Under The Influence Series...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Admin

sorry guys, to say that I have been busy is an understatement. Many of the ones you have mentioned are correct and lots of others are in discussion. I got in trouble from a few publicists for leaking this info as a few news sites picked up on the stories so a favor I ask is to keep anything I say about these releases hush until we make a more formal announcement. I really like sharing potential projects with everyone, but am not keen on getting in trouble with some band's publicists:

the Look Mexico/Fake Problems will more than likely be first, both are recorded and currently being mastered. Mitch is working on art.

Drag the River recently recorded some tracks and did 2 covers that might make it in this series. 1 song is the most incredible cover of a Sam Cooke song I have ever heard. I have listened to it like a million times.

But at some point hopefully soon we will be doing the jon/ben split, the rocky/chad split, and the chuck/tim split mentioned in this thread.

Ninja Gun has recorded a kinks cover for their split with Whiskey and Co are gonna do a Pogues cover.

Minus the Bear emailed me the other day and will soon be recording a song for hteir split with These Arms are Snakes.

Ghost Buffalo are doing a smashing pumpkins cover and are almost done. that might be a split with Hawks and Doves, gared from planes new band.

Lemuria will record this fall for the series, but we are not sure who they are doing it with. Any ideas?

Teenage Bottlerocket and the Ergs are doing a split, got the bottlerocket song, but waiting on the ergs. they said their song is recorded, but they are having a hard time getting it mixed. Mikey hasn't written me back in a while. anyone see htem on tour, please ask them.

a josh small / william elliott whitmore and a austin lucas / cory branan split should also happen sometime next year. Tried to get Gaslight and American steel to record their split so we can have it out on this tour coming up, but both bands are so insanely busy. And as flood said, there will be a BTMI/Mustard Plug split.

There will also be an o pioneers / new bruises split, a playing favorites/limbeck split (limbeck has already recorded), a two cow garage / jr juggernaut, and hold your hats, there might be a Mike Hale / Joey Cape split.

oh and mike park was gonna call chris from sundowner to do a split. we will see what happens.

A lot of these may be a long ways off and at this point, I am relucant to do it as a subscription as there is too much pressure to get these out in a timely manner. I hope to have some in the pressing stage sooner than later

there are lots of other maybes floating around, but soon this whole train will be moving. thanks for the interest. Busy busy busy.

wow. what an undertaking! with that many projects in the works, i imagine a subscription would be a bit of a nightmare. not only would it have to cost some decent $$, but i'm sure it will take a long time to get so many records out.

no matter how it plays out, though, color me excited!

Guest Admin
Virgil,I'm seeing Mike and Chris tonight want me to ask him?

I'm close enough with Mike (probably not Chris though) it wouldn't be as hassle.

ask mike, last i spoke with mike, he said he was gonna call Chris and see what is up. that would be great. thanks.

Virgil,I'm seeing Mike and Chris tonight want me to ask him?

I'm close enough with Mike (probably not Chris though) it wouldn't be as hassle.

ask mike, last i spoke with mike, he said he was gonna call Chris and see what is up. that would be great. thanks.

PSH! Chris has been in town for the last week, Mike better have spoken with him. I'll just mention it to Mike, see if he's had time to talk with him.

Let you know if I hear anything.

do a tim/mike kinsella split.

I'd buy it. I would also buy a subscription!! I wouldn't care if they came out every month or every 3 or whenever I still want to get all of them! If it is stated that they will have staggered and varying release dates, opposed to definite ones, I would think (and hope) that maybe it could be possible to do such a thing. Since releases are planned, once they are finalized and announced there could be a preorder sign up? Out of curiosity, would anybody else care if they had to wait as long as they knew it would arrive eventually?

• 1 month later...

bump, new info added to the top and here:

This was posted on 09/26/08 via thepunksite.com:

Tony: Things have been a bit quiet on the split series you are working on, Under the Influence. How is that project going?

Virgil: Okay, here is the deal about the split series and a few of these have never been announced, you ready

Tony: Oh ya! My pocket book may not be ready to hear this though!

Virgil: Ben Nichols / Jon Snodgrass, Chad Price / Rocky Votolato, Fake Problems / Look Mexico, William Elliott Whitmore / Josh Small, Chuck Ragan / Tim Barry, O Pioneers / New Bruises, Cory Branan / Austin Lucas, American Steel / Gaslight Anthem, Bomb the Music Industry / Mustard Plug, Teenage Bottlerocket / The Ergs! (The Ergs might not get released since they are breaking up), Playing Favorites / Limbeck, Minus The Bear / These Arms are Snakes, Two Cow Garage / Jr Juggernaut, Hawks and Doves (with Gared from Planes) / Ghost Buffalo, Mike Hale / Joey Cape, Lemuria / Off With Their Heads, and Ninja Gun / Whiskey and Company

Tony: I think I may need to sue you now to repair my broken jaw as it just crashed to the floor.

Virgil: I will take that as a compliment!

Tony: Seriously? That lineup is real?

Virgil: Not all will come out right away, but all have given me yeses.

Tony: Wow - you are not fucking around when it comes to this release! Any time table for the series at the moment?

Virgil: The Ninja Gun / Whiskey and Company should be out by the Fest and the Fake Problems / Look Mexico, too.

The Minus The Bear / These Arms Are Snakes should be close to recorded.

Mike Hale, Teenage Bottlerocket, Mustard Plug, and Limbeck have all recorded too, just waiting on their bands on the flipside.

Ghost Buffalo is recording next week.

Tony: Any chance of you doing some sort of subscription for the series? I know I won't be the only one who wants every single one.

Virgil: We had thought about it, but I was afraid that would be pressure on me to get copies out every month and I plan to put out a hundred of these, not just enough for a year or two so at this point, I think I am not going to do subscriptions.

Tony: That makes sense.