MLB Discussion

As a Yankees fan my primary concern is seeing Burnett banished from the clubhouse. I am so sick of Girardi apologizing for that guy in interviews and post-game pressers. I wish for once he'd just be honest and say what everyone knows: He's been awful for two seasons and has shown no willingness to evolve from a power pitcher to one of finesse.

In two years the Yankees are going to have 8 DHs. I can't see them going for Fielder with A-Rod and Jeter advancing in years. And to be practical, Texeira is 31. If he can stay healthy he plays 1st until the end but that is a big IF in this game.

I miss Matsui :(

I'm already getting flack from my friends for being a Yankees fan (some things never change)

As a Yankees fan my primary concern is seeing Burnett banished from the clubhouse. I am so sick of Girardi apologizing for that guy in interviews and post-game pressers. I wish for once he'd just be honest and say what everyone knows: He's been awful for two seasons and has shown no willingness to evolve from a power pitcher to one of finesse.

I said it at the time and it's still true today. That was a pretty terrible contract. Speaking of the Yankees, I like the Pineda pickup!

I think Napoli is legit as well. I see him more in the .250 range, maybe a bit higher, but the power seems for real. I'm not sure the make-up of your league but even with those numbers I dunno about a keeper. Can't imagine he'd be off the board too quick.

I said it at the time and it's still true today. That was a pretty terrible contract. Speaking of the Yankees, I like the Pineda pickup!

I think Napoli is legit as well. I see him more in the .250 range, maybe a bit higher, but the power seems for real. I'm not sure the make-up of your league but even with those numbers I dunno about a keeper. Can't imagine he'd be off the board too quick.

5 X 5 standard yahoo rotisserie league, if that means anything to you. 14 dudes each keeping 4 players. If you could draft knowing that Napoli would repeat last season, he would be an easy 2nd rounder in a league drafting from scratch. As a first basemen, he wouldn't be ranked in the top 10 at the position but at catcher, he was the best offensive player (factoring in that he only played 110 or so games, so you could play another player on those off days and pick up an extra 20 runs and rbis, maybe 5 homers. Better to put up 80 RBIs in 110 games than 80 RBIs and use 140 to do it). With Victor out, the position just got even weaker too.

Other options would be Aramis Ramirez, Michael Morse, Pineda, Rivera, Melky Cabrera (not seriously considering keeping him, but his numbers last year at least warrant a mention). I won the league (and $1250...) because I had a team of solid players across the board. Makes the decision hard on my last keeper though because they are all pretty good players.

My others are Cano, Reyes, and Cliff Lee. Going into the draft having SS, 2B, C covered would be awesome. SO many good players at the corners and the OF that will be available later.

Can't wait for the draft. Would love to hear about some sleepers and players to watch for if you guys have them. Still a lot to shake out as far as who will make their teams and who will start in the minors though.

Fielder & Tigers reportedly agree on deal.

It's a shame for the Tigers that they won't have Victor Martinez this season to follow Cabrera and Fielder in the lineup.

And the race for 1st baseman in all star balloting will be absurd this year. Fielder and Pujols now joining Gonzolaz and Texiera...

Fielder & Tigers reportedly agree on deal.

It's a shame for the Tigers that they won't have Victor Martinez this season to follow Cabrera and Fielder in the lineup.

And the race for 1st baseman in all star balloting will be absurd this year. Fielder and Pujols now joining Gonzolaz and Texiera...

Too bad Tex will probably get voted in regardless.

Tigs lineup just got huge improvement, next year (assuming Victor comes back as his normal self), we will have the best run of 3 hitters in baseball.

not to be a homer, but if pedroia youk gonzo and ortiz pick up where they were in july & august, theyll have competition.

although, by '13, i cant imagine papi still having a spot in the conversation

Wow. ANOTHER 1B/DH. I don't get this deal at all. When VMart comes back next year, its going to cause some problems

Cabrera OK'ed a move back to 3rd. He will DH this year, then move for Victor. Gives him a lot of time to figure it out and practice. Obviously Cabrera at 3rd is a risk, but he worked his way to being a pretty good 1B. I don't think he will be a trainwreck and the offense is obviously greatly upgraded.

Probably gonna be another deal coming for the Tigers. Their #2 prospect behind Jacob Turner was a 3rd basemen (Nick Castellanos). He doesn't really have a place anymore and the Tigers are in a go for it now situation. Maybe Matt Garza?

I always thought he was a .300 hitter for some reason. Dude is a beast, though 9 years is crazy stupid for a player like him.

Rumor is he really didn't want to come to Detroit so they had to tack on a couple extra years. Weight is obviously a concern. He'll be 36 (maybe 37) at the end of the deal. 36 isn't THAT old. 9 years is risky for anyone but he should be very productive through the contract if he stays healthy and motivated.

5 X 5 standard yahoo rotisserie league, if that means anything to you. 14 dudes each keeping 4 players.

Keeping Napoli is just one of those things that doesn't feel right even if the numbers add up. And I don't know, but I don't think he'll repeat. He's sort of draft target for me but not sure I'd keep him. I'd almost keep Morse over him due to the upside.

Either way, if there is one thing I've learned. No one really fucking knows.

The Tigers were already going to win the Central haha

Cecil pretty much fell off after the '96 season, he put up pretty terrible numbers for him in '97 when he was only 34. Hopefully he'll be better than his Dad was for longer. Up to this point he's been better so Im sure he will be fine thru this contract.

Players with his type of body and power usually just dont last that long. Look at his dad, Mo Vaughn, Greg Vaughn, etc. Big fat power hitters tear down very easy. Cecil was a beast when he came back from Japan, but man, when he started his downturn he didnt waste anytime. come Prince's age 34 season, the Tigers are going to be wishing they werent still paying him 22 million a year.

Guest threegcoalman

Seems like the owner of the Tigers was the proprietor of this signing. I heard the baseball guys in the organization didn't really want to go for it, but that the owner acted quickly to fill the void left by V-Mart's injury. Would have never happened if he didn't go down.

On a side note, with Miggy now maybe moving to 3B, he is likely to be the No 1 fantasy pick now!