Upgrade to U-Turn Orbit?

I was going to use the search function, but I believe it's still broken.

I'm just curious to those who own one or have used one if they're good and if they have any flaws worth mentioning. I currently own an AT LP60, so I'm pretty sure it will be an upgrade from that. I was going to Google it or watch YouTube videos, but I prefer to hear it from you guys and gals.

Or maybe I should save up a bit more and get something else? Money is tight, so I'm not looking to spend so much which is why Orbit is looking good.

Being in the UK I've never heard an Orbit so I may well be way off with this but looking at the design and build I would expect an Orbit to be quite a step up from an LP60 and for an Orbit with a decent cartridge and an acrylic platter to be a match for the lower end Projects or possibly even a Rega RP1, but then of course you are in to similar territory price wise with all of them.

I don't think I've seen a group test of the Orbit and it's immediate competition yet but it needs to be done as it's questions and comparisons you see a lot without anyone really addressing it.

It's definitely looking like I should just save up a bit more and I'll be able to have a good brand name turntable like an Rega. I was interested in Pro-ject, but I heard some people having issues with it. I can't remember exactly what the issue was but it was something to do with the power source or along those lines. Don't know if this issue was just a random occurrence, because if so I'm definitely interested in those as well.

There are good deals around now for the RP3 as the new Planer 3 is out, that said there are quite some changes between the RP3 and the new Planer 3 so if you're saving up and want to go Rega then that's the way to go.

I'm assuming you're in the US but if not there are some very good deals about on some of the Edwards Audio tables which are more bespoke Rega's effectively but I don't know if these are available or cost effective in the US.

I love how buying a new TT on a tight budget goes from, "On a budget, looking at the Orbit for $180~", to "An RP-1 is only $450, just save for that", to "Just get an RP3, then you'll really notice the upgrade! ($900?)".  If you have an LP60 now, I'm guessing you'll at least a couple other things to get it up and running as well. 

I have a Project Essential II and I've had no problems with it. The big difference between the 60 and the Orbit is that the Orbit has a counterweight, glass platter and skate weight. As far as I know, you can't replace parts of the 60 if it wears/breaks. 

The orbit does not have a glass platter. Fiber board or acrylic only.

I have a Project Essential II and I've had no problems with it. The big difference between the 60 and the Orbit is that the Orbit has a counterweight, glass platter and skate weight. As far as I know, you can't replace parts of the 60 if it wears/breaks. 

That's missing quite a bit in the differences between these tables

The component parts of the Orbit in the main are the same materials as those used in the RP1 and the lower end Projects upto around the Carbon DC when the acrylic platter is used so it's in a completely different league to the AT60 which is mostly plastic.

Also the Orbit has one important feature that none of the others have which is a uni-pivot tonearm (the main bearing floats on a centre point bearing rather than sitting between four separate bearings). These when right are superb and the main reason I want to try one personally because if they've got this thing right it has the potential to be very good indeed and capable of tracking some very expensive cartridges.

The downside of the uni-pivot design is that it is very low mass so that does dictate the cartridges it will work well with but the upsides when right far outweigh the downsides.

If you're going to go the Rega route, save for the RP3/Planar 3, not the RP1.

Agreed. ^

Collecting records is an expensive hobby. Better save up and upgrade to something better like a Rega.

awwww i love when you boys speak my language ;)

for real though. i love my RP3 and i'm so glad i saved up and made the investment.