MLB Discussion

Anyone else look at these sports threads and wonder why a sport that is vastly inferior to both baseball and football (NHL Hockey) has more posts?

Yup, back in the day I followed hockey a lot. Like when Gretzky was on the Kings but I havent followed hockey in years and really have no interest in it. Going to games is a lot of fun though.

I understand baseball having the so many posts, not just because it is the greatest sport, but because it has the longest season and even during the off-season there is so much trade rumor, team changing talk. Besides Travis, Sammy Goodcore still has the 2nd most posts in this thread and he hasn't been on hear in over a year and a half.

I love how Boras is saying that the Phils agreed to Madson and then signed Papelbon behind his back. I wonder if Boras is the reason why Prince hasnt signed a deal yet and teams are fed up with dealing with his shit.

I think thats part of the reason but I think they are waiting to see what happens between Texas and Darvish. If they cant reach an agreement, I fully expect the Rangers to be in big time on Fielder and Im sure Boras knows that.

Still really hoping he ends up in Washington. Id be super bummed if he went to the Rangers.

I would like to see him in Texas, he would be a good fit there especially since he will have to DH most likely. Washington would be nice to see as they could make a run at things in a few years if everything pans out right, but he shouldnt sign with an NL team if he signs for more than 4 years.

I would think the Red Sox are still favored over the Rays. I know the Rays are good and have a lot of talent, the Sox pitching staff isn't elite, but that is possibly the best lineup in baseball. You have Carl Crawford hitting 7th! Lester, Beckett, Buchholz could all conceivably win 20 games (good talent with a giant offense).

The Sox could have the best line-up in baseball, but they still have a couple of holes. I don't think they have the pitching to make a solid run this year.

All the dollar store pitching signings lately. Looks like they want to fund their Bartolo.

the red sox have an amazing lineup on paper.. put then again go look at the yanks lineups thru the mid 00's... they were all stacked to the gills.. and they couldn't win... but their late 90's teams had all role players who clicked at the right time... the backs of the baseball cards rarely tell the whole story

The sox have the same lineup as they had last year, all a year older. They arent that great on paper. Youk is an average player, Ellsbury had a standout season last year and was well above all expectations for him, Ortiz is another year older and slowing even more. Pedroria and A-Gon are really the only reliable everyday players they have. Expecting that 3 of their pitchers can win 20 games in that division is just crazy talk.

Also I'm seeing the rotation as:

Sabathia

Pineda

Burnett

Kuroda

Garcia

Even though Burnett showed some improvement toward the end of the season, I don't see him making it to spring training in a Yankees uniform. Unless of course no one wants to touch him, which is quite possible.

And being a Yankees fan, I'm still not sure how I feel about giving up Montero. He looked real promising at the big league level. Only time will tell I guess. And we did need pitching bad.

I've looked at this trade and Pineda's 2nd half numbers are plain bad. The Yankees have to know something we don't because a great 1st half means nothing, it's after teams have seen your stuff and face you again that you can really judge. I hate this trade and cringe to turn on WFAN today to listen to callers.

everything is up in the air.... either the dude cracks pitching under NYC scrutiny... or else he becomes even nastier when he can go after hitters because he has an elite offense behind him thats gonna average 4 runs a game so he doesn't have to worry about losing the game if he gives up one run.... any word on that other guy the yanks got?

I've looked at this trade and Pineda's 2nd half numbers are plain bad. The Yankees have to know something we don't because a great 1st half means nothing, it's after teams have seen your stuff and face you again that you can really judge. I hate this trade and cringe to turn on WFAN today to listen to callers.

Justify. You can't count wins for someone who plays on Seattle. Post All Star break whip was 1.22 (Same as Felix Hernandez on the year), BAA was .236 (to Felix's .248 on the year). 20 walks in 60 innings isn't horrible when combined with a very good BAA. More than a strikeout per inning.

His home run rate nearly doubled in the second half and he had more guys on base when he gave them up. That is pretty much the difference between a 3 ERA and a 5 when talking about 60 innings. There is no where near enough sample size to say that teams figured him out. Sometimes they hit the warning track, sometimes they go over. The guy is a stud.

Plus, you could make a case that pitchers need flow and consistency, and the Mariners fucked with his innings late last year. Could have played a factor.