48% of UK vinyl record buyers don't actually play their records

"As pointed out by Pitchfork, polling company ICM Unlimited recently ran a study on the modern vinyl record buyer in the UK. Surprisingly, 48% of people who bought a vinyl record last month reportedly did not have a turntable that they currently used. It is suspected that the 48% buy vinyl records as collector's items or trinkets. Also, according to the same poll, 45% of vinyl purchasers stated that prior to buying a particular record, they first heard that record on SoundCloud, YouTube, Spotify, or another streaming service. The majority of the pre-purchase streaming was via free services."

https://www.punknews.org/article/60540/48-of-uk-vinyl-record-buyers-dont-actually-play-their-records

The biggest negative impact this causes is with supply and demand. More record sales = higher prices for everyone in that region. Fellow older collectors have seen how crazy prices have gotten over this last decade, unfortunately most people tend to assume this is because of greed and hype, not basic product scarcity.

This doesn't surprise me really. I appreciate the aesthetics of blown up album art and pretty variants. Also ninety percent of records come with digital downloads so you end up with a much more convenient and portable way to listen to the music anyway. I play all mine, but not half as regularly as I listen to my mp3 player. 

This doesn't surprise me really. I appreciate the aesthetics of blown up album art and pretty variants. Also ninety percent of records come with digital downloads so you end up with a much more convenient and portable way to listen to the music anyway. I play all mine, but not half as regularly as I listen to my mp3 player.

With you there. I'm always driving for work, so I load my phone with my most recent purchases as often as I can. I usually only redeem codes once or twice a month, so I always get to spin the record first anyway.

Hahaha, serving little cakes on 7"s.

No we have bloody great big Victoria sponges to put on the big those round plastic discs.

And you can't put a hot cut of tea on those little ones they go all crinkly, mind you at least in the Empire we drink our tea hot the way it's supposed to be, no we use the little ones as coasters for beer

Seriously though it does depend very much where you ask this question, if it's asked in the areas of the larger cities that are filled with gentlemen that favour facial topiary and single speed bicycles then I'd say that 48% is a bit low but everywhere else I'd say it's quite a bit high especially judging by the amount of turntables that I get asked for.