MLB Discussion

can i point out the potential metropolitan markets the playoffs might have?  KC has a 3% chance of getting in, texas has 30% chance, really hoping TX does not make it only because they'd be the 2nd largest market and would kick out clevelands minimarket.

12.8 mil - LAD

6.4 mil - TXR (not in)

5.4 mil - ATL

4.5 mil - BOS

4.4 mil - OAK

4.4 mil - DET

2.8 mil - STL

2.7 mil - TAM

2.3 mil - PIT

2.1 mil - CIN

2.0 mil - CLE

2.0 mil - KC (not in)

machado may not even need surgery. wow. good for him, though, seriously.

Todd Helton was easily one of the best hitters in baseball in the early 2000s. If his performance didn't drop off so much in his 30s, I'd say he's a hall of famer easily.

he was such a beast. i think he pretty much had to keep playing to give cooperstown a real shot, though. early retirement would have disqualified him more quickly than not playing

can i point out the potential metropolitan markets the playoffs might have?  KC has a 3% chance of getting in, texas has 30% chance, really hoping TX does not make it only because they'd be the 2nd largest market and would kick out clevelands minimarket.

12.8 mil - LAD

6.4 mil - TXR (not in)

5.4 mil - ATL

4.5 mil - BOS

4.4 mil - OAK

4.4 mil - DET

2.8 mil - STL

2.7 mil - TAM

2.3 mil - PIT

2.1 mil - CIN

2.0 mil - CLE

2.0 mil - KC (not in)

Would it make more sense to go based on attendance numbers (as a surrogate for the total number of people who would watch a game)? Not sure if a team like TB has changed things around but they used to win a lot of games in front of empty seats. Cleveland might actually get more viewers for MLB than TB or Pitt.

Would it make more sense to go based on attendance numbers (as a surrogate for the total number of people who would watch a game)? Not sure if a team like TB has changed things around but they used to win a lot of games in front of empty seats. Cleveland might actually get more viewers for MLB than TB or Pitt.

after missing the playofs or 21 years?  doubt cleveland gets more viewers

I didn't check the numbers at first but Tampa is last in MLB with 18,600 fans per home game. Cleve not that much better with 19,500 (3rd worst).

But there are teams with small markets who draw a lot of fans (Pitt with 28k, Cincinnati with 31k, both higher than Oakland at 22k). Even KC at 21.6k might make MLB more money in the playoffs than Tampa. Not sure if market size or home attendance is a better indicator for how many people will watch a playoff game. Just throwing the idea out there.

decided to look it up: three no-hitters broken up with one out left this year, joining 1990 and 1975. 1988 had the most in one season (4), and infamously saw dave stieb lose two no-hitters with one out left in the same week.

i didn't know aj burnett was 36. i thought 34 tops. i thought his decision to retire was weird but eh, it's not. i think a taste of the postseason (if the pirates) go deep could sway him to stay especially if the pirates contend again next year.