MLB Discussion

But I did hear that the Cubs are now in the bidding. Theo Epstein had the highest posting bid in major league history for a Japanese player when he posted $51 million before being able to negotiate with Daisuke Matsuzaka. You think he'll go in just as hard for Darvish?

I don't think the Sox will spend big here. I'd be shocked to see them commit a lot of money to anyone this off season, especially in this situation.

But Theo is now spending Cubs money. Not the Sox.

To answer the question based on Google search results.......

Google Japan results for Ichiro:

Ichiro Suzuki - 4,910,000

Suzuki Ichiro - 8,950,000

鈴木 一朗 - 631,000

TOTAL: 14,491, 000 search results

Google Japan results for Matsui:

Hideki Matsui - 1,860,000

Matsui Hideki - 3,570,000

松井 秀喜 - 4,770,000

TOTAL: 10,200,000 search results

Your original comment was that he was a bigger star though. More homeruns dont equate to bigger star. Johnny Damon was a huge star while in boston, but his numbers werent great. Starpower is based on something totally different. Fans love him much more than Matsui. The allstar is voted on by fans and he set records in that.

I wonder why they chose to pursue Darvish for so much and not Wilson? That is assuming that they sign him for more than a 25 million contract.

Again, I wonder if it is due to potential baseball related revenue. If they speculate that Darvish has a higher upside, or about equal as Wilson, then maybe interest from a new market tipped the scales.

Or maybe Wilson got more years than they wanted to offer but they had the money so this is somewhat of a contingency plan.

I wonder why they chose to pursue Darvish for so much and not Wilson? That is assuming that they sign him for more than a 25 million contract.

Again, I wonder if it is due to potential baseball related revenue. If they speculate that Darvish has a higher upside, or about equal as Wilson, then maybe interest from a new market tipped the scales.

Or maybe Wilson got more years than they wanted to offer but they had the money so this is somewhat of a contingency plan.

I think its a little of both. He will likely bring in more revenue than Wilson would have and rumor is that they only wanted to go like 4 years for Wilson. Hopefully this ends up similar to the DiceK situation. They say he has top of the rotation type of stuff but so did DiceK and Darvish isnt exactly pitching the the greatest players in the world every time he goes out there either.

The Braun situation is kind of weird. So he tested positive for medication for a "private medical issue." What issue could possibly be worth concealing if it meant people assuming he's a roider? I'd probably admit to having a baby dick if it meant that a possible hall of fame legacy was untarnished.

Hopefully this ends up similar to the DiceK situation. They say he has top of the rotation type of stuff but so did DiceK and Darvish isnt exactly pitching the the greatest players in the world every time he goes out there either.

As a Sox fan, I can tell you I don't wish a DiceK situation on ANYONE.

Total shitshow from day one.

Hopefully this ends up similar to the DiceK situation. They say he has top of the rotation type of stuff but so did DiceK and Darvish isnt exactly pitching the the greatest players in the world every time he goes out there either.

As a Sox fan, I can tell you I don't wish a DiceK situation on ANYONE.

Total shitshow from day one.

Whatever happened to that pitch he was suppose to have that was really hard to hit? Did he ever throw it?

Im going with transgender.

First (kind of) woman in professional sports? I don't know how you would keep that a secret and if you could, is that really worse than taking steroids? Aren't the drugs the give transgenders to turn them into men basically just steroids anyways?

Definitely sounds like a plausible idea.

My source says herpes treatment.

Why wouldn't he just admit this? To a pro ball player, I would think Herpes is a smaller deal than PEDs. Not saying that if he admitted to having Herpes it would take away the ban, but maybe would improve the baseball community's opinion of him.

i had an interesting thought on Darvish last night. What if the Rangers offered a high bid to just block another team from getting him? They arent out the money if they cant agree to a contract. So if they were afraid of the Angels or Yankees or another team threatening their hold on the AL they could just post a bid they know will be large enough to win. Then not put up a contract offer tehy know will be signed and after 30 days of "negotiating" Darvish goes back to Japan for the year.

i had an interesting thought on Darvish last night. What if the Rangers offered a high bid to just block another team from getting him? They arent out the money if they cant agree to a contract. So if they were afraid of the Angels or Yankees or another team threatening their hold on the AL they could just post a bid they know will be large enough to win. Then not put up a contract offer tehy know will be signed and after 30 days of "negotiating" Darvish goes back to Japan for the year.

This wouldn't shock me at all...

This wouldn't shock me at all...

Wouldnt all the other teams get a chance to negotiate with him after if the Rangers dont sign him?

If that does happen then thats a pretty shitty move because you're fucking with someone's career.

Travis, not on the posting to Japan. The teams have four days to put in blind bids. Then the japanease team has four days to accept it. (So far they have always accepted it) Then the team has 30 days to negotiate the contract, if a contract is not reached within the 30 day window then the winning bid is returned to the team. The player has NO say in it at all besides denying the contract offers. Other teams do not get a chance to negotiate at all. The player has to return to Japan and can post again next year.

Travis, not on the posting to Japan. The teams have four days to put in blind bids. Then the japanease team has four days to accept it. (So far they have always accepted it) Then the team has 30 days to negotiate the contract, if a contract is not reached within the 30 day window then the winning bid is returned to the team. The player has NO say in it at all besides denying the contract offers. Other teams do not get a chance to negotiate at all. The player has to return to Japan and can post again next year.

Gotcha, I thought other teams could talk to him if the team with the winning bid didnt sign him. Weird system.

My source says herpes treatment.

Why wouldn't he just admit this? To a pro ball player, I would think Herpes is a smaller deal than PEDs. Not saying that if he admitted to having Herpes it would take away the ban, but maybe would improve the baseball community's opinion of him.

it could be any number of things.. im on steroids every year due to being very allergic to poison ivy... theres so many number of things that he legit could be on.. i'd imagine alot of them are things you wouldnt want to be public knowledge

Gotcha, I thought other teams could talk to him if the team with the winning bid didnt sign him. Weird system.

look at the country you're talking about.

it could be any number of things.. im on steroids every year due to being very allergic to poison ivy... theres so many number of things that he legit could be on.. i'd imagine alot of them are things you wouldnt want to be public knowledge

I just think the number of things that would be worth taking a steroid rap over to prevent the public from finding out about is very small. The transgender thing makes sense. AIDS would be another one (ever seen Bigger, Stronger, Faster where that with AIDS claims that steroids have kept him alive?). Not much else. Maybe he is just thinking "This is going to be a legal matter. Best not to disclose information."