MLB Discussion

The only way a 7 year contract is gonna work for Pujols is if he signs with an AL team so his last 2 or 3 years of the contact he can become a DH.

You know that he is a two time gold glove winner and has played 4 positions in the majors. the guy is a great fielder. He will hold up a hell of a lot better than Prince will, and this is coming from someone who hates Pujols.

You gotta remember that only one person has had a similar career and body type to Prince. His dad, and he was washed out of the majors in the early 30s.

Contracts over 5 years don't generally work out when players are at that age. Guess it is just a cost of doing business?

Out of curiosity, you think that Fielder is worth a longer contract than Pujols. Is that purely based on age?

Yea, basically if you want one of these two then you're gonna have to give them a longer contract than your comfortable with.

The only way a 7 year contract is gonna work for Pujols is if he signs with an AL team so his last 2 or 3 years of the contact he can become a DH.

You know that he is a two time gold glove winner and has played 4 positions in the majors. the guy is a great fielder. He will hold up a hell of a lot better than Prince will, and this is coming from someone who hates Pujols.

You gotta remember that only one person has had a similar career and body type to Prince. His dad, and he was washed out of the majors in the early 30s.

Very true. Pujols can defintiely field his position. I think Pujols should stay in St. Louis though just cause it would be nice to see him finish his career there and not jump to another team, especially a division rival or to a team like the Marlins who will be looking to dump his contract cause they cant afford it in 2 years.

Fielder would be smart to sign with an AL club so that he could move to DH in a few years. He wont be as durable as Pujols and wont be able to play in the field for his whole career. Or sign a 3-4 year deal in the NL for $25M/year and sign with an AL team once that contract is up.

I think it is possible Pujols stays in St. Louis. They have a 9-year offer on the table for a crazy amount of money. Frankly I'm not sure what else the guy wants.

It may have been clear but to make my opinion explicit, I don't think Fielder is going to hold up well. You're dead on about AL teams who can DH him in a few years.

Pretty sure he wants to sign with someone who has a chance of at least making the playoffs. He wont sign with Baltimore.

I think so too BUT his agent is Scott Boras.

Fielder said money was not an issue and he wants to go where he will be comfortable. Not sure what that means exactly but over-paying may not be enough. Despite Boras. Interesting to hear the Jays in the mix on him. Can't remember the last time they made a big splash during the hit stove.

oh i wouldnt be surprised if either of them pushed for a 5-7 year deal... theres not much on the market this year, and wth reyes pretty much gone... they're pretty much the only prizes to be had

I have heard they are both looking for 10 year deals.

anything over 3 years for Pujols is a disaster? Are you serious? While I agree that he will start to go down hill at some point, having him for the next three years on your team is worth it to every team even if they pay him for 6 years. He alone will bolster ticket sales, merch, etc and make many teams that are contenders that much more a serious threat.

Also, I love Ozzie. So underrated as a manager.

The normal baseball plays shows a significant drop in production at the age of 35. Unless he takes steroids he won't be able to continue his numbers. If you think having him for the next three years will make up for the last three why not just go ahead and pay him $40 million a year for three years.

And Ozzie is a jackass.

Contracts over 5 years don't generally work out when players are at that age. Guess it is just a cost of doing business?

Out of curiosity, you think that Fielder is worth a longer contract than Pujols. Is that purely based on age?

Yes. Prince is 27 vs. Pujols is 31. Also look at the games played the last three years between the two Prince 162, 161, 162 and Albert 160, 159, 147.

Yeah 5 years he will be 32 and should start fading away.

Also, Prince Albert haha.

Sounds like the Angels are the favorites for Wilson but Im scared its going to be something near $100M which he doesnt deserve at all. He's not even really a #1 starter and if you're giving a pitcher a $100M+ contract they better be a #1 type starter. He's a great pither and Id love to have him on the Angels but he would probably be the #3 guy in their rotation. He's only been a starter for 2 years. He does not deserve that kind of money. Im hoping its more in the $60-$70M range.

Also it sounds like Hanley isnt ready to move to 3B and would rather be traded than change positions. If this is true the Marlins really are stupid.

I think it's awesome for you that the angels are willing to spend that kind of money...having said that, CJ Wilson will not be worth the kind of money he will get. Especially if you are looking for him to do something in the playoffs.

Yea Im loving the new GM so far. Reagins would way over spend on shit they didnt even need (like picking up Wells for $80M/4years when we have Trout ready to play any day at that point). Im ok with over spending a little on things the team can actually use and Wilson would be a great addition to that rotation. I agree that he's gonna get way more than he deserves. Hopefully he just wants to play in Anaheim and settles for under $80M. Kinda ridiculous someone would have to "settle" for $80M to play baseball but it is what it is.

Apparently Pujols has 3 offers in hand for 10 years/$200M+. Thats fucking insane.

Sounds like its between the Cards, Marlins and one "mystery team" and like it should all decided soon.

At least 3 guys are gonna sign $100M+ contracts this offseason. Possibly 4.

At least 1 of them is going to be for $200M+ and who know how much Fielder is gonna get. He could possibly get that much too if there's 3 teams offering that to Pujols. Insane.

EDIT: Apparently the Angels are the mystery team. Not sure I believe it and I hope they aren't.