The Mental Health Thread (Support and Discussion)

I see this coming up across the forums. A lot of VC folks are hurting and not everyone has the support or feels comfortable utilizing the support immediately in front of them. I wanted to create a place for people to go in need of advice or education on mental health or tips on mitigating stress. The general stance towards mental health is sickening to me, so many people suffer at one point or another in their life and the attitude is so apathetic towards the afflicted. So if you need a space to discuss any of the above, I hope this could be a supportive corner of the boards, and minimize the alienation or negative comments from certain users by people trying to discuss this in non-related threads. If people don't feel comfortable talking publically, also know my inbox is always open to anyone and it will be a private conversation.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline (available 24/7)

1 (800) 273-8255

If your loved ones need some education on helping with your mental health, this organization offers education as well as support groups, they are a great organization

https://www.nami.org/Find-Support/NAMI-Programs

some good information on disorders, and how to live with and treat them

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/index.shtml

I suppose I can share first. Although today is not a bad day, I am diagnosed with moderate depression, recurrent anxiety and borderline tendencies (the doctor who gave me a diagnosis doesn't know me well enough to diagnose me with full blown borderline personality disorder, but I have more than enough of the symptoms to match up with it). I have had a lifetime of mental abuse and a little physical abuse, I have been a nervous wreck my entire life and value my relationships with others higher than myself. My stress tolerance is incredibly low and the slightest insult or failure can completely crush me. My tolerance increases when life is good and sadly when I get positive reinforcement from others, I'm constantly seeking approval. But it's always been to the point I could never handle working two jobs or a job and school and I wasn't well off enough to focus on school, so my several attempts at higher education were met with mental breakdowns and I still just have a high school diploma, so finding a good paying job is difficult even though I am just as intelligent as most with a BA/BS. I can't blame them that's the system and they can't just take me at my word without the education or experience on paper. So I found my niche working in record stores, I did 6 years across 2 record stores. I started as a clerk, and learned buyback at the first store and used that experience to move up to assistant store manager at the next as well as learning warehouse work and the backside of the business but the stress (we sold shady products that attracted the wrong crowd coupled with being located in a bad neighborhood) and being overworked did a number on me. After 4 years with the 2nd store I tried to negotiate a $10/hr salary ($9.40/hr was my rate of pay) and was met with a strong no, I then asked for two consecutive days off to help lessen the stress and was also met with a no. So I put in my two weeks and walked away from the only job I ever felt good at. I have only had one job since it was fixing cell phones, my fine motor skills are poor, my knowledge of phones is lacking and I got hurt and missed half of the training. When I came back I was thrown into it, and no one else knew what they were doing. The stress was even worse, I didn't have knowledge, training or support and felt outside my comfort zone. I couldn't even turn to my co-workers for help they were also as in the dark since it was a start up in the area. After about 3 weeks I botched 3 repairs and had a mental breakdown, got yelled at by customers, manager was out of town and I just texted him and said I wasn't coming back. I have lived with my parents for over 3 years, I went home after a failed marriage with someone who was very abusive (mostly mentally) and have been lucky to have them to fall back on when I haven't had work. They have allowed me to work on my mental health since August which has been an up and down process. I only recently got on the right medication, so now coupled with yoga and other excercise (joined a gym) I feel like I am on the road to recovery. I still feel lacking in confidence but feel like I might be able to start working again soon, I'm just overwhelmed cause I've been out of work for so long and still have self-esteem issues, it's hard to start again and I felt like I've had to get back up so many times it gets harder and harder to start from scratch. I dunno if I should reach out to social networks for help finding a job or just take it upon myself and look, I just feel like the gap in work history will cause stigma with employers and it would be nice to have someone to vouch for me. I just need to take one step forward rather than get overwhelmed by the 30 steps in front of me and not take one at all, think that's one of the hardest things for people like us, it's easier to stress about the outcome rather than try to make the journey

I have to be brutally honest and say that I think this thread it a terrible idea and should be locked. Mental health is a very tough subject, and something that works and helps one person may actually harm another. This is a liability for this forum. The main advice I have for someone having mental health issues is to seek professional help.

The first post has some good links to places that can actually help. I think this thread should stop right there.

I have to be brutally honest and say that I think this thread it a terrible idea and should be locked. Mental health is a very tough subject, and something that works and helps one person may actually harm another. This is a liability for this forum. The main advice I have for someone having mental health issues is to seek professional help.

The first post has some good links to places that can actually help. I think this thread should stop right there.

Agreed. If you just want to vent to spmeone, it is probably best to do it privately. If you are seriously considering or currently are harming yourself you should seek professional help, not the compassion of internet strangers.

I agree with this 100%. The users on these boards are not doctors, therapists, or psychiatrists. If you're suffering from mental health issues you need to seek PROFESSIONAL help right away. There's also a significantly high chance users will use information posting here in a negative/malicious way and that is not something Vinyl Collective is going to facilitate.

No offensive to the OP, but this is a very sensitive subject and frankly these boards are not a place to seek medical help.