MLB Discussion

Did you get the regular or premium? I have a ps3 and it looks like I will have to get premium this year to watch on my system

I went premium. Haven't logged in in a couple days but it wouldn't let me watch spring training through my ps3. They still haven't "reset" it or whatever for this year. Could only watch last season's games.

I have premium too and had it last year for my ps3. It's awesome. The spring training games are avaliable for the ps3 on march 20th.

I did my fantasy baseball draft yesterday. It was an auction draft. I left it on auto bid and ended up with 7 closers. Don't know how I feel about that.

Assuming that you have some decent ones (Rivera, Kimbrell, Papelbon) trade some away to teams that dont have reliable ones. That, or if your league has WHIP and K/9 for pitching categories along with saves, you will kill in those areas.

Cant fucking wait for this season to start. Angels look awesome so far this year, that starting staff is going to be killer. Wilson has like a 0.64 ERA or something ridiculous so far this Spring.

Hopefully Trumbo can handle playing a little 3B cause he has been crushing the ball. Morales is suppose to have his first spring Training game this week. As long as him and Trumbo are healthy they are going to have a very powerful line up which is weird to say about the Angels.

Cant fucking wait for this season to start. Angels look awesome so far this year, that starting staff is going to be killer. Wilson has like a 0.64 ERA or something ridiculous so far this Spring.

Hopefully Trumbo can handle playing a little 3B cause he has been crushing the ball. Morales is suppose to have his first spring Training game this week. As long as him and Trumbo are healthy they are going to have a very powerful line up which is weird to say about the Angels.

Most people (ones that do it for a living) arent projecting Trumbo or Morales to hit more than 17 home runs or have an batting ave over .256. Also tie in the fact taht Trumbo wasnt able to train at 3rd over the winter due to bone spurs or he still needs to learn that. The lineup doesnt do much for me besides Kendrick and Pujols, and even Kendrick doesnt look as good as before. He will score runs just cause of Pujols, but many arent even thinking he will hit .300 again.

As far as the staff goes, the top 3 look great, Santana is an average pitcher masquarading as an ace by the Angels PR team.

Most people (ones that do it for a living) arent projecting Trumbo or Morales to hit more than 17 home runs or have an batting ave over .256. Also tie in the fact taht Trumbo wasnt able to train at 3rd over the winter due to bone spurs or he still needs to learn that. The lineup doesnt do much for me besides Kendrick and Pujols, and even Kendrick doesnt look as good as before. He will score runs just cause of Pujols, but many arent even thinking he will hit .300 again.

As far as the staff goes, the top 3 look great, Santana is an average pitcher masquarading as an ace by the Angels PR team.

I know this team pretty well and they will easily be one of the top teams in all of baseball this year. Anyone who thinks Trumbo and Morales are under 20 HR/year guys are fucking insane and has absolute no clue what they are talking about. Both have insane power and Morales is a really good hitter overall. We'll see how Trumbo's avg. comes along but he's likely a .250-.275 hitter. Both of those guys have 30+ HR type of power. Trumbo will get some games at 3B, even if his defense isnt great as long as he can make the routine plays he will get in the line up cause he can mash. If teams wanna bunt on him then go for it. He's had his ups and downs so far at 3B this Spring. He's athletic enough to where I think he can get a good amount of starts at 3B this year and he's got a very strong arm. Plus they may play him in LF a little and DH too.

Kendrick is on a fucking terror right now in the Spring so I dunno where you're getting that he's not looking good but he's going to mash the ball this year hitting ahead of Pujols. Dude is a fast ball hitter and thats all he's going to see this year. He's hitting like .500 so far this Spring and playing solid defense. He could easily be a 20 HR type of guy hitting in front of Pujols. He hit 17 or so last year. He will also be a .300 hitter again this year. No doubt about it.

Wells should bounce back at least some what this year. He cant get any worse plus if he is sucking its going to be Trout's job really quick. Hunter can still hit and play D and he'll have pressure to step up this year with a lot of OF competition on the team. Just having Pujols in the line up is going to help these guys out.

As far as their staff goes its easily in the top 3 in baseball. No one is calling Santana an ace but he'll easily be one of the top #4 guys in the league. He'd be a #2 on a lot of teams, #3 at most. I think its either them or the Phillies that have the best starting staff and I think the Angels' is deeper. Angels have a better and more established staff and TB.

1. Aybar - SS

2. Kendrick - 2B

3. Pujols - 1B

4. Morales - DH

5. Hunter - RF

6. Wells - LF

7. Trumbo - 3B

8. Ianetta - C

9. Bourjos - CF

Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana, Richards/Williams

Id put that up against any team in the league right now. The West is going to be tough but I think the Angels edge it out with their pitching.

1. There is no way that The Angels have a better and more established staff than Philly. Wilson has been good for two seasons, so he is the same as Cole Hamels was in 08. Also, he cashed in on being the only big name starter on the market, like Lackey did with Boston. Haren and Weaver dont come close to being as established as Lee and Halladay.

Ianetta is an improvement over Mathis for sure, but still getting excited over a guy who has hit .171/.321/.266 outside of Coors Field is a scary thing. Wells is pegged to hit .245/.293/406 which is better from last year for sure, but still not what you want out of a corner outfielder. Trumbo has talent for sure, but has a terrible eye (something he admits). Hell, he walked 25 times last year total, in almost 600 at bats. He is sure to see less at bats this year and will be challeneged even more than ever at the plate, while also trying to develop an eye in his late 20s which usually doesnt happen in the majors. Trout will be great for sure, just not when he is 20. Wait till he is 22 or 23 and he could be the next junior Griffey, but not now. As I said, Kendrick is good, and the best everyday player the Angels had last year, but he wont hit .300 again (hasnt done it since 08 at the latest).

All that said, they should be able to compete with the Rangers in the division, but still need to get past the three powerhouses in the AL East before getting to the WS. I dont like how they stack up compared to any of those three.

1. There is no way that The Angels have a better and more established staff than Philly. Wilson has been good for two seasons, so he is the same as Cole Hamels was in 08. Also, he cashed in on being the only big name starter on the market, like Lackey did with Boston. Haren and Weaver dont come close to being as established as Lee and Halladay.

Ianetta is an improvement over Mathis for sure, but still getting excited over a guy who has hit .171/.321/.266 outside of Coors Field is a scary thing. Wells is pegged to hit .245/.293/406 which is better from last year for sure, but still not what you want out of a corner outfielder. Trumbo has talent for sure, but has a terrible eye (something he admits). Hell, he walked 25 times last year total, in almost 600 at bats. He is sure to see less at bats this year and will be challeneged even more than ever at the plate, while also trying to develop an eye in his late 20s which usually doesnt happen in the majors. Trout will be great for sure, just not when he is 20. Wait till he is 22 or 23 and he could be the next junior Griffey, but not now. As I said, Kendrick is good, and the best everyday player the Angels had last year, but he wont hit .300 again (hasnt done it since 08 at the latest).

All that said, they should be able to compete with the Rangers in the division, but still need to get past the three powerhouses in the AL East before getting to the WS. I dont like how they stack up compared to any of those three.

I meant to say they have a better and more established staff THAN TB. Typo, my bad. I still dont think Halliday/Lee are that much better than Weaver/Haren at this point in their careers. Haren is way underrated. He's put up 200+ innings for like 7 straight years. Wilson and Hammels could be a toss up, Hamels has been better for longer but Wilson is looking killer so far this year and he'll be pitching in a less hitter-friendly park this year and he doesnt have to be the ace of the staff. Santana is better than whoever the Phillies have in their #4 slot.

No one is getting excited over Ianetta, he's gonna be the #8 hitter. Anyone is an upgrade over Mathis but no one's counting on Ianetta for big offensive production. Wells will be better than he was last year, he's under more pressure to perform and like I said, Trout is reeady to go any day now. I know he's young but the guy's a stud and is ready to play now. He obviously isnt in his prime yet so he's only going to get better but Im fine with him being the every day LF for now. He can handle it. I understand Trumbo doesnt walk a lot but he was only a rookie last year. He will learn how to take a pitch and having Pujols around will only help him. He's got serious power, he hit 29 HRs as a rookie in a terrible lineup with no protection at all and once he lears to take a pitch its only going to help his average. Im telling you, Kendrick is going to mash the ball this year, Id be completely shocked if he doesnt hit .300+. Having Pujols behind him is going to help a ton. He's a career .292 hitter without Pujols behind him. You really dont think he can have a season hitting .300 again? C'mon!

Im way less worried about anyone in the AL East compared to the Rangers. I think the Rangers are better than all 3 of those teams and I think the Angels are going to win the West and Im confident they could beat any team in baseball in a 7 game series with the staff they have. Im not saying the Angels will for sure win the WS but they are definitely a top contender to do so. I think their lineup will surprise some people who only know what they know about the Angels by looking up stats. I follow this team very closely and they are damn good and every team in baseball should be worried about them. Im fine with them being underrated though. I dont think any of the AL East teams have anything on the Angels at all. Everyone is just use to the AL East being the powerhouse division but I think there are 2 teams in the West that are better than everyone else in the AL.

You bring up a good point about learning from Pujols. I really wonder how much wisdom he will impart on his teammates. Will he be like Bonds and stay in his own little area with a part of the clubhouse dedicated soley to him, or will he be talking with the younger guys and teaching them the stuff he knows? That could make or break a lot of talent. Imagine if Trout was tutored by Pujols? He will be a monster.

My issue with the Angels lineup is no player has played to their ceiling with them yet. They have a lot of potential, but none of them have played to it fully. I guess you could say Hunter is an exception, but he came in an established superstar.

I agree with you about Haren. I think he is the real ace of the team. Everyone focuses on Weaver while Haren just comes in and shuts everyone down. Wilson doesnt need to worry about being the ace, but he also could completely mail it in now that he is making his money ala Gary Matthews Jr.

Get Scocia off his love of defense only catchers and get league average hitting out of the catcher and the team will be so much better. I seriously believe that they should let the pitchers hit and have the DH hit for the catcher and the team would win more games.

You bring up a good point about learning from Pujols. I really wonder how much wisdom he will impart on his teammates. Will he be like Bonds and stay in his own little area with a part of the clubhouse dedicated soley to him, or will he be talking with the younger guys and teaching them the stuff he knows? That could make or break a lot of talent. Imagine if Trout was tutored by Pujols? He will be a monster.

My issue with the Angels lineup is no player has played to their ceiling with them yet. They have a lot of potential, but none of them have played to it fully. I guess you could say Hunter is an exception, but he came in an established superstar.

I agree with you about Haren. I think he is the real ace of the team. Everyone focuses on Weaver while Haren just comes in and shuts everyone down. Wilson doesnt need to worry about being the ace, but he also could completely mail it in now that he is making his money ala Gary Matthews Jr.

Get Scocia off his love of defense only catchers and get league average hitting out of the catcher and the team will be so much better. I seriously believe that they should let the pitchers hit and have the DH hit for the catcher and the team would win more games.

Pujols is the opposite of Bonds. He seems like a really good, down to earth guy and I already read an article about how Trout found himself alone in the cage one morning with Pujols and Pujols basically came over and gave him some tips. I think Pujols is more likely the type of guy who would mentor the young guys rather than ignore them. He could be a huge asset for the Angels even aside from how great of a player he is just for how much he can teach some young guys like Trout, Trumbo, Morales, Bourjos and Kendrick...

I really feel like this is the year guys like Kendrick and Aybar really turn it on offensively. Boujos now has a full season under his belt and he is only going to get better. Trumbo has a full year of experience and he will get better at the plate. I think the real key to the Angels is if Morales and Trumbo can stay healthy which is seems like they are as of right now and if Trumbo can get enough innings at 3B so they can get his bat in the line up more often. Next year Hunters huge contract comes off the books so they could look to sign a 3B and put Trumbo in right and Trout in LF. Trumbo could handle the OF pretty easily I think. He's got the arm and the power to play RF and would be easier than 3B. Getting ahead of myself though.

Haren is a stud for sure. He just goes out there every start and does his thing and is somewhat under the radar as far as SP's go. I think Wilson will have a big year. I dont see him sitting back and trying to coast. He grew up an Angel fan from OC and he seems really excited to be playing back at "home" again. So far he's been almost un-hitable this spring.

Yea I agree, Scioscia had too much control for the team's own good. I mean who the fuck trades Napoli and keeps Mathis? Ive said it a million times that I knew Napoli could hit like that if he ever got the chance. Well maybe not like he did last year but I knew he would be so much better than Mathis and have that 30 HR type of power. Plus he played good defense most of the year, especially in the playoffs/WS. I know Reagins was the GM but apparently Scioscia was the coach, manager, and GM for years. He had a huge hard on for Mathis that NO ONE understood. He was statistically one of the worst offensive players in the league. Yea he was good behind the plate but so are a ton of other guys. I dont think anyone is saying Ianetta is the answer to the catching position but he'll be fine for this year. Hopefully Conger can reach some of his potential and become the every day catcher cause he's got potential to be a really good offensive catcher. I woudldnt DH for the catcher though haha, no matter how bad Ianetta is hitting their SP's would be worse and it leaves more room for injury.

Its going to be an exciting year.

Between the Angels, Rangers, Tigers, Yankees, Red Sox and Rays the AL is going to be fun to watch.

I feel bad for Conger because he already lost a bit of trust in Scioscia last year, so if he falters any more at all (in his eyes) and its going to be another Napoli situation. Its all good to have a great defensive catcher, but they need to hit over .220 or it washes out in the runs column.

I just read that the Angels were hoping to get 30-40 games out of Trumbo at third this year. Barring an injury to Pujols, or a massive downturn by Wells again, it doesnt look like he will get enough playing time.

I still dont think Halliday/Lee are that much better than Weaver/Haren at this point in their careers.

You are wrong, and I have the stats to prove it.

(W-L, ERA, IP, SO)

Halladay

19-6, 2.35, 233.2, 220

Lee

17-8, 2.40, 232.2, 238

Weaver

18-8, 2.41, 235.2, 198

Haren

16-10, 3.17, 238.1, 192

Add on to that the AL West is a pitcher friendly division. The Angles are not as good of a team as Angles fans/media would have you believe.

Ryan Madson out for the season. Phillies got lucky with that one.

What I find odd is that he never threw a pith during spring training. You would think that when he took his physical they would have seen at least the warning signs of this happening. You dont just develop it one morning without throwing beforehand. Sucks for him though as he is a great pitcher and I wanted to see him succeed, always thought he was undervalued by the Phils.

I still dont think Halliday/Lee are that much better than Weaver/Haren at this point in their careers.

You are wrong, and I have the stats to prove it.

(W-L, ERA, IP, SO)

Halladay

19-6, 2.35, 233.2, 220

Lee

17-8, 2.40, 232.2, 238

Weaver

18-8, 2.41, 235.2, 198

Haren

16-10, 3.17, 238.1, 192

Add on to that the AL West is a pitcher friendly division. The Angles are not as good of a team as Angles fans/media would have you believe.

I didnt say Weaver and Haren were better than Halliday and Lee. I said I think think they arent that much better at this point and they arent THAT much better. Ill take the Angels starting staff over any other team's staff in the league though.

Everyone like's to hate on West Coast teams and hype up East Coast teams, which is fine but you'd be a fool to not think the Angels have as good of a shot at winning it all as any other team in the league this year. I dont need the media to tell me the Angels are good, turns out baseball is shown on TV.

Travis - I took Morales with my last pick of my draft as a cheap flier with upside. What is the buzz out there on the Left Coast? I think there is plenty of upside but I plan to keep a short leash since I don't have a ton of roster space to be patient with a comeback project. So, did I do well in your opinion?

(I also took Johan Santana the round before him since the reports in the NYC press leave me thinking he'll be better than Ervin Santana or Ted Lilly who were both still available)