MLB Discussion

I would enjoy it, I still predict the Nationals winning the NL East in 2013 with or without Fielder in the mix.

That hinges on a lot of raw talent turning into top shelf talent. It can certainly happen, but dont be surprised if a few of those big names flame out before they make the bigs.

I would enjoy it, I still predict the Nationals winning the NL East in 2013 with or without Fielder in the mix.

That hinges on a lot of raw talent turning into top shelf talent. It can certainly happen, but dont be surprised if a few of those big names flame out before they make the bigs.

They already have a bunch of good talent in the bigs already (and Harper) Stasburg, Zimmermann and Zimmerman, Morse, Ramos, etc.

the AL next year looks like it will be Yanks, Rangers, Angels, Detroit, and then probably the Rays or Toronto in the playoffs.

I really hope the nationals can become what it looks like theyre moving towards... the NL east would be really fun to watch again with phils/nats/braves/marlins fighting it out.... and the mets just continuing to screw everything up.

the AL next year looks like it will be Yanks, Rangers, Angels, Detroit, and then probably the Rays or Toronto in the playoffs.

I really hope the nationals can become what it looks like theyre moving towards... the NL east would be really fun to watch again with phils/nats/braves/marlins fighting it out.... and the mets just continuing to screw everything up.

Yea the AL is gonna be fun to watch. Angels and Rangers are going to battle it out in the West. Detroit should win the central but the Indians might surprise some people. The East will be the Yanks and maybe the Rays but I wouldnt ever count the Red Sox out completely.

I agree the NL East will be crazy. Hopefully Fielder ends up with the Nats. I cant wait to see the train wreck that is the Marlins though. Ozzie is a crazy fuck already and now he's got Zambrano to deal with and an unhappy All Star shortstop making a move to 3B that he doesnt really want to go thru with. Plus Reyes should be out for the season by May haha. Im imagining a lot of hilarious rants from Ozzie this year.

I would think the Red Sox are still favored over the Rays. I know the Rays are good and have a lot of talent, the Sox pitching staff isn't elite, but that is possibly the best lineup in baseball. You have Carl Crawford hitting 7th! Lester, Beckett, Buchholz could all conceivably win 20 games (good talent with a giant offense).

I'm looking forward to Spring Training so I can listen to the Mets fans get their hopes up on the radio then listen in May when reality settles in.

The Yanks have been very quiet which for once I'm happy about. There were only a couple decent arms out there and they didn't overspend on them.

Fielder to the Nats? That would make me a happy camper. I like the direction of that club and with Strasburg/Zimmerman at the top of that rotation I think they might surprise a few folks.

The Angels remind me alot of the Braves in the 90's. Got a good team, can make the playoffs, but cant seem to do shit in the playoffs.

This is so far from accurate.

Braves

99 - Lost WS

98 - Lost NLCS

97 - Lost NLCS

96 - Lost WS

95 - Won WS

94 - Strike

93 - Lost NLCS (Old Playoff Format)

92 - Lost WS (Old Playoff Format)

91 - Lost WS (Old Playoff Format)

90 - Did Not Make Playoffs

During the 90's they won 1 world series and played in 4 more. The only years they didn't win a playoff series were 94, 93, and 90.

I would enjoy the Nationals even being okay. Since becoming the nationals they have never had a winning season and finished last in their division all but two years. That is bad.

This is so far from accurate.

Braves

99 - Lost WS

98 - Lost NLCS

97 - Lost NLCS

96 - Lost WS

95 - Won WS

94 - Strike

93 - Lost NLCS (Old Playoff Format)

92 - Lost WS (Old Playoff Format)

91 - Lost WS (Old Playoff Format)

90 - Did Not Make Playoffs

During the 90's they won 1 world series and played in 4 more. The only years they didn't win a playoff series were 94, 93, and 90.

I consider winning one world series when you won your division 14 straight years and went to the series 5 times to be pretty much a shit playoff team. Something is wrong if you are dominating that much in the season, but cant seem to win when it really matters.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120107&content_id=26284576&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Posada announces his retirement. I knew he wasn't gonna be a Yankee next year, but a lot of teams were interested in him as a back up DH or catcher. Although the numbers won't show (well PS will), at least he ended the bad season on a high-note.

I kinda like Cantu. He has put up some legitimate big seasons. Not sure he has half that spark left though. Could do a lot worse at a backup infielder spot.

Problem is the Angels already have 2 players just like him...Izturis and Collaspo. They are both better than Cantu though but I guess if they sign Cantu they can trade one of the other two who will both cost more than Cantu. I dunno, seemed like a weird player to go after right now.

EDIT: They signed Cantu to a minor league deal. They will likely still trade Izturis or Collapso though. My guess would be Izturis.

What's the word on Fielder? Where is he going to end up?

According to the Toronto media he's still going to end up as a Blue Jay. This off season has been very annoying up here in Canada. Every free agent has had a potential of coming to Toronto according to Toronto media.

Now the big story is that the Jays are going to trade for King Felix.

I would think the Red Sox are still favored over the Rays. I know the Rays are good and have a lot of talent, the Sox pitching staff isn't elite, but that is possibly the best lineup in baseball. You have Carl Crawford hitting 7th! Lester, Beckett, Buchholz could all conceivably win 20 games (good talent with a giant offense).

The Sox could have the best line-up in baseball, but they still have a couple of holes. I don't think they have the pitching to make a solid run this year.