to finding classes that will work with your schedule.

I actually did this for about 1.5 years. It was really rough on me though. I worked 4am -11am part time, then would have class from like 12 noon - whenever im done. For a long time I had either work or school, 7 days a week. Now I'm in my last semester finishing my bachelor's and have some super long days with my current job and school overlap, but at least I get a day off or 2 if im lucky. OP, maybe do UPS slinging boxes or something? I looked into that before I recently left a horrible retail job I had for almost 4 years. UPS is like a Call Center in that if you want the job, you pretty much get the job. 5 hour shifts after class or something...not the worst deal in the world

I worked and went to school full-time the entire time I was in my undergrad. Generally, it's hard to find a job that offers a. Great pay b. Flexible schedule and c. Part-time hours and d. Isn't retail. You usually have to choose a couple of those qualities, while leaving one out. In my last two years I sold phones. It wasn't optimal, but my boss was great about working around my inconsistently obnoxious school schedule and I made pretty good money. I recommend building a strong resume and chatting it up with businesses you like. Good luck to you!

I worked and went to school full-time the entire time I was in my undergrad. Generally, it's hard to find a job that offers a. Great pay b. Flexible schedule and c. Part-time hours and d. Isn't retail. You usually have to choose a couple of those qualities, while leaving one out. In my last two years I sold phones. It wasn't optimal, but my boss was great about working around my inconsistently obnoxious school schedule and I made pretty good money. I recommend building a strong resume and chatting it up with businesses you like. Good luck to you!

I have actually been looking into Verizon. They have pretty decent pay and you get commission if you sell a plan. I'd imagine you'd get a pretty decent percent off your own personal plan as well.

The head of security at DCCC was a regular at the bar I lived above. According to him "I don't care if you smoke weed on campus, but if I catch you selling that shit I'm calling the cops."

But yeah, sell drugs. Heroin is super popular in Po-town.

Yeah, Poughkeepsie is an awesome place to be now. Real family place. Especially with all the shootings lately. Just a lovely place to live. 

I was a part time janitor in college. Worked at night and made $16+ an hour.

Work was inconsistent so I delivered pizzas in between work layoffs. Decent money depending on the area you work.

Finished college and couldn't find a janitor job or any other good paying job (thanks 2008 financial crisis.) Lived off $25K (in NYC!!) with my now wife for 2+ years.

Moral of the story, you could sweep shit or deliver pizzas part time and you'll be alright. However, also do things to help your resume later...

• 2 months later...

If a Drug Test is required to get a certain job, I know I will fail because I smoke weed. But with weed becoming medicinal and moving towards legalization I feel as though if that is the ONLY thing to come up on the test it should be ignored. I mean, I don't drink so what's worse me coming in with a hangover every day or a smile on my face? Anyone ever been in this situation where THC was discovered in a drug test but was still hired? This shit stays in your body for a long time. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be a waste of time going after a job that requires a drug test. 

I'm at the point in life right now where I'm trying to figure out what the hell I want to do. For some reason in the back of my head, as a last choice, becoming a Corrections Officer is something that has always interested me.

Why not stop smoking to increase your chances of getting a cool job?

I'm working on that. I don't wake and Bake anymore, instead I exercise. I still smoke at night though and usually take one hit out of the bong in the afternoon. I'm sure I could easily give it up but it just sucks because even if I don't smoke for months it'll still be in my system even if I'm stone sober. I really don't want to start drinking again either.

I have a job working as an in house photographer/graphic designer for a boutique shop but I think I'm getting bored with it. (maybe because the pay isn't spectacular) I've thought about being a private eye or maybe working for a newspaper/news station/magazine. So I guess if I can't find something soon I'm just thinking of back up plans because I don't want to be self employed doing photo gigs. Gotta think about the future, benefits, retirement, etc..

even if I don't smoke for months it'll still be in my system even if I'm stone sober

It only stays in your urine for ~30 days, and blood for about a week or two. A hair test is a different story, but those are super rare (I had one at my job current job though).

I'd eat too much if I worked in fast food lol...

Another question though, it's late and I'm getting tired but if the Cover Letter field isn't marked required when filling out an application/sending resume...should I just ignore it and submit without one?? I really don't feel like writing one right now

I'm old, but I'd always suggest a cover letter unless it's just an entry level position. IMO most resumes are ignored (even when the person is qualified) because the resume and cover letter aren't tailored to the requirements of the position.

Resume - condense, and make sure the skills/experience you have that are relevant to the position are clearly listed.

Cover Letter - Shouldn't be more than a couple of paragraphs, and should explain why you're a great fit for the job. If a hiring manager glances at yours, can they immediately see why you deserve an interview? If not, they'll move onto the next one.