Under The Influence Series...

Looks like there is a lot of cool things for this series. Take the time to read through the pages to see what's in store. I'll add bits and pieces to this first post for anyone who hasn't been following it very well... If you would like to stream the current releases, click here.

Volume 1 Fake Problems/Look Mexico -- Cover Art: new / old: For this first release, Fake Problems are covering "I'm A Ramblin' Man" by Waylon Jennings and Look Mexico are covering "Brandy, You're a Fine Girl by Looking Glass. The 7"s will come with a coupon that will allow you to download the tracks as mp3s. The 7" will be pressed as an edition of 1,000 copies (300 on turquoise / white half and half, 700 on yellow vinyl). The Under the Influence series will also be available at your favorite digital retailer on November 4th. You can listen to each band's cover at their respective myspace pages:

http://www.myspace.com/fakeproblems

http://www.myspace.com/lookmexico

Volume 2 Whiskey and Company/Ninja Gun -- Cover Art: new / old: For this second release, Whiskey and Company are covering "Tuesday Morning" by the Pogues and Ninja Gun are covering "This is Where I Belong” by the Kinks. The 7"s will come with a coupon that will allow you to download the tracks as mp3s. The 7" will be pressed as an edition of 1,000 copies (300 on Gold vinyl, 700 on Partly Cloudy Sky Blue vinyl). The Under the Influence series will also be available at your favorite digital retailer the first week of December. You can listen to each band's cover at their respective myspace pages:

http://www.myspace.com/whiskeyandcompany

http://www.myspace.com/ninjagun

Volume 3 Mustard Plug/Bomb the Music Industry! -- Cover Art: new / old: For this third release, Mustard Plug are covering "Waiting Room" by Fugazi and Bomb the Music Industry! are covering "Gold Soundz” by Pavement. The 7"s will come with a coupon that will allow you to download the tracks as mp3s. The 7" will be pressed as an edition of 1,000 copies (300 on translucent light blue vinyl, 700 on Clear w/ Neon Green and Pink Splatter vinyl). The Under the Influence series will also be available at your favorite digital retailer the first week of December. You can listen to each band's cover at their respective myspace pages:

http://www.myspace.com/mustardplug

http://www.myspace.com/bombthemusicindustry

Volume 4 Teenage Bottlerocket/The Ergs! -- Cover Art: new / old: For this fourth release, Teenage Bottlerocket are covering “Having a Blast” by Green Day and The Ergs! are covering “Blockhead” by Devo. The 7"s will come with a coupon that will allow you to download the tracks as mp3s. The 7" will be pressed as an edition of 2,000 copies (300 on Translucent Red vinyl, 700 on Translucent Green w/ black splatter vinyl, 1,000 on Partly Cloudy Sky Blue vinyl). The Under the Influence series will also be available at your favorite digital retailer the around the end of December. You can listen to each band's cover at their respective myspace pages:

http://www.myspace.com/teenagebottlerocket

http://www.myspace.com/theergs

Volume 5 Drag The River -- Cover Art: new / old: For this fifth release, Drag the River are covering Sam Cooke's "Having a Party" and Jeff Black's "I Know". The 7"s will come with a coupon that will allow you to download the tracks as mp3s. The 7" will be pressed as an edition of 1,000 copies(300 on yellow/white half and half,700 on whiskey and coke). This is co-released with Hometown Caravan in Germany so 120 of the yellow/white and 280 of the whiskey and coke colored vinyl are off to Germany.

http://www.myspace.com/dragtheriver

Volume 6 Andrew Jackson Jihad/Cobra Skulls -- Cover Art: new / old / (midspelled cover art): For this fourth release, Andrew Jackson Jihad are covering "Two Headed Boy" by Neutral Milk Hotel and Cobra Skulls are coving "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan. The 7"s will come with a coupon that will allow you to download the tracks as mp3s. The 7" will be pressed as an edition of 2,000 copies. (300 on Maroon, 700 on Swampwater Green and 1,000 on White/Black half and half).

http://www.myspace.com/andrewjacksonjihad

http://www.myspace.com/cobraskulls

This was posted on 09/26/08 via thepunksite.com:

Tony: Things have been a bit quiet on the split series you are working on, Under the Influence. How is that project going?

Virgil: Okay, here is the deal about the split series and a few of these have never been announced, you ready

Tony: Oh ya! My pocket book may not be ready to hear this though!

Virgil: Ben Nichols / Jon Snodgrass, Chad Price / Rocky Votolato, Fake Problems / Look Mexico, William Elliott Whitmore / Josh Small, Chuck Ragan / Tim Barry, O Pioneers / New Bruises, Cory Branan / Austin Lucas, American Steel / Gaslight Anthem, Bomb the Music Industry / Mustard Plug, Teenage Bottlerocket / The Ergs! (The Ergs might not get released since they are breaking up), Playing Favorites / Limbeck, Minus The Bear / These Arms are Snakes, Two Cow Garage / Jr Juggernaut, Hawks and Doves (with Gared from Planes) / Ghost Buffalo, Mike Hale / Joey Cape, Lemuria / Off With Their Heads, and Ninja Gun / Whiskey and Company

Tony: I think I may need to sue you now to repair my broken jaw as it just crashed to the floor.

Virgil: I will take that as a compliment!

Tony: Seriously? That lineup is real?

Virgil: Not all will come out right away, but all have given me yeses.

Tony: Wow - you are not fucking around when it comes to this release! Any time table for the series at the moment?

Virgil: The Ninja Gun / Whiskey and Company should be out by the Fest and the Fake Problems / Look Mexico, too.

The Minus The Bear / These Arms Are Snakes should be close to recorded.

Mike Hale, Teenage Bottlerocket, Mustard Plug, and Limbeck have all recorded too, just waiting on their bands on the flipside.

Ghost Buffalo is recording next week.

Tony: Any chance of you doing some sort of subscription for the series? I know I won't be the only one who wants every single one.

Virgil: We had thought about it, but I was afraid that would be pressure on me to get copies out every month and I plan to put out a hundred of these, not just enough for a year or two so at this point, I think I am not going to do subscriptions.

Tony: That makes sense.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone posted on another board they heard from the Loved Ones that they're releasing a split 7" with Chuck Ragan, and Chuck is covering "Pretty Good Year" while Loved Ones are covering "For Broken Ears", with artwork by Matt Skiba. I don't know if it's part of the series, but it sounds like it would be, with the covers and all.

Guest kevinb

i Think i remember reading somthing on here with mewithoutyou doing a split with another band... i cant remember

and the mtb/ttas split but i duno if that would be in this series

I thought a Teenage Bottlerocket/The Ergs split was agreed too, but the songs hadn't been recorded yet.

I think Virgil has a bunch of plans and is really optimistic, but at this point doesn't have hard dates on when these things are going to roll. I'm sure he'll chime in rather than leaving us to guess...

i Think i remember reading somthing on here with mewithoutyou doing a split with another band... i cant remember

They're not doing a single split but rather their next album will be a quasi full length split, it's tentatively titled 'mewithoutYou and Friends' if you get the idea

They're not doing a single split but rather their next album will be a quasi full length split, it's tentatively titled 'mewithoutYou and Friends' if you get the idea

Where did you hear this.

whoah do you have any more info on this?

Aaron told a yankie I know when he was at Cornerstone, someone's added it to their wiki page too if you want a second opinion.

The way their recording it is Aaron and Mike are writing the songs just with accoustic and minimal percussion, then they're getting the Greg and Rickie and some other folks to build around that.

I have no proof of this, it's just a pretty wide spread suggestion that was started by Aaron

Lemuria (5/29/08) - The members of Lemuria are all really nice folks. Since my son has been sick, I wasn’t able to see them rock Denver, but luckily they stopped by the office the next day. And guess what? I asked them to do a split for the Vinyl Collective under the influence 7″ series and they said yes!

Aaron told a yankie I know when he was at Cornerstone, someone's added it to their wiki page too if you want a second opinion.

The way their recording it is Aaron and Mike are writing the songs just with accoustic and minimal percussion, then they're getting the Greg and Rickie and some other folks to build around that.

I have no proof of this, it's just a pretty wide spread suggestion that was started by Aaron

that sounds awesome, thanks for sharing!

Someone posted on another board they heard from the Loved Ones that they're releasing a split 7" with Chuck Ragan, and Chuck is covering "Pretty Good Year" while Loved Ones are covering "For Broken Ears", with artwork by Matt Skiba. I don't know if it's part of the series, but it sounds like it would be, with the covers and all.

I think this is being put out straight from Chuck Ragan and his label. This really needs to happen soon though, so excited for it.